What's new

Thar coal: MoU to set up 6,000MW power plants

Niaz Bhai, is it possible to mix higher quality coal with lower quality coal & thereby make it a better combustible mix in the same way that one can mix Ethanol & Petrol in Brazil & elsewhere ? :unsure:

Yes you can but no need. Coal is not burnt in an internal combustion engine.

In a normal coal based power station; at first coal goes thru mill where it is ground to very fine powder. Then it is mixed with hot air and blown into the furnace of the boiler where superheated high pressure steam is generated which in turn runs the turbines producing electricity. Spent steam is condensed and reused.

As you can see, coal is only used to generate heat in a boiler. Burning coal with low heat content only means that you need more of it. Of course you can mix anthracite or coke to improve quality. This would mean that you would use less fuel. But why bother, simply use more of the original feed.

By the way, delayed petroleum coke is one of the favourite alternate fuels for coal fired power plants. Only thing to remember is that fuels such as lignite and delayed petroleum coke have high sulphur content (4% or even more) and therefore flue gases require rigorous scrubbing to remove sulphur dioxide gas before the same can be released into the atmosphere.

How many times are they going to sign the same/similar MOU? I am tired of this 6000mw of nonsense when they only sign the mou's and keep signing and signing and signing with no practical work on ground.

Lets focus on development, lets start building it... How many more MOU's to sign

Patience bro.

If Engro says they will do it, then will do it.

The problem is that Engro wants to control the mining as well as power generation, so that they can take the coal for power generation and the rest of the coal they can sell to other companies. The government is creating bottlenecks on how to deal with taxation/royalties.

Plus the area in Thar where they are proposing this coal mining and power generation project is under developed. Building suitable infrastructure like roads, airfields etc are government's responsibilities. Engro cannot do that. Then you have to do a detailed feasibility study which can easily take 2 years or more before the power plant gets construction go ahead. Engro has to arrange for loans, about 1 Billion $ or more, which no local bank can provide. Thus the delay.

I can assure you that if government does it's part then Engro will deliver like they did with so many other projects.

My source of info is well classified, but trust me, i know Engro.:azn:

Yes you can but no need. Coal is not burnt in an internal combustion engine.

In a normal coal based power station; at first coal goes thru mill where it is ground to very fine powder. Then it is mixed with hot air and blown into the furnace of the boiler where superheated high pressure steam is generated which in turn runs the turbines producing electricity. Spent steam is condensed and reused.

As you can see, coal is only used to generate heat in a boiler. Burning coal with low heat content only means that you need more of it. Of course you can mix anthracite or coke to improve quality. This would mean that you would use less fuel. But why bother, simply use more of the original feed.

By the way, delayed petroleum coke is one of the favourite alternate fuels for coal fired power plants. Only thing to remember is that fuels such as lignite and delayed petroleum coke have high sulphur content (4% or even more) and therefore flue gases require rigorous scrubbing to remove sulphur dioxide gas before the same can be released into the atmosphere.
you seem to know alot about mining .... tell me if the claim about reko diq's deposits being worth more than $1 trillion is true. also tell me how many years will it take to mine all those minerals and if pakistan can do it without foreign help !!!!

you seem to know alot about mining .... tell me if the claim about reko diq's deposits being worth more than $1 trillion is true. also tell me how many years will it take to mine all those minerals and if pakistan can do it without foreign help !!!!

Hon Sir,

My primary field is Petroleum and secondary field of interest is Energy which includes natural gas, coal and renewable energy.

My only observation would be that after a lot of money & effort had been spent by the Tethyan Copper Company Supreme Courts decision against them was unfair. Firstly because this sent discouraging signal to foreign investors and secondly because this pushed the project back 5 – 10 years at the very least.

I know very little else about Reko Deq project or its geology. Sorry to disappoint you but I regret my inability to comment when I have nothing to add.

Wasn't BHP Billiton exploring the potential of Reko Deq.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom