What's new

Test firing of new air defense gun GDF-009 by Bangladesh Army

ghost250

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
The Bangladesh Army has procured two system brand New orlikon GDF-009 anti-aircraft gun systems from Switzerland.

The new weapon was demonstrated and tested by the Ad Hoc 46 Air Defense Regiment at the Nidania Air Defense Firing Range in Inani, Cox's Bazar. An RC PLANE was used as a target during test firing.

The Bangladesh Army has procured two system brand New orlikon GDF-009 anti-aircraft gun systems from Switzerland.

The new weapon was demonstrated and tested by the Ad Hoc 46 Air Defense Regiment at the Nidania Air Defense Firing Range in Inani, Cox's Bazar. An RC PLANE was used as a target during test firing.

Good i guess....but firing at stationery or such slow moving targets as a rc plane.... what does that really prove... its hardly replicating anything approaching real life scenario....

However lame these demonstrations are... i hope BA capacities are enhanced by these.

Good i guess....but firing at stationery or such slow moving targets as a rc plane.... what does that really prove... its hardly replicating anything approaching real life scenario....

However lame these demonstrations are... i hope BA capacities are enhanced by these.

Indian Rafales can no longer fly slow and low.

High speed target drones are usually used for such demos to give an accurate assessment. Are you sure it wasnt a target drone?.
Indian Rafales can no longer fly slow and low.
Pretty sure tejas can fly so low that people might mistake it as plane being transfered on a truck 😁

High speed target drones are usually used for such demos to give an accurate assessment. Are you sure it wasnt a target drone?.

Pretty sure tejas can fly so low that people might mistake it as plane being transfered on a truck 😁

I am not sure of anything.... probably was a target drone. These stunts are for general public consumption i guess. Hopefully underlying capability gives BA the capacity they need.

Oerlikon makes the best of the best of 35mm AA guns (even SPAAG versions) in the GDF series.

If we could get ToT for these then that'd be something, but these computerized systems are expensive and way beyond possibility (too much automation and too advanced a technology, impractical for local replication at our stage of industry).

We should keep these expensive computerized new systems as technology demonstrators and choose a better less advanced (manual) system from a friendly country (like Turkey) for ToT and local assembly/manufacture in numbers. That kind of less advanced manually operated AA gun are widely available to replicate under license and ToT.

The less advanced version of this specific Oerlikon (Rheinmetall) 35mm round GDF series (twin AA) is the GDF-003, which Turkey also manufactures under license (MKE GDF-003B). We can get assembly license from Turkey for that version. China also produces a licensed copy of the GDF-002 as the Type 90 AA gun which PLA uses. A self propelled version of the Type 90 in China is called the Type 09, see below. This is also built under Oerlikon license.

If needed, we can use some of our older Type 59/69 chassis in Bangladesh and use those as platforms for these guns. This will be excellent repurposing of the older Type 59's and 69's and will get us SPAAG platform at negligible extra outlay of funding.

PGZ-07_twin_35mm_self-propelled_anti-aircraft_gun_China_Chinese_army_PLA_defence_industry_military_technology_640.jpg

By the way the Gokdeniz CIWS is the Naval equivalent of GDF series with Skyguard FC radar and homing (and use of airburst ammunition) which possibly uses the same OERLIKON mechanism.

Pakistan also uses ~180 GDF-005 units, of which 60 units is AHEAD round (airburst round) modified, used with Skyguard FC radar.

We should get ToT for producing the airburst 35mm rounds for these guns as well, which is as effective as Phalanx or Type 730 CIWS gatling guns.

We can standardize Army AA platforms and Navy AA CIWS guns around these Rheinmetall platforms.

Last edited:

The purpose of this system is to mainly repel ground attack by low flying enemy aircraft. You still need SR, MR and LR SAM's for complete protection.
This system would buy time for our SAM batteries and fighter squadrons to react.

It's a radar controlled gun. Just because it was a stationery or slow moving targets doesn't mean it can't hit fast moving targets. Bangladesh uses AHEAD ammo which is an anti-missile round. Not sure how it'll do against missile but it's effective against drone-helicopter.

This target drone was used when it was inducted.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom