What's new

Tencent Holdings

Hafizzz

Reaction score
How This Chinese Company Could Overtake Facebook
How This Chinese Company Could Overtake Facebook

China's Tencent About To Overtake Facebook - Forbes

wechat-14-700x525.jpg

Despite having more than one billion users, Facebook (NASDAQ: FB ) could soon lose its dominant position in the social network space. According to WorldofCEOs founder Steve Tappin, Chinese investment holding company Tencent Holdings (NASDAQOTH: TCEHY ) is close to become the owner of the largest social network in the world, thanks to its mobile text and voice messaging communication service WeChat, which has experienced explosive growth since its release in January 2011.

Tencent is the leading Internet force in ChinaTencent Holdings owns two huge instant chat applications: QQ, designed for desktop, and WeChat, optimized for mobile. Together, these two applications handle more than one billion monthly active users, and just 65 million behind Facebook, which recently admitted that it is losing teen users. Furthermore, the amount of users Tencent handles every month is ten times the amount Chinese competitor and social network company, Renren (NYSE: RENN ) , manages.

The amazing growth story of WeChatWeChat was released in 2011, and has experienced massive growth in the past three quarters. Furthermore, the application has become popular not only among Chinese, but also overseas. To improve localization, Tencent Holdings released a collaborative translation platform, where fans help to translate the application into Arabic, Hebrew, Indonesian, Japanese, and several other languages. As a result, between May and September 2013, its overseas users doubled from 50 million to 100 million.

statista001ba_large.jpg

Now, considering that WeChat's international presence is relatively small, and that China alone has 460 million mobile web users, the growth story of this app could be just starting.

Monetization and revenue diversification matter
Since user growth not always translates into revenue growth, it's worth analyzing Tencent Holdings' monetization strategy. As a holding company, it owns several tech business units, from auction site paipai.com to a number of online multiplayer games. This allows Tencent Holdings to explore interesting cross-selling opportunities and synergies between its services. For example, the firm uses QQ to promote its games. The company also monetizes its applications directly via premium accounts, micro-transactions, and advertisement.

On the other hand, Facebook's revenue model is heavily dependent on advertising. According to the third quarter earnings call, revenues came in at $2.02 billion, up 60% from the year before. However, 90% of total revenues came from advertising. Since advertisement expenses change according to economic business cycles, Facebook's revenue could be more volatile than Tencent Holdings. Furthermore, according to Morningstar, several advertisers are unsure if they are spending money wisely on Facebook ads.

Tencent Holdings' revenue diversification and cross-selling ability is reflected in the company's fundamentals. Net profit rose 37% in the first quarter of 2013, and 19% in the second quarter. Advertising represents roughly one third of the company's total revenue. The good news is that, since the company is not monetizing WeChat yet, profitability should improve in the long run.

Notice that despite owning one of the biggest social networks in China with roughly 194 million active users, Renren is not profitable. Like Tencent Holdings, Renren has a rich portfolio of services, from online gaming to video sharing applications. However, the company is also investing heavily in mobile strategy and video acquisition to maintain its strong top line performance. This trade off reflects how challenging it is to run a profitable social network in the second largest economy, where there are several networks which exceed 100 million active users.

Despite its weak profitability, Renren deserves special attention due to its current valuation. The company's user base represents one fifth of Tencent Holdings' total user base. However, Renren's $1.27 billion market capitalization is well behind Tencent Holdings' $100 billion market value, a huge difference that suggests a potential upside for Renren. The company recently showed investors it can use the power of its social network to release new services like group-buying site nuomi.com, which giant Baidu valued at $271 million.

Final Foolish takeawayTencent Holdings will soon overtake Facebook, and become the largest social network. More important, the company's attractive growth prospects, diversified product portfolio, and previous experience monetizing QQ suggests that it won't have any problem in monetizing its latest application, WeChat. As a result, profitability and top-line performance should both improve.

Lol we chat still considered to be unknown outside Chinese speaking world, and it basically different than Facebook (it was closer to ICQ and IM) it will take them ages to "overtake" Facebook, what I mean ages means really long time

Wechat users around the world. What really surprises me is India has the second largest user groups, judging by green color.

WeChat-heatmap-worldwide-users_zps36286a51.jpg

The Value2020 team says that India is actually the second-most popular area for WeChat outside of its native China.

Just starting indeed.

Only about 30% on my QQ or mobile phone friends lists use WeChat。 
I am one of those who now use WeChat app to draw cash from ATMs。

Bank cards are being made redundant。:enjoy:

Last edited:
Unable to compete with QQ,MSN in Mainland China is now as good as dead。

Wechat users around the world. What really surprises me is India has the second largest user groups, judging by green color.

The Value2020 team says that India is actually the second-most popular area for WeChat outside of its native China.

Thats bcoz WeChat has been doing a LOT of advertisements n promotions in India for last 2 years.

But applications like WhatsApp r much more famous n common in India even though they don't do any promotions.

Another thing is that that though WeChat n QQ r nice platforms but i found them less user friendly in comparision to others n i think thats their biggest disadvantage.

Even though i too have WeChat in my mobile i hardly use it, infact i only used to chat with Chinese PDF friends...:lol:

not difficult to reach that number since China has a population of 1.2 billion people

I will also download one of these apps
Can't download them now cause i have made a Pledge not to waste my time till exams :smart:
& yet here i am all day on PDF
Arguing with people i have never met

Tencent's Wechat == Free Sexy On-line == Sexy with Strangers

Ur girls will be taught bad ... very bad by Chinese, LOL~!!! Most users of Wechar just search for sexy with strange girls ... a good tool made in China for SEXY !!!

Lol we chat still considered to be unknown outside Chinese speaking world, and it basically different than Facebook (it was closer to ICQ and IM) it will take them ages to "overtake" Facebook, what I mean ages means really long time

And how did you reach that conclusion? Based on your personal observation? How big is your social circle? yes I definitely should trust your individual observation than a professional article. lol back to you. 
Yes but how many of them have internet access?

Landline or mobile? I would say for landline it's probably 1/2, but you can always go to internet cafe for quick ***. For mobile, all as long as you have a cellphone. Then we are talking about smartphone app here. The problem is older generation older than 50 are probably not that interested

Last edited:
And how did you reach that conclusion? Based on your personal observation? How big is your social circle? yes I definitely should trust your individual observation than a professional article. lol back to you. 

Landline or mobile? I would say for landline it's probably 1/2, but you can always go to internet cafe for quick ***. For mobile, all as long as you have a cellphone. Then we are talking about smartphone app here. The problem is older generation older than 50 are probably not that interested

I use wechat and what apps too, and trust me, I know a lot of people in Australia, US and Sweden.

And bear in mind, I did not say we chat and what's apps did not use world wide, I say it virtually unheard of in non-Chinese speaking society
If you ask an Australian or American of non-Chinese background, majority (more than 5 out of 10) will say they never hear of we chat

And again, we hat designed unlike face books, you probably can complete with tweeter, but definitely not facebook

Beside, china banned Facebook and twitter remember? What else can they use in china? We chat were basically Unopposed in china and the majority of those user are in china of a ratio of 10 : 1 (1 billion : 100 millions) according to the article, how they fare in the real world, not protected world is an unknown

And finally, I don't know how "professional" can an article get from a source called "fool.com" which is where OP article is quoted, if you bother to read the Forbes article, you will see they paint a different picture

That is why even china have to unblock YouTube, Facebook and twitter in shanghai SEZ lol

Last edited:
Tencent's Wechat == Free Sexy On-line == Sexy with Strangers

Ur girls will be taught bad ... very bad by Chinese, LOL~!!! Most users of Wechar just search for sexy with strange girls ... a good tool made in China for SEXY !!!
lolz.... should I get it too then? :agree:

The reason why I downloaded WeChat was because of the recent NSA shiß. I worry less about the Chinese gov. spying on me since I'm pretty much out of reach for them. But the US has too many moles in our institutions. Now, I'm asking my friends to use WeChat as well and all of them think it's quite funny with all the little gimmicks.

Back
Top Bottom