What's new

Ten Pakistani Universities Ranked Among Top 300 in Asia in 2014

she meant the uni not Lahoriites:no::nono:
smileys-yes-and-no-364101.gif
smileys-yes-and-no-179998.gif

I meant Lahoris instead of Pakistanis.

Yet even today Pakistan can produce surplus energy!

Kia bolun ap jaise logon ke baare mei, sheep following sheep! The energy crisis that we face today is because of the inability of the Government to finance the production of electricity rather then the generation itself. Is it not a wonder to you that the whole country gets uninterrupted electricity for 3 days on the orders of PM? Where were we getting all that electricity from then?

I know the problem. Pakistan can't afford to spend many billions of dollars more on expensive electricity generated with oil. Energy projects are long term which Mushy and PPP ignored.

Coal power plant take 5 years, 1 year for planing and looking for investor and another 4 to build it. Dams take 10 years if work start and its not delayed. Same for nuclear power plants which take 8-9 years. See from Mushy era to PPP Pakistan wasted more then a decade without doing anything to improve energy situation.

Full disclosure: I am from NUST.

That being said, I don't understand how PIEAS manages to beat NUST in these lists. I have seen the people who went to PIEAS (no offense intented), they were the people who couldn't enter anywhere else. Not even Air University lol.

Full disclosure: I am from NUST.

That being said, I don't understand how PIEAS manages to beat NUST in these lists. I have seen the people who went to PIEAS (no offense intented), they were the people who couldn't enter anywhere else. Not even Air University lol.

QS is independent without any bias.

I know the problem. Pakistan can't afford to spend many billions of dollars more on expensive electricity generated with oil. Energy projects are long term which Mushy and PPP ignored.

Coal power plant take 5 years, 1 year for planing and looking for investor and another 4 to build it. Dams take 10 years if work start and its not delayed. Same for nuclear power plants which take 8-9 years. See from Mushy era to PPP Pakistan wasted more then a decade without doing anything to improve energy situation.

I cannot really bother wasting my time, you can search for Musharraf's interview on what was done for electricity under his Government. And the crux of this argument is that under Musharraf's governance we were so well off financially that even electricity generation through Oil wasn't a problem!!!!

Haq's Musings: 2014 QS Rankings: 10 Pakistani Universities Among Asia's Top 300

QS World University Rankings 2014 announcement lists 10 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 300.

South Asian institutions featuring on this list include 17 from India, 10 from Pakistan and 1 each from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The list is topped by Singapore with its National University at #1 and includes Singapore's Nanyang Technical University at #7. It is dominated by 58 universities from China (including 7 in Hong Kong and 1 in Macao), 50 from Japan, 47 from South Korea and 28 from Taiwan. Other nations represented with universities among top 300 in Asia are: Malaysia (17), Thailand (10), Indonesia (9), Philippines (5), Vietnam (3) and Brunei (1).

Pakistani Universities Among Top 300 Asian Universities (Source: QS World Rankings)

Pakistani universities on the list are: Pakistan Inst of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS) at 106, Aga Khan University (AKU) at 116, Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU)at 123 National University of Sciences and Trechnology (NUST) at 129, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) at 180-190, COMSATS Institute of Technology at 201-250, Karachi University (KU) at 201-250, Punjab University (PU) at 201-250, University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF) at 251-300 and University of Engineering Technology (UET) Lahore at 251-300.

Rise in international rankings of Pakistani universities began during Musharraf years when the annual budget for higher education increased from only Rs 500 million in 2000 to Rs 28 billion in 2008, to lay the foundations of the development of a strong knowledge economy, according to former education minister Dr. Ata ur Rehman. Student enrollment in universities increased from 270,000 to 900,000 and the number of universities and degree awarding institutions increased from 57 in 2000 to 137 by 2008. Government R&D spending jumped seven-fold from 0.1% of GDP in 1999 to 0.7% of GDP in 2007.

At first I wondered it was world's top 300...Except from Singaporian, Hong Kong's and one or two Indian ones none are there in the world 100...a ranking which counts everywhere.

I am not saying QS is biased. I am just saying seeing PIEAS ahead of universities like NUST, UET Lahore and NED is weird.
PIEAS is a centre of excellence, it has higher percentage of PhD faculty. Punjab and public sector universities only produce mass graduates. NUST and QAU benifit a lot of their research oriented disciplines (Medical in NUST and Natural Sciences in QAU)

QS World University Rankings 2014 announcement lists 10 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 300.

South Asian institutions featuring on this list include 17 from India, 10 from Pakistan and 1 each from Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. The list is topped by Singapore with its National University at #1 and includes Singapore's Nanyang Technical University at #7. It is dominated by 58 universities from China (including 7 in Hong Kong and 1 in Macao), 50 from Japan, 47 from South Korea and 28 from Taiwan. Other nations represented with universities among top 300 in Asia are: Malaysia (17), Thailand (10), Indonesia (9), Philippines (5), Vietnam (3) and Brunei (1).

Pakistani Universities Among Top 300 Asian Universities (Source: QS World Rankings)

Pakistani universities on the list are: Pakistan Inst of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS) at 106, Aga Khan University (AKU) at 116, Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU)at 123 National University of Sciences and Trechnology (NUST) at 129, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) at 180-190, COMSATS Institute of Technology at 201-250, Karachi University (KU) at 201-250, Punjab University (PU) at 201-250, University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF) at 251-300 and University of Engineering Technology (UET) Lahore at 251-300.

Rise in international rankings of Pakistani universities began during Musharraf years when the annual budget for higher education increased from only Rs 500 million in 2000 to Rs 28 billion in 2008, to lay the foundations of the development of a strong knowledge economy, according to former education minister Dr. Ata ur Rehman. Student enrollment in universities increased from 270,000 to 900,000 and the number of universities and degree awarding institutions increased from 57 in 2000 to 137 by 2008. Government R&D spending jumped seven-fold from 0.1% of GDP in 1999 to 0.7% of GDP in 2007.

wonder why FAST was not included.

At first I wondered it was world's top 300...Except from Singaporian, Hong Kong's and one or two Indian ones none are there in the world 100...a ranking which counts everywhere.

PIEAS is a centre of excellence, it has higher percentage of PhD faculty. Punjab and public sector universities only produce mass graduates. NUST and QAU benifit a lot of their research oriented disciplines (Medical in NUST and Natural Sciences in QAU)

As a not so recent graduate of NUST, I can confirm that NUST is better known for its engineering disciplines, rather than medical.
After Musharaf, NUST is crawling with PhDs from all over the world. There are many high quality centers of excellence. And I remember that in just my batch of UG EE, more than half of us published our research in reputed journals and conferences. And based on my interaction from people of different other countries, I think its the same image problem that plagues Pakistan in every other field; if researchers and funds flow to a university like NUST (and many others) like they do in other countries I am sure NUST will be counted in top 50 world rankings.

And some comment here mentioned that LUMS is not good in engineering. Their new engineering school is awesome! I met some people from LUMS SSE in different competitions, and those guys knew their stuff.

And where is GIKI btw?

P.S. It'd be interesting to see some anonymous stats from people of this forum about their universities, their education level (higer secondary, UG, MS, PhD etc), fields (management, engineering, arts etc).

As a not so recent graduate of NUST, I can confirm that NUST is better known for its engineering disciplines, rather than medical.
After Musharaf, NUST is crawling with PhDs from all over the world. There are many high quality centers of excellence. And I remember that in just my batch of UG EE, more than half of us published our research in reputed journals and conferences. And based on my interaction from people of different other countries, I think its the same image problem that plagues Pakistan in every other field; if researchers and funds flow to a university like NUST (and many others) like they do in other countries I am sure NUST will be counted in top 50 world rankings.
Being famous from something has little impact on QS's ranking...Its more concerned with the research output and quality of faculty. I have seen Universities stuffed with PhDs from middle and lower tier universities of France, China, UK, Turkey, Austria, Australia and State Universities of US (Which I still rank far better than the junk around)......Plus the natural tendency and potential of research in a specific discipline is also an important consideration. You would see little research output in Business schools than Engineering and School of Medicine. This is where the universities like LUMS/IBA lag behind than general universities like QAU/NUST.
And some comment here mentioned that LUMS is not good in engineering. Their new engineering school is awesome! I met some people from LUMS SSE in different competitions, and those guys knew their stuff.
LUMS SSE was actually caught in no-man's land. The purpose of school was to produce people who could move to PhD rather than go straight to the industry but they couldn't target the right lot.

And where is GIKI btw?
Same thing, being famous doesn't mean being ranked top

P.S. It'd be interesting to see some anonymous stats from people of this forum about their universities, their education level (higer secondary, UG, MS, PhD etc), fields (management, engineering, arts etc).
I am now preparing for my PhD....But there are 100000+ universities where I won't even file my application because that would be a waste of my 3-5 years. However, universities in Pakistan don't recognize that....A PhD from Ivy league is paid similar or only slightly higher than a PhD from an annonymous university in central Asia or East Europe. All people thus care is to have a PhD....

You mean Lahoris? I would agree in that case.
Lahoris praise everything about Lahore not just LUMS.

Best in what? management sciences-- Yes

when it comes to technology and science -- there is PIEAS on top and then there is NUST
LUMS is good for Business Education but not the best overall.The pakistanis I was talking about claim it is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom