What's new

Tell Asians apart quiz

Also, I personally find that Mandarin sounds much better than Cantonese does. More "civil" I guess.

I'm sure you know, Cantonese has quite a "rough" sound to it. And Cantonese is LOUD lol, especially Hong Kongers.

Listen to my family talking while having dinner at a restaurant, it's so noisy. :D

All Chinese have the habit of talking loud, and we have to admit this is our bad habit, so we have to improve over this.

Hollywood needs to get over this stereo-type of Chinese people as flying kicking kung fu people. In today's modern world, a chinese can play the same role with a white can, without being stereotyped into racial based roles.

Hollywood makes movies primarily for the US demographics. That is why non-whites are represented according to their perceived relevance in American culture. With the growing Hispanic population, you now see more central roles for Hispanic actors. A couple of Indians and Chinese slip in now and then. Also blacks are portrayed in positive roles (judge, President, upper middle class) because of a desire to undo past negative stereotypes.

Also, I personally find that Mandarin sounds much better than Cantonese does. More "civilized" I guess.

I'm sure you know, Cantonese has quite a "rough" sound to it. And Cantonese is LOUD lol, especially Hong Kongers.

Listen to my family talking while having dinner at a restaurant, it's so noisy. :D

Don't even mention it, I've been to countless Chinese New Year dinners at my friend's house and Chap Goh Meh events, I know exactly what you're talking about.

If you think talking is bad, wait till you hear them sing! :lol:

Oh, by the way, do you guys celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival? It's going on here now, whenever I look out of the window at night, I see my Chinese neighbour burning big cars and fake money!

All Chinese have the habit of talking loud, and we have to admit this is our bad habit, so we have to improve over this.

I read somewhere that Chinese is relatively loud because we have so many different "tones".

I'm not sure if that's right, but it does make some sense.

Hollywood makes movies primarily for the US demographics. That is why non-whites are represented according to their perceived relevance in American culture. With the growing Hispanic population, you now see more central roles for Hispanic actors. A couple of Indians and Chinese slip in now and then. Also blacks are portrayed in positive roles (judge, President, upper middle class) because of a desire to undo past negative stereotypes.

Am I the only one who thinks that the American tendency to glorify anything Black is getting a bit over done now? Like hip hop culture is cool, black guys are cool and strong, and all the positive stuff associated with them.

I understand the Whites are feeling bad for their past deeds, but this sucking up is kinda going over-board.

Also, I personally find that Mandarin sounds much better than Cantonese does. More "civil" I guess.

In New York city, I always go to the Chinatown bus station to take buses to Boston or Washington DC. The bus services there (I take Fung Wah), as well as most of the inhabitants of Chinatown are Cantonese speaking people. Although I don't know even a word of Cantonese, when they speak regularly, it's almost as if they are fighting (no offense), & I haven't really seen that in Mandarin, although it can sound a bit loud sometimes, at least for me, but it is still very calm & peaceful.

The black folks are culturally more integrated than both Hispanics and Asians.

That's why blacks playing politicians/soldiers/middle class are rather more common. :coffee:

Am I the only one who thinks that the American tendency to glorify anything Black is getting a bit over done now? Like hip hop culture is cool, black guys are cool and strong, and all the positive stuff associated with them.

I understand the Whites are feeling bad for their past deeds, but this sucking up is kinda going over-board.

In Hollywood & in general in America, these are the common stereotypes; blacks are crack smokin' drug dealers, latinos (especially mexicans) are illegal immigrants, russians are mafia leaders, Middle Easterners (Arabs are thought synonymously as Muslims, which is wrong) are terrorists, Chinese are communists or Kung Fu masters, Indians (they don't think of them as Asians, just Indians) work at call centers. Only white Americans are considered 'normal' in Hollywood. It is quite pathetic in my opinion.

In New York city, I always go to the Chinatown bus station to take buses to Boston or Washington DC. The bus services there, as well as most of the inhabitants of Chinatown are Cantonese speaking people. Although I don't know even a word of Cantonese, when they speak regularly, it's almost as if they are fighting (no offense), & I haven't really seen that in Mandarin, although it can sound a bit loud sometimes, at least for me, but it is still very calm & peaceful.

No offense taken buddy, and you're absolutely right. :azn: For outsiders, Cantonese is quite rough so it sounds like people are fighting with each other, when they are actually just talking about the weather. :lol:

Recent visitors to Hong Kong are often shocked by it.

Mandarin has a really nice sound though. That's one reason why I love watching Mandarin movies.

No offense taken buddy, and you're absolutely right. :azn: For outsiders, Cantonese is quite rough so it sounds like people are fighting with each other, when they are actually just talking about the weather. :lol:

Recent visitors to Hong Kong are often shocked by it.

Mandarin has a really nice sound though. That's one reason why I love watching Mandarin movies.

I have watched some undubbed TVB dramas before, and i don't find the way of their conversation is rude.

I have watched some undubbed TVB dramas before, and i don't find the way of their conversation is rude.

In movies and television it's not too bad, but when people are talking on the streets of Wanchai for instance, it can get pretty loud.

Also, Hong Kong Cantonese is full of very "coloquial/slang" expressions that are often either very informal or even rude. Check out ham gaa caan, diu lei lo mo, etc. :P

In mainland cities like Guangzhou though, their Cantonese is much closer to the written form. Which is another reason I like Mandarin so much, because it corresponds much better with the written Chinese.

I won't comment on the other stuff, but giving credit to blacks for music is justified.

From gospel to rock 'n roll to jazz to rap to hip hop, almost all American musical traditions were heavily influenced, if not invented, by blacks.

Back
Top Bottom