What's new

Tejas to replace all MIG aircraft, says Odisha born chief designer

IF there are funds available for Typhoon/Rafale PAF will ditch this F-16 love before you even blink.
Respectfully, I dont accept your view point on this. Funds are no problem. Problem may be visible to you if you see thing in very very broad perspective. I dont think you will hear anything significant from our side till more than three years, may be more than that.

What will replace the oldest F-16s? Any idea?

As per ACM interviews PAF has initiated a plan for phasing out F-16s with a 5th gen aircraft and research studies and human resource development initiated. Could be a joint venture for which Pakistan will be a late partner but no other details released yet, speculations are hinted towards J-31, so this is post 2025. So F-16s will not be replaced by newer F-16s, they will only get rebuilt and upgraded in Turkey as they get old to keep them flying longer. TAI is working on a locally developed F-16V type upgrade for its own fleet so that is a likely future candidate.

In the immediate future PAF will only get used F-16s and JF-17s. PAF will restart negotiating for new F-16s as well but with a lower more competitive price. FMF subsidized hardware is always overpriced for rewarding US manufacturers and since US will no longer provide financial assistance, new prices will have to be competitive. Hence the reason why PAF opted out of current deal.

Regarding Tejas and JF-17 difference. JF-17 got some upgrades when it entered Block-2 stage along with composites. Comparisons made everywhere are for Tejas Mark-1 Vs JF-17 Block-1 but the current production versions are Tejas Mark-1 and JF-17 Block-2. So the advantages in composites, avionics and radar are gone now. Tejas has newer Mark-1A and Mark-2 planned but has some catching up to do in terms of matching timeline. There is a very real possibility that JF-17 Block-3 will be operational before Tejas Mark 1A & 2.

From Wiki
ELM 2032
Radar Range 100km (5m2 size plane)

KLJ-7 V2
110 km (for RCS of 3 m2) (V2), or
140-150 km for RCS of 5 m2 (V2)

The ELM 2052 is intended for the Tejas but China already has access to it and its one of the two AESA contenders for JF-17 Block-3.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...-strongly-resembles-israeli-product/32108793/

Regardless of all other issues, my advise for HAL would be concentrate on production rate. It needs to set up additional factories for making at least 25 aircraft per year if it hopes to keep Tejas a relevant aircraft to replace obsolete jets in time.

Last edited:
Did anyone expect him to say he designed an aircraft inferior to JF-17?

at 1:35,,,says its far superior to f16 n all a/c in paf ,,,its "bhaari advanced" aircraft.
n this guy was the chief designer:rolleyes:,,,its in odia,,,,someone frm Odisha kindly translate
he says TEJAS is far superior to what Pak have in its inventory including F-16's. :rolleyes::tup:

Which decade is this guy living in? So according to him we have only got mirage :lol:. Tejas and JF17 belong to the same class of fighter and are purely defensive aircrafts with no offensive roles. JFThunder might be used for anti shipping roles but it limited range is not suitable for limited range attacks. Pakistan will eventually replace Mirage V with a new aircraft but for now JF Thunder needs to replace old Mirage 3 and F-7.
the numbers dictate that the jf-17 will replace the j-7 only leaving 70ish mirage lll's and 80ish mirage v's which is about 150 and add the lost number in f16's pakistan wanted to have which is 111 and add about 40 more so thats about 190 that needs to be purchased.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I dont accept your view point on this. Funds are no problem. Problem may be visible to you if you see thing in very very broad perspective. I dont think you will hear anything significant from our side till more than three years, may be more than that.
I agree as well as disagree at your statement.. Funds and embargoes are definitely a problem for Pakistan, otherwise Gripen E was a perfect choice for PAF and your planners would've gone after it long back..
But on the other hand, PAF had built its strategy over F16s for many decades, which is a very capable A2A, A2G platform.. PAF doesn't need fighters for dedicated purposes, like Air superiority or Ground Attack.. They want something that can perform any of the given role on a given day, without much fuss.. And they got the same in their F16s.. And when getting more F16s was getting difficult day by day, they wanted a fighter which can perform the role of F16 without the embargoes.. Hence the advent of JF17.. It may not be as capapble as F16, but in time it will mature and PAF took a calculated risk which is paying off.. So I don't think PAF can buy anything available in the world, nor they have funds for it.. But they made their choice carefully, which is wise choice I think. Now they have a platform, which cannot be hampered by restrictions and embargoes..

I agree as well as disagree at your statement.. Funds and embargoes are definitely a problem for Pakistan, otherwise Gripen E was a perfect choice for PAF and your planners would've gone after it long back..
But on the other hand, PAF had built its strategy over F16s for many decades, which is a very capable A2A, A2G platform.. PAF doesn't need fighters for dedicated purposes, like Air superiority or Ground Attack.. They want something that can perform any of the given role on a given day, without much fuss.. And they got the same in their F16s.. And when getting more F16s was getting difficult day by day, they wanted a fighter which can perform the role of F16 without the embargoes.. Hence the advent of JF17.. It may not be as capapble as F16, but in time it will mature and PAF took a calculated risk which is paying off.. So I don't think PAF can buy anything available in the world, nor they have funds for it.. But they made their choice carefully, which is wise choice I think. Now they have a platform, which cannot be hampered by restrictions and embargoes..
I dont have any thing solid to refuse your argument, rather than mere words juggling. But you will agree with one fact: "you may not be knowing everything" . :)

As per ACM interviews PAF has initiated a plan for phasing out F-16s with a 5th gen aircraft and research studies and human resource development initiated. Could be a joint venture for which Pakistan will be a late partner but no other details released yet, speculations are hinted towards J-31, so this is post 2025. So F-16s will not be replaced by newer F-16s, they will only get rebuilt and upgraded in Turkey as they get old to keep them flying longer. TAI is working on a locally developed F-16V type upgrade for its own fleet so that is a likely future candidate.

In the immediate future PAF will only get used F-16s and JF-17s. PAF will restart negotiating for new F-16s as well but with a lower more competitive price. FMF subsidized hardware is always overpriced for rewarding US manufacturers and since US will no longer provide financial assistance, new prices will have to be competitive. Hence the reason why PAF opted out of current deal.

Regarding Tejas and JF-17 difference. JF-17 got some upgrades when it entered Block-2 stage along with composites. Comparisons made everywhere are for Tejas Mark-1 Vs JF-17 Block-1 but the current production versions are Tejas Mark-1 and JF-17 Block-2. So the advantages in composites, avionics and radar are gone now. Tejas has newer Mark-1A and Mark-2 planned but has some catching up to do in terms of matching timeline. There is a very real possibility that JF-17 Block-3 will be operational before Tejas Mark 1A & 2.

From Wiki
ELM 2032

KLJ-7 V2

The ELM 2052 is intended for the Tejas but China already has access to it and its one of the two AESA contenders for JF-17 Block-3.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...-strongly-resembles-israeli-product/32108793/

Regardless of all other issues, my advise for HAL would be concentrate on production rate. It needs to set up additional factories for making at least 25 aircraft per year if it hopes to keep Tejas a relevant aircraft to replace obsolete jets in time.
Guys lets not compare the specs..
I dont have any thing solid to refuse your argument, rather than mere words juggling. But you will agree with one fact: "you may not be knowing everything" . :)
May be, that's a possibility..:pdf:

From Wiki
ELM 2032

KLJ-7 V2

Guys lets not compare the specs..

What will replace the oldest F-16s? Any idea?

Right now we are focusing on how to cater for 190 aircraft that we have to retire in coming 5 years so as stop gap we are buying old airframes but getting them thru MLUs to bring them at par with mission requirements we have at present. It seems that PAF is waiting for any 5th Gen aircraft that becomes available to us and we can directly go for it. Till then we might see only SU-35s around but in limited numbers and new and advanced batches of JF-17s till their tally reaches around 250. As to augment for old Mirages the approach of M2Ks sounds logical as rather spending hefty amount on maintaining these old airframe, its better to spend on relatively newer but still old airframes. And as we have recently upgraded our F-16s so they are not going anywhere till next say 15-20 years minimum.

Most probably with new F-16s. Ishq hogaya hai hamain F-16 se yaar.

F-16 production lines are closing in USA so most probably we wont go for any new F-16s in big numbers. On the contrary there is ample spare support available all over the world for current versions of F-16s in our inventory and hence it does make sense that we go for used F-16s and later on upgrade them at par with MLUs ones in Turkey. I dont expect any new F-16s whose tally is going beyond number 30 (I still have placed a quite a big margin here though).

I thought Pakistan is hedging J-10 with F-16. I mean If F-16 are not coming then J-10 would take that role. Let me know if this is a feasibility till 31 is in the horizon. How does Pakistan compare J-10 with F-16. And from when Pakistan is taking deliveries of J-10Bs

Which decade is this guy living in? So according to him we have only got mirage :lol:. Tejas and JF17 belong to the same class of fighter and are purely defensive aircrafts with no offensive roles. JFThunder might be used for anti shipping roles but it limited range is not suitable for limited range attacks. Pakistan will eventually replace Mirage V with a new aircraft but for now JF Thunder needs to replace old Mirage 3 and F-7.

He was speaking in odia language , he was also saying " Tejas is better than f-16s neighboring coutry has " . The f-16 part is missing in the written article . Don't gloat over yet . ;)

lol.... this one is mine from now on... noobs like me cant counter experts :)

Back
Top Bottom