What's new

Tejas FOC : Miles to go

As per the latest report there are dead weights added.. and more layers of secured structure too (though too late, they have realized at the end because they are not sure about the Carbon composite performance on long term and it turned out to be tooooooo good than they have originally anticipated it).. In this case the MK-2 will be a blessing in disguise and i am expecting the empty weight to go down further which as mentioned in new ADA specs ... as of 414 it was because of Navy i am pretty sure about it as they need more oil and power to push it, but yes it has turned out to be IAF's pet too and they have shelved some of there own funds for the same ... which is a pretty good step..

Empty weight will go down by 400 to 500 KG as a result of structural optimization. Wave drag will reduced in MK2 design substantially. Mk2 will be a 5.7 to 6.0 ton aircraft and will carry almost same weight of empty aircraft. MK2 will be a 9G and (11g Emergency) aircraft. It remains to be seen whether they uses lavcon design or aero delta wing. In my opinion Mk2 Navy should be build first so that we may incorporate good thing of NAVAL LCA design in Mk2. Over all Mk2 is going to be an awesome 4.5 gen aircraft with very high T/W ratio in Excess of 1.30. We may expect Eurofighter like performance. It will save a huge amount of money as india should be able to use it in 80% of the missions for which MKIs are required today. We shall be able to incorporate many features of FAGFA in Mk2.

Yet Mk2 will not be an optimum design since it is derived from MK1 and we need Mk2 immideately. This impose a constrain on our R & D. We should immediately start working on MK3 or stealth LCA. It will have an excellent design and shall be a replecement of MKIs except in very long range strike role. We must invest more in R & D. We shall get many-fold return for that. What we need is a vision in political leadership.

How old are you, Uncle?
Older than you think, my little nephew!!
old-025.gif

@sancho @Dillinger @OrionHunter @SpArK @IND151

Why does Tejas has such low range n combat radius in comparison to Gripen, Jf17 n FA50(Korean)?
Though they all carry similar fuel n payload with similar engine.o_O

Because the figures you read about are rarely ever qualified with the pertinent details. The Tejas had an adequate combat radius for its role.

Probably the combat radius stated for Tejas is when it operates at medium altitude with no external fuel tank.

Combat radius is calculated with internal fuel capacity only but thats the same for all others to but my question is why so low though tejas carry similar fuel n payload?

Why does Tejas has such low range n combat radius in comparison to Gripen, Jf17 n FA50(Korean)?
It's all about the role. Tejas is basically an interceptor, defending the skies from intruders. It doesn't have to travel long distances into enemy territory for which we have the Jaguars, SU-30s and Rafales.

However, the LCA could also be used as a SEAD platform in the Indo Pak context because of the fact that majority of Pak SAM and radar systems are very close to the border and are at best medium range/medium altitude systems. The LCA can in fact fly over the SAM protective envelope and conduct SEAD missions, but would need to be guided by SUs or AWACS platforms identifying and locating enemy AD systems.

Well combat radius is still obscure in sense of what kind of mission it was? My personal guess is that (and most probably true) its combat radius of 350-400 km or so is with full fuel+full load and lo-lo-lo mission else I dont see why It shouldn't be more than 900 km radius with full internal fuel+ 4 aams+ 3* external tanks(2*1200+1*750 KG almost) on hi-hi-hi mission.
PS: Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Well combat radius is still obscure in sense of what kind of mission it was? My personal guess is that (and most probably true) its combat radius of 350-400 km or so is with full fuel+full load and lo-lo-lo mission else I dont see why It shouldn't be more than 900 km radius with full internal fuel+ 4 aams+ 3* external tanks(2*1200+1*750 KG almost) on hi-hi-hi mission.
PS: Just my opinion.

Hmm...i too think so besides these specs seems to be pretty old n there is no details available in this respect on official website as well.

Bt hopefully Mk2 will be much better with bigger internal fuel capacity n better engine...:)

Arrow delta wing is not visible in first picture of tejas. Let the design freeze next month. We shall have some batter idea.

Any idea why the MK2 is delayed further by 2 years and will it make sense to Airforce beyond 2025 ( As per Prasun's dates). I posted the same question in Sticky as well...

Seniors any thoughts please?

Any idea why the MK2 is delayed further by 2 years and will it make sense to Airforce beyond 2025 ( As per Prasun's dates). I posted the same question in Sticky as well...

Seniors any thoughts please?

There is no official news of delay but still it will delay as the the thumb rule of DRDO. These guys are very week in project Management and perhaps ill funded for such complex project.

Wing design will be the same. Design changes will be kept minimal.

No wing design will not be same. It will be arrow delta.

images

Look at arrow delta wing.

Also see landing gears shifted to wing root like Grippen. Half a meter increase in length will give plane a batter fitness ratio and refined aerodynamics. With Refined aerodynamic, 40% additional fuel and landing gear shifted to wing root, 500 KG less weight and new age Avionics and AESA, this plane is going to be an *** kicker and shall be more than a match for anything in Asia except SU 30. Its performance is going to be comparable to EUROFIGHTER and Grippen NG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom