What's new

Teenager beats tech giants to launch world's first smart WATCH

curioususer

Reaction score
Teenager beats tech giants to launch world's first smart WATCH that makes calls and comes with a built-in camera

A group of college students from India - including a designer who is just 17 years old - has beaten the likes of Apple, Google and Sony to launch the world's first fully-featured smartwatch.

Called Androidly, the device comes with Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi and a camera built-in.

The £150 watch can also be used as a phone to make calls and send texts using a phone SIM card and packs up to 16GB of storage.

article-2352647-1A9AE990000005DC-349_634x632.jpg

Although other smart watches, including the Pebble and Sony's Live Watch, can wirelessly connect with mobile phones, Androidly is the first to come with the operating system fully integrated.

Androidly has a 2inch screen and comes with a 2MP camera.

It runs on an older version of the Android operating system called Android 2.2 Froyo.

A speaker, camera and microphone are built into the device and it can be plugged into a USB socket to be used as a storage device.

It can also be used to charge the phone.

Androidly is the brainchild of four students from India - software developer Ankit Pradhan, communications professional Pavneet Singh Puri and lawyer Apurva Sukant plus teenager Siddhant Vats.

Sukant said: 'There are other such products in the market, but they mostly sync with a smartphone and are not phones in themselves.

'We have ported Android on to a much smaller board and built a wearable phone.'

Puri added: 'We have all been friends for years now.

'I was a member of my college student council then and was getting a lot of calls regarding the college festival.

'That day, my phone rang at a time when my hands were dripping with chicken curry and I just couldn't retrieve it from my pocket.'

'Later, over dessert, we discussed the episode and figured that things can be made much easier if the device is always within reach, accessible and visible.

'Making it a wristwatch seemed to be the most practical solution', continued Vats.

The Androidly watch was originally a Kickstarter campaign - a fundraising and investment site.

The devices can now be ordered, in black or white, from the Android.ly site for £150 each.

The £90 Pebble watch was the first device to be classed as a 'smartwatch' and similarly launched following a successful Kickstarter campaign earlier this year.

The Pebble smartwatch syncs wirelessly with a smartphone allowing users to receive emails and Facebook messages, control their music and even see who is calling them.

Users can also downloads apps to their watch to upgrade its capabilities.

It works by connecting to an iPhone or Android device via Bluetooth, then downloading the Pebble app to transmit software updates.

Apple is also rumoured to be developing a smartwatch, although the firm has refused to comment on the plans.

Google is also known to be investigating the area.

Explaining the potential of Androidly, the site explains: 'Multi-task like a super hero. Reach out for that refreshing drink in middle of an email, with full confidence.

'Read through your documents, with references on your wrist and a coffee in your hand!

'Cook with the recipe handy, or manage your stocks with a live ticker always at hand.

'Switch between the digital and the real world effortlessly, without putting anything up or down!'

article-2352647-1A9AE99C000005DC-24_306x336.jpg

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...art-WATCH-makes-calls-comes-built-camera.html

This is an excellent initiative by the young inventor. Congrats,

Okay what i may say next is biased because i have already saved up to buy a pebble but a few questions which have to be asked here (since their direct competitor is Pebble) are:

1. Okay the first thing that got me is that the Watch is a whole $69 dollars more expensive than the pebble.
2. Inaccurate information on their website, they claim pebble only has 10 apps however you will find this completely wrong and baseless if you visit: Pebble Watchapp Directory - Pebble Forums
3. The size of the watch is a major off putting factor, if i wanted to wear an iPhone on my wrist there are bracelets for that, it looks more like a Pip Boy 3000, than a smart watch.
4. The Battery Time: ? No mention of this on the official website, for example the Pebbles battery lasts 7 days
5. It cannot be paired with an Iphone :(
6. The screen fascia looks really delicate like the Iphone 3GS, is it shatter resistant like the Pebble?
7. Is it water proof? What is the water proof rating?
8. Can you replace the horrible plastic bands on the watch? Because you can on the Pebble.

But despite all this, this gets a thumbs up from me :)

That thing looks like a rebranded OEM made from a low tier chinese manufacturer. You can see the shoddy design in the first picture as if they made a loose plastic case and just forced a small tablet into it.

My rule is if you cant do it yourself then dont bring down others who take the initiative to do something cool like that.
Good for these guys!

Easy now. No, one is bringing anyone down. We are potential consumers, if they are demanding that amount of cash and making tall claims against a finished product vs a clearly rushed product than asking questions is only fair no?

Would you make a soap box racer and compare it to a Japanese manufactured speedster?

Like i said, it is a great effort but the site lacks the critical information with regards to things like battery time, iOS compatibility, ruggedness, water resistance, pairing abilities, SIZE? and not forgetting it is $69 dollars more expensive than it's competitor.

That thing looks like a rebranded OEM made from a low tier chinese manufacturer. You can see the shoddy design in the first picture as if they made a loose plastic case and just forced a small tablet into it.

I think the first image is just a concept picture, that is why it looks that way. The watch is not bad, but too bulky and like i said, if your going to make a smart watch, make sure its water proof and can take a few knocks.

Both Pakistani and Indian Media is full of sh!t when it comes to IT and other tech related news - These guys didn't do shi!t.The hardware is fabricated in China (with licensing from ARM or whichever processor/architecture they are using ) and they slapped Android on top of it(even that i suspect was probably done by the fabrication firm..). This reminds of the so called Indian Tablet where they bought the hardware from China and a Canadian ccompany installed android on top of it and it's now indigenous Indian technology wonder..:yahoo::yahoo:

Why doesn't this surprise me... claiming 2nd tier chinese manufacturing as Indian innovation?

Interestingly the watch (on eBay) doesn't support indian language, does this "indian tech" do?

Indians boast about their IT but reality shows them just a bunch of liars and cheaters.

Is this a Chinese watch... ohh then it's value is 7 days.... after that it's home will be dustbin. It's very risky to buy China made things....

Sorry but this watch looks like something that would come with 5 batteries :lol: and it looks like a 3 inch phone with a slapped on wristband :rofl:
Not really innovativedin my opinion

Sorry but this watch looks like something that would come with 5 batteries :lol: and it looks like a 3 inch phone with a slapped on wristband :rofl:
Not really innovativedin my opinion

Sir it's been proven the inventor is lying, they have purchased a white label cellphone watch from China and labelled it an Indian SmartWatch, what's worse is they have the audacity to market it as a pebble contender and even sell it a whole $69 dearer than the pebble.

What a bunch o frauds, the manufacturers of this watch should file an IPO claim.

Is this a Chinese watch... ohh then it's value is 7 days.... after that it's home will be dustbin. It's very risky to buy China made things....

That is a very narrow minded thing to say. Even iPhones are assembled in China.

Teenager beats tech giants to launch world's first smart WATCH that makes calls and comes with a built-in camera

A group of college students from India - including a designer who is just 17 years old - has beaten the likes of Apple, Google and Sony to launch the world's first fully-featured smartwatch.

Called Androidly, the device comes with Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi and a camera built-in.

The £150 watch can also be used as a phone to make calls and send texts using a phone SIM card and packs up to 16GB of storage.

article-2352647-1A9AE990000005DC-349_634x632.jpg

Although other smart watches, including the Pebble and Sony's Live Watch, can wirelessly connect with mobile phones, Androidly is the first to come with the operating system fully integrated.

Androidly has a 2inch screen and comes with a 2MP camera.

It runs on an older version of the Android operating system called Android 2.2 Froyo.

A speaker, camera and microphone are built into the device and it can be plugged into a USB socket to be used as a storage device.

It can also be used to charge the phone.

Androidly is the brainchild of four students from India - software developer Ankit Pradhan, communications professional Pavneet Singh Puri and lawyer Apurva Sukant plus teenager Siddhant Vats.

Sukant said: 'There are other such products in the market, but they mostly sync with a smartphone and are not phones in themselves.

'We have ported Android on to a much smaller board and built a wearable phone.'

Puri added: 'We have all been friends for years now.

'I was a member of my college student council then and was getting a lot of calls regarding the college festival.

'That day, my phone rang at a time when my hands were dripping with chicken curry and I just couldn't retrieve it from my pocket.'

'Later, over dessert, we discussed the episode and figured that things can be made much easier if the device is always within reach, accessible and visible.

'Making it a wristwatch seemed to be the most practical solution', continued Vats.

The Androidly watch was originally a Kickstarter campaign - a fundraising and investment site.

The devices can now be ordered, in black or white, from the Android.ly site for £150 each.

The £90 Pebble watch was the first device to be classed as a 'smartwatch' and similarly launched following a successful Kickstarter campaign earlier this year.

The Pebble smartwatch syncs wirelessly with a smartphone allowing users to receive emails and Facebook messages, control their music and even see who is calling them.

Users can also downloads apps to their watch to upgrade its capabilities.

It works by connecting to an iPhone or Android device via Bluetooth, then downloading the Pebble app to transmit software updates.

Apple is also rumoured to be developing a smartwatch, although the firm has refused to comment on the plans.

Google is also known to be investigating the area.

Explaining the potential of Androidly, the site explains: 'Multi-task like a super hero. Reach out for that refreshing drink in middle of an email, with full confidence.

'Read through your documents, with references on your wrist and a coffee in your hand!

'Cook with the recipe handy, or manage your stocks with a live ticker always at hand.

'Switch between the digital and the real world effortlessly, without putting anything up or down!'

article-2352647-1A9AE99C000005DC-24_306x336.jpg

Source:Teenager beats tech giants to launch world's first smart WATCH that makes calls and comes with a built-in camera | Mail Online

do you know that He is my friend... he was in my section till 7th.. then moved to California. and met him few months back when he was back in town. Well we naturally couldn't believe that he something like that :)

Back
Top Bottom