What's new

Teen slain after performing at inaugural: 'Happiest day of her life and the

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Tracy Connor, Staff Writer, NBC News
A 15-year-old Chicago girl gunned down a week after she performed during President Obama’s inaugural festivities was remembered Wednesday as a “walking angel” – the last person her family could imagine dying by a bullet.
Hadiya Pendleton was an honor student, a marching-band majorette, and a doting big sister who thought about becoming a journalist or a pharmacist or even getting into politics after she witnessed history in Washington last week.
The biggest trouble the insatiable reader ever gave her parents: running up their credit card buying books on Amazon.
“I couldn’t ask for a better child,” her mother, Cleo Cowley, said through tears at her Chicago home. “She didn’t give me any hard time at all. She had a heart of gold.”
Advertise | AdChoices
A sophomore at Chicago’s selective King College Prep High School, Pendleton was walking with fellow members of the volleyball team in a park Tuesday afternoon when the skies opened. They ducked under a canopy to get out of the rain, joining other teenagers.
At that moment, Chicago police say, a gunman came running down an alley behind the park, opened fire and then darted into a waiting vehicle and took off. No arrests have been made.

Courtesy the Pendleton family
Hadiya Pendleton during her trip to Washington.

Pendleton was struck in the upper back, and a 16-year-old schoolmate was hit in the leg. They ran about a block before she collapsed on the street, police said. She died at the hospital.
When it happened, her mother was at work at the TransUnion credit company, in a meeting. Her cellphone rang and she saw it was one of her daughter’s friends and quickly answered.
“She was screaming on the phone that Hadiya’s been shot, she’s been shot, and I just didn’t understand,” said Cowley. “I had to get someone to help me understand that my baby has been shot.”
The murder – about a mile from Obama’s Chicago home – quickly caught the attention of Washington during a day of debate over gun violence.
The White House called it a “terrible tragedy,” and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel called the shooter a “gangbanger” and a “punk” who had stolen the dreams of a girl with a bright future.
Teen slain after performing at inaugural: 'Happiest day of her life and then she's gone' - U.S. News

sad news.
imprison the punk for life.:hitwall:

Support for tighter Gun Control in the US

She was killed in Chicago. The gun control laws there are very strict, among the strictest in the country in fact, and its generally a crime ridden city.

Back
Top Bottom