What's new

Tea industry striving for surplus to export

Maybe we could set up a barter with Bangladesh, tea for cotton?

Although it's ridiculous that we don't grow our own. Even junkies in the UK have started to grow their own weed indoors using artificial light and heaters.
Pre-1970 west Pakistan was importing all its tea needs from the east. However, in those days, our people were not that accustomed to tea drinking. Now, here the population has become large and has learned to drink tea. But the production has not risen that much.

However, I believe our vast hilly lands in the Chittagong Hill Tracts districts can produce Assam/ Sylhet grades of teas. In that case, we can again become a tea exporting country.

By the way, someone was telling in another thread Pakistan itself is importing raw cotton. It really surprised me.

Pre-1970 west Pakistan was importing all its tea needs from the east. However, in those days, our people were not that accustomed to tea drinking. Now, here the population has become large and has learned to drink tea. But the production has not risen that much.

However, I believe our vast hilly lands in the Chittagong Hill Tracts districts can produce Assam/ Sylhet grades of teas. In that case, we can again become a tea exporting country.

By the way, someone was telling in another thread Pakistan itself is importing raw cotton. It really surprised me.

Yeah for years the textile industry dwindled due to the lack of power to run factories. Now it is booming and there isn't enough cotton growth currently to match demand. I believe that should be fixed within a year or two.

Maybe we could setup a barter with Bangladesh, tea for cotton?

Although it's ridiculous that we don't grow our own. Even junkies in the UK have started to grow their own weed indoors using artificial light and heaters.

Way too little amount for barter trade especially when we have shortage ourselves.

If I have understood correctly, Bangladesh production of tea is 96,000 tonnes while consumption is 95200 tonnes leaving very little surplus for export.

Pakistan on the hand, imported 152,362 tonnes in July-January 2020/21 period for 336 million dollars. :D

Even if we locally produce tea, we still will have to import tea.

Way too little amount for barter trade especially when we have shortage ourselves.

If I have understood correctly, Bangladesh production of tea is 96,000 tonnes while consumption is 95200 tonnes leaving very little surplus for export.

Pakistan on the hand, imported 152,362 tonnes in July-January 2020/21 period for 336 million dollars. :D

Even if we locally produce tea, we still will have to import tea.

I blame you. By the sounds of it, you must drink a ton of the stuff yourself every year... LOL

Maybe we could setup a barter with Bangladesh, tea for cotton?

Lol, i dont think the margin in tea can compete with weed. Hydroponic set up costs a lot....

According to Xinhua Net, Dhaka’s latest tourist attraction is Saiful Islam’s Rangdhonu (rainbow) seven-colour tea store. Although he had to acquire the technique from a tea vendor in Moulvibazar’s Srimangal area, he’s successfully imitating it now. He said,
tea-2-e1547297851296.jpg
Image source
“From there I have somehow acquired the secret technique of layering seven colored tea. Later I moved to Dhaka and opened a store to sell the seven-color tea.”
While the average tea costs around Rs. 8 (10 takas), the seven-layer tea costs around Rs. 70. And although the process of making it is a secret, he did reveal what kinds of tea are used for the drink.

“We mix different types of locally and China-grown tea — three black teas and one green tea — with milk and various spices. Each mixture has a distinct color and taste, and I pour one on top of another to create seven distinct bands of colors including orange, black, white, strawberry, milk and Green.”
However, here’s the catch. There’s no magic involved. Saiful said that,
tea-3-e1547297889173.jpg
Image source
“The taste of each layer is different. It is organic. No chemical is used.”
But who cares about the secret if it tastes so good, and healthy. Yes, a part of the seven-layer drink is created by Islam himself, which is a white layer blended with ginger. And it’s good for the customer’s health.

Joyita, a student of Dhaka Polytechnic Institute and a happy customer at Islam’s store, said that,

“We live beside this Taltola market. We often come here for a cup of seven-color tea and a good chat.”
Albeit successful, Islam is a copycat (and a brilliant one at it). So, who’s the inventor of this one-of-a-kind tea? Well, The Guardian says that it’s a Romesh Ram Gour from Srimangal.
tea-4-e1547297920112.jpg
Image source
Gour’s shop is a simple kiosk called the Nilkantha Tea Cabin. And it’s visited by people from far and wide just to have a sip of his tea. In addition to that, it’s rumoured that a major Bollywood star once offered to fly him to India and expand his business. However, Gour refused, saying that he’s happy with the life he has.

Check out a demo of the seven-layered tea here:

According to Xinhua Net, Dhaka’s latest tourist attraction is Saiful Islam’s Rangdhonu (rainbow) seven-colour tea store. Although he had to acquire the technique from a tea vendor in Moulvibazar’s Srimangal area, he’s successfully imitating it now. He said,
tea-2-e1547297851296.jpg
Image source

While the average tea costs around Rs. 8 (10 takas), the seven-layer tea costs around Rs. 70. And although the process of making it is a secret, he did reveal what kinds of tea are used for the drink.

“We mix different types of locally and China-grown tea — three black teas and one green tea — with milk and various spices. Each mixture has a distinct color and taste, and I pour one on top of another to create seven distinct bands of colors including orange, black, white, strawberry, milk and Green.”
However, here’s the catch. There’s no magic involved. Saiful said that,
tea-3-e1547297889173.jpg
Image source

But who cares about the secret if it tastes so good, and healthy. Yes, a part of the seven-layer drink is created by Islam himself, which is a white layer blended with ginger. And it’s good for the customer’s health.

Joyita, a student of Dhaka Polytechnic Institute and a happy customer at Islam’s store, said that,

Albeit successful, Islam is a copycat (and a brilliant one at it). So, who’s the inventor of this one-of-a-kind tea? Well, The Guardian says that it’s a Romesh Ram Gour from Srimangal.
tea-4-e1547297920112.jpg
Image source
Gour’s shop is a simple kiosk called the Nilkantha Tea Cabin. And it’s visited by people from far and wide just to have a sip of his tea. In addition to that, it’s rumoured that a major Bollywood star once offered to fly him to India and expand his business. However, Gour refused, saying that he’s happy with the life he has.

Check out a demo of the seven-layered tea here:

This layered tea is a strange phenomenon. How this can be made is beyond my understanding.

This layered tea is a strange phenomenon. How this can be made is beyond my understanding.

Each layer cannot mix with the layers above or below it. Depends on what the tea mixes are made of, like ginger tea, black tea, milk tea etc. which means they have to stay separate and not coalesce.

The secret is closely held, only two people in Bangladesh know how to do this so far.

Nestle managers went down to see that Hindu guy in Sylhet and tried to lure him with money to part with the secret, but he won't budge. Tough guy. :-)

Last edited:
Bro we have a suitable climate in the North for tea.
Not only climate but also soil characteristics are responsible for a successful tea cultivation. For example, Darjeeling or Assam tea gardens. I do not know about Pakistan north. I hope good soils are available there for tea plantation. It is necessary because Pakistani people like to enjoy very much the drnking of tea, that is milk-tea.

Sylhet has the same climate and soil as Assam has. But, our NW is adjucent to Darjeeling, the producer of the best quality tea. So, we expect our tea production to rise high. Please note the two separate Darjeeling maps below. BD NW is just in its east and south. So, the soil is similar, if not the same in characters.

1631879619100.png

1631879673011.png

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom