What's new

Tax Message to Pakistani citizens

A1Kaid

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
There is no good reason for why only 2% or less of Pakistani citizens are paying income tax. By not paying ince tax government will not have revenue to provide government services such as free public education, roads, welfare, medical benefits to disable, defense and police, emergency relief aid, and many other vital services government provides. When 2005 earthquake happened Pakistan was helpless and it sure didn't help 2% or less were paying taxes to their government. Government is also to be blamed for not arresting law breakers and enforcing this strictly.

So bastards pay your damn taxes, you people are literally killing the nation, I am sick of it.

Here is information for you to get started, come clean and do your duty as a citizen of Pakistan to pay your taxes.
http://www.cbr.gov.pk/

There is no good reason for why only 2% or less of Pakistani citizens are paying income tax. By not paying ince tax government will not have revenue to provide government services such as free public education, roads, welfare, medical benefits to disable, defense and police, emergency relief aid, and many other vital services government provides. When 2005 earthquake happened Pakistan was helpless and it sure didn't help 2% or less were paying taxes to their government. Government is also to be blamed for not arresting law breakers and enforcing this strictly.

So bastards pay your damn taxes, you people are literally killing the nation, I am sick of it.

Here is information for you to get started, come clean and do your duty as a citizen of Pakistan to pay your taxes.
http://www.cbr.gov.pk/

I guess some people don't trust the government. Maybe they think they would be looted by politicians...

We pay electric bills yet some how those bills don't seem to reach the electric company....
Do you think that would be the case if people directly paid their bills to the electric company?

Just read this how embarassing for the "Islamic" republic taking money from a western country who once colonized it.

MPs in UK saying why should we give Pakistanis money when even their own people aren't paying taxes to Federal government. What a shame.

Wednesday 3 April 2013 19.05 EDT

Pakistan needs to recoup more in taxes before any aid boost, say MPs
Parliamentary committee on UK aid expresses
concern over corruption, saying only 0.6% of Pakistanis pay income tax

Pakistani people complaining government is corrupt, by not paying your taxes which is your duty you are the one being corrupt. You have little right to even complain about government being corrupt when you don't pay taxes, no wonder some government officials take bribes and such.

Dur lanat on these people

I stongly belive that people need to pay their taxes or spend time in Jail.
BUT, I fully understand why people don't pay.
The money just goes into Swiss accounts and who want to pay for that?

Inshallah when PTI comes into office they should make a law that says that if you pay the past 5 years of taxes at full rates, you will get immunity, and you must continue to pay normal rate taxes for the rest of your life.
If you don't pay.... well the government should take all the non declared assets and put you in Jail.

Sounds fair to me. :D

Pakistani people complaining government is corrupt, by not paying your taxes which is your duty you are the one being corrupt. You have little right to even complain about government being corrupt when you don't pay taxes, no wonder some government officials take bribes and such.

How much Tax did you pay in Pakistan.

As long as Pakistani Government is corrupt no one will pay Taxes willingly or unwillingly because even with sincerity if someone is to pay Taxes he/she knows it will never be used by government in any good way but straight to the pockets, people would need Assurances, west gives that assurances would GOP highly unlikely. First government needs to separate hidden taxes on goods in Pakistan, standard way like in US or Canada GST/PST as printed on purchase receipt and it should be enforced on every shop/market through out Pakistan...therefore until the system isn't clean no taxes from people sincerely.

How much Tax did you pay in Pakistan.

As long as Pakistani Government is corrupt no one will pay Taxes willingly or unwillingly because even with sincerity if someone is to pay Taxes he/she knows it will never be used by government in any good way but straight to the pockets, people would need Assurances, west gives that assurances would GOP highly unlikely. First government needs to separate hidden taxes on goods in Pakistan, standard way like in US or Canada GST/PST as printed on purchase receipt and it should be enforced on every shop/market through out Pakistan...therefore until the system isn't clean no taxes from people sincerely.

That's not how it works, if you don't pay taxes you will never get things going i.e progress. Corruption is due to Pakistan's corrupt society and corrupt culture. Even when Governance was good Pakistani's never had a habit of paying taxes, including during Nawaz Sharif administration which was fairly better than most people paying their taxes is still abysmal.

You still have to pay whether you like the government or not, paying taxes is not an option it is mandatory by law, if you don't like your government or party in power you can vote them out. Your argument is a very low quality laymen argument one someone on the street would make, oh government is corrupt I'm not paying taxes; people will find any excuse not to pay taxes.

Understand, paying income tax is mandatory by law whether you like the government or not.

By not paying taxes you yourself are adding to the corruption, you're in violation of tax evasion, you're robbing the state of it's revenue. No wonder police depts, health services, many roads, public education, infrastructure in Pakistan is lacking state has no revenue to get projects going. Then you complain Government is corrupt and not doing anything, they can't do anything when there is no revenue.

That's not how it works, if you don't pay taxes you will never get things going i.e progress. Corruption is due to Pakistan's corrupt society and corrupt culture. Even when Governance was good Pakistani's never had a habit of paying taxes, including during Nawaz Sharif administration which was fairly better than most people paying their taxes is still abysmal.

You still have to pay whether you like the government or not, paying taxes is not an option it is mandatory by law, if you don't like your government or party in power you can vote them out. Your argument is a very low quality laymen argument one someone on the street would make, oh government is corrupt I'm not paying taxes; people will find any excuse not to pay taxes.

Understand, paying income tax is mandatory by law whether you like the government or not.

What did I say the system should be clean and above all there must be a system, is there a system in Pakistan where every person is notified that tax filing is due and failure to pay so will lead to jail? Pakistan needs robust, efficient and fair tax system in place every person above 17 should be registered and notified to file taxes....file taxes regardless they are poor or from earning class, those from earning class/business class and above a threshold are bound to pay to government f or that NADRA will also need to be contacted but you know what in Pakistan afghans and other nationals are getting ID cards for thousands. So again the complete system in Pakistan is extremely poor and corrupt...it needs to be scrutinized and cleansed before anything. You don't pay tax like walking into the government department asking for form to file and possibly pay NO! there is a proper system it should be developed and implemented.

I personally would want those who even earn 10,000 per month to pay taxes atleast 300/- and its payable yearly but only when there is proper system in place and educating people who is to pay and how much.

Just read this how embarassing for the "Islamic" republic taking money from a western country who once colonized it.

Pakistan is an "Islamic" republic only in name.

Understand, paying income tax is mandatory by law

Mandatory, perhaps, under the imported Anglo-Saxon legal system of Pakistan. This system legitimises the creation of fiat money backed by nothing, enabling governments to borrow without limit, since they can always tax the population to repay, and thereby putting entire future generations in debt, and enriching a miniscule group of lenders.

Since you brought up the issue of the "Islamic" republic, you do know that this model, and specifically income tax collection, is forbidden in Islam, right?

Hi,

How can someone earning 10000 pay taxes---there has to be a minimum income threshold for paying taxes----. People must file for taxes-----but it needs to be based on income.

Pakistan has one major problem---and that is of Order & Law---there must be some kind of order brought to the community by enforcing the Law.

The minimum threshold is 99000/- I believe...that should be reduced to 20,000/- after all most Pakistanis spend 1000s on mobile phones and mobile phone top-up cards even the garbage collectors keep 2 mobile phones I have seen it with my own eyes every second person in Pakistan keeps mobile phone, I have seen families with a car and income as low as 20,000, I have seen people with scooty and 50,000 worth motor bikes, how people spend lavishly on Eid and have we Pakistanis ever wonder how much people spend on color bulbs and so on...on the day/night of eid milad un nabi but won't spend a dime on zakat or Taxes. So I still believe someone who earns 10,000 can pay as low as 300-500 rupees one time every year out of 365 days it will only help Pakistan provided a fair government. If I start listing what is wrong with us Pakistan the list won't end so soon have you people noticed in CA/US/Euro a bedroom has a light bulb/shade and notice when you come to Pakistan a single bedroom has 1 tube light, 4 bulbs with shades and the style is as such you'll be thinking someone must have spent 15,000 on a single bedroom that's how we waste money and electricity as well there is no standard for anything may it be home/apt designing or tax system everything is messed up.

Hi,

How can someone earning 10000 pay taxes---there has to be a minimum income threshold for paying taxes----. People must file for taxes-----but it needs to be based on income.

Pakistan has one major problem---and that is of Order & Law---there must be some kind of order brought to the community by enforcing the Law.

ISLAMABAD, May 22: The per capita income in Pakistan is marginally up by 0.2 per cent to $1,256.8 in 2011-12, the slowest growth in recent past, which reflects the dismal performance of the economy.

The per capita income of Pakistan is $1,256.8 (2011-2012) with that per capita income many more Pakistanis especially more than 2% should be paying taxes. $1,256.8 USD equals to ~ 123,502.48 Pkr. Well above the 10,000 Pkr. Trust me not many Pakistanis are living on 10,000 Pkr only the extreme low poverty cases where people are living off of 10,000 Pkr, don't be fooled it's not a poverty reason why Pakistanis aren't paying taxes it's a tax evasion, disrespect of law, and other reasons.

Per capita income rises marginally | Newspaper | DAWN.COM

Minimum threshold should be increased to at least 200,000 pkr. The povery line itself is at around 36,000 pkr.
Anybody knows the income tax rates there.. ?

I just can't understand how this taxation rates are so low. I refuse to believe it is because every single person who doesn't pay tax has indulged in some fort of criminality in paying off the GoP or something. Is it the Pakistani tax agencies/dept is just incredibly incompetent? And is this incompetence by design (by the rich) or by accident with disastrous consequences?

Also should Pakistan not launch some sort of national bio-metric ID card/catelouge project? This would cut layers of corruption and would instantly improve taxation collection.

The per capita income of Pakistan is $1,256.8 (2011-2012) with that per capita income many more Pakistanis especially more than 2% should be paying taxes. $1,256.8 USD equals to ~ 123,502.48 Pkr. Well above the 10,000 Pkr. Trust me not many Pakistanis are living on 10,000 Pkr only the extreme low poverty cases where people are living off of 10,000 Pkr, don't be fooled it's not a poverty reason why Pakistanis aren't paying taxes it's a tax evasion, disrespect of law, and other reasons.

Even so if it is not $1,256.8 and even if it is $400.00 still people should pay something if a person can top up 300 rupees pre paid cards every month then he/she surely can pay 300-1000 rupees per year can't he/she? That is why Pakistan needs a robust efficient Tax Filing and payment reception system. Why do you think No government since 1988 couldn't do it because all were corrupt! How much would it cost perhaps same as NADRA or could have been implement at the time NADRA was being implemented.

Federal Board of Revenue, Government of Pakistan

Only delusioned Pakistanis believe that we pay 2% tax.
Reality, is Pakistan is a state which is highest taxed in the world.
Never expect any politician promising you any sort of transparency in tax net.
Parctically, it does not matter if few rich people evade tax, Taxation is a system which is designed considering masses.
It matters not if the masses are poor or rich. In case the masses are poor and uneducated.. the success of system lies in keeping it complicated and confused.
In Pakistan, Imran Khan is confusing people by telling that it will bring the few rich in tax net and all revenue problems will be solved.
Which is nonsense, considering the economics.

In developed states, investors, industrialists and exporters are offered tax relaxations rather than adding tax and promoting imports and foreign industry.

Imran Khan's task is to tax Pakistani industry and making its products expensive and forcing Indian products in Pakistan market.
Pakistani swill never be able to find out how many ships had been cleared at Pakistani ports / borders without record.

Imran Khan will promise you many stupid things but not development of local industries and transparency in state affairs.

We shall apply Zakat system instead, and force people to Pay Zakat in Pakistan, when there assets are located in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom