What's new

TATA Motors presents its new LAMV & WAAP at Defexpo 2014.

vivINDIAN

Reaction score
Country
India
Tata Motors, the country's leading supplier of mobility solutions to the armed and security forces showcased two new combat vehicles at the DEFEXPO 2014. As part of the company's strategy to enhance the scope of its defence business right up to frontline combat, Tata Motors unveils for the first time its LAMV (Light Armoured Multipurpose Vehicle).
LAMV_Light_Armoured_Multipurpose_Vehicle_TATA_Motors_Defexpo_2014_New_Delhi_India_640_001.jpg

The LAMV is developed indigenously with technical inputs from Supacat of the UK, for vital reconnaissance mobility, protection and firepower. A light patrol vehicle, the LAMV combines an integrated blast and ballistic protection system, including a protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, providing an all-round protection.

Carrying a crew of six (two+four) and using the latest composite and ceramic armour systems, the crew pod is constructed as a separate module, sealed off from potential secondary projectiles. All seats are mine-blast protected.

The LAMV has exceptional all-terrain high mobility performance, high power-to-weight ratio, automatic transmission, all-wheel independent suspension and can reach speeds of upto 105 kmph. The vehicle is also loaded with modern equipment for observation, surveillance and communication, configured to also address urban warfare, engaging threat on all terrains.

LAMV_Light_Armoured_Multipurpose_Vehicle_TATA_Motors_Defexpo_2014_New_Delhi_India_640_002.jpg

TATA Motors Kestrel at Defexpo 2014

At DefExpo 2014, the Land, Naval & Internal Homeland Security Systems Exhibition in New Delhi, the Indian Defense Company TATA Motors unveils its new local-made 8x8 amphibious armoured vehicle platform, the "Kestrel". The KESTREL is a Wheeled Armored Amphibious Platform, designed and developed indigenously with DRDO, for optimised survivability, all-terrain performance and increased lethality.
Kestrel_8x8_amphibious_armoured_vehicle_platform_TATA_Motors_India_Indian_defense_industry_Defexpo_2014_001.jpg

TATA Motors Kestrel 8x8 amphibious armoured vehicle platform at Defexpo 2014.
The Kestrel is a modular vehicle with interchangeable snap-in modules, leading to easy customization and self-reliance in achieving its roles. The major features of the vehicle include Optimized Survivability, all terrain performance and increased lethality.

Kestrel 8x8 under chassis driveline with double wish bone type independent hydro pneumatic suspension provides all terrain mobility, ensuring comfort and safety for the crew. With the front two axles steerable it gives an excellent turning circle radius of 19 m. enabling better maneuverability. The tyres have run flat capability with CTIS as a standard feature.

Kestrel's ballistic protection is modular to take care of threat levels, ranging from Stanag I to Stanag IV depending on the application. The Monocoque comprises of welded armour steel hull with applique and inner composite spall liner. The protection modules can be replaced in a short time frame to increase or decrease the protection level. The bottom of the hull is guarded by blast protection up to Stanag III Level. The energy attenuating seats for all occupants provides additional survivability.

Unlike many wheeled combat vehicles the Kestrel is fully amphibious and is propelled by a rear mounted water jet. Vehicle does not require any preparation before entering into water.

Despite being well protected, the Kestrel is capable of carrying a 30mm RWS with 2 x fire and forget missiles or with the turret-mounted cannon and missiles. In addition, the Kestrel will house one 7.62 mm co-axial MMG and an Automatic Grenade Launcher.

Kestrel_8x8_amphibious_armoured_vehicle_platform_TATA_Motors_India_Indian_defense_industry_Defexpo_2014_002.jpg

Last edited:
vivINDIAN said:
the crew pod is constructed as a separate module, sealed off from potential secondary projectiles. All seats are mine-blast protected.

Sounds good!!
But from what I know this vehicle has fuel tanks placed outside...how safe is that??

Sounds good!!
But from what I know this vehicle has fuel tanks placed outside...how safe is that??
i think this helps
"LAMV combines an integrated blast and ballistic protection system, including a protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, providing an all-round protection."

i think this helps
"LAMV combines an integrated blast and ballistic protection system, including a protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, providing an all-round protection."
And what about this
can reach speeds of upto 105 kmph.
is this on tough terrain???

And one more thing from what I know a large blast from an AVM will destroy most light vehicles... If struck in the front, the engine may be displaced completely, flooring and firewall will be destroyed, and the vehicle will be lifted off the ground. Severe
fragmentation from metals and plastic will occur and the vehicle will roll over or crash if in motion. Personnel not wearing seatbelts will be driven up by the blast into the roof of the vehicle, causing severe, if not fatal, head and neck injuries
so i have yet to understand this claim by TATA
All seats are mine-blast protected.

And what about this

And one more thing from what I know a large blast from an AVM will destroy most light vehicles... If struck in the front, the engine may be displaced completely, flooring and firewall will be destroyed, and the vehicle will be lifted off the ground. Severe
fragmentation from metals and plastic will occur and the vehicle will roll over or crash if in motion. Personnel not wearing seatbelts will be driven up by the blast into the roof of the vehicle, causing severe, if not fatal, head and neck injuries

I think TATA are merely toeing the line that other manufacturers of such APVs make. Note how no specifics are given about the blast intensity which the vehicle can withstand. It's a standard gimmick by most manufactures, I feel. also, the Afghan and Iraq wars have shown that travelling in Tanks and IFVs is no guarantee for safety from AVMs, leave alone the LAMV. :confused:

I think TATA are merely toeing the line that other manufacturers of such APVs make. Note how no specifics are given about the blast intensity which the vehicle can withstand. It's a standard gimmick by most manufactures, I feel. also, the Afghan and Iraq wars have shown that travelling in Tanks and IFVs is no guarantee for safety from AVMs, leave alone the LAMV. :confused:
right....
During the Afghan war those guys also used Maxx pro MRAP which fared better than the Humvees.But still you gotta see the pic of it after the mine blast

1.jpg

And what about this

@levina !!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink: :tup: :-).

Who are you, tell me!! :smokin:

yaa thats MRAP ...
And MaxxPro is a variant of the Pentagon’s Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected (MRAP) family of armored vehicles.
Though troops riding in MRAPs are 14 times more likely to survive an explosion than those riding in Humvees.

Where did you come across this tidbit? Very interesting! :-)

Oh Lady..... I am IMPRESSED!! :D
by the pic??? :coffee:
No you should not be.I am so sure TATA LAMV's are not even half as good.
And Chinese I guess use the SPM-2 GAZ-233036 'Tiger' 'Russian high-mobility multipurpose vehicle under license from Russia.Those look more sturdy to me.

1.jpg

Where did you come across this tidbit? Very interesting! :-)
Wait I'll give you the link...

@Indischer

The Great MRAP Debate: Are Blast-Resistant Vehicles Worth It? « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom