What's new

Tamim signs for Pune Warriors..:)

Jako

BANNED
Reaction score
Pune Warriors have signed up Bangladesh batsman Tamim Iqbal, filling all their overseas slots for the coming season. Tamim, whose signing was formalised on Wednesday, became the eleventh overseas player for the Warriors and their second signing this week after Australian captain Michael Clarke.

Tamim and the franchise management, led by their captain Sourav Ganguly, had been involved in talks for the past week. He joins Shakib Al Hasan as the second Bangladesh player in this year's IPL, and the fifth from that country in the tournament overall.

"I can gain a lot of experience by playing with greats like Sourav Ganguly and Michael Clarke. I like to talk a lot about cricket so I think I am lucky to be playing with them and look forward to learn new things," Tamim told ESPNCricinfo.

"It'll be an extra boost, so it is very important that I do well. More importantly, just like Shakib opened the door for me, I would want that with my inclusion in the IPL, it will let other players from my country to play in this competition.

"With the T20 World Cup coming up this year, it will be a big opportunity for me to perform in the format," Tamim said.

Tamim would look to carry his form into the IPL - he hit four half-centuries in the recent Asia Cup - given his failure during the Bangladesh Premier League last month where he only played two matches for the Chittagong Kings and scored only eight runs.

Tamim Iqbal signs for Pune Warriors | Cricket News | Indian Premier League 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

AWESOOOMEEE!!!....Pune's the kolkata knightriders for me this season,with dada in lead and lots of players from Bengal!

lol from the title of this thread, I thought General/Col Tamim have joined Pune Regiment or something like that :rofl:

@

Tamim Iqbal is a good player and has also played in English counties. So good for him...

He is a very good batsman and I am fan of his since I saw his batting against India in 2007 world cup where he hit sixes to ZK.. He is a elegant left hander who hit crisp shots from off side... Would please to see him hitting boundries and sixes... He reminds me of Saeed Anwar..

Yup. May i have this dance? :)

hurr-durr-derp-face-you-shoulda-put-a-derp-on-it.gif

good player without a doubt lets see if he can keep up his fifty strikes.... and with gunguly leading they could be a fearsome team and on top of it all they have clarke too

Welcome to pune warriors , Tamim bhai. and Michael bhia you are also welcome.

Michael Clarke joins Sahara Pune Warriors for undisclosed sum

PUNE: Sahara Pune Warriors, who were eager to rope in a big star in place of the ailing Yuvraj Singh, have got the man they wanted.

Australia's Test and ODI captain Michael Clarke has agreed to join them for two IPL seasons for an undisclosed sum.

Clarke, who will be 31 next week, is a refined middle-order batsman and can be a utility bowler with his slower stuff. He has never been part of IPL and retired from international T20 last year.

Clarke's inclusion is a coup of sorts for Pune as the Aussie was not available in IPL's auction pool.

"It's a big thing for us," said Abhijeet Sarkar, corporate communication head of the Sahara group, the owners of Pune franchise. "All credit to captain Sourav Ganguly and others who were involved in the negotiations. Clarke will be an integral part of Warriors' unit. He is a player of big stature and can fill in the shoes of Yuvraj."

Pune were given extended time to trade and finalise their squad after they boycotted the auction on February 4 and also threatened to pull out of the IPL. Having lost Aussies Tim Paine, Mitchell Marsh and James Hopes to injuries this season, they went ahead and roped in Raiphi Gomez, Steven Smith, Marlon Samuels and Luke Wright.

It has been learnt that Pune have got IPL's clearance for a replacement for Hopes and are likely to clinch a deal with Bangladesh opener Tamim Iqbal.

Clarke, recovering from a hamstring injury, will not be available for at least first four matches as Australia would be playing the Test series in West Indies in April. He is expected to join the team for their big game against Mumbai Indians on May 3.

Clarke can give solidity to the Warriors middle-order as their top-order comprises of a host of hit-and-miss players like Graeme Smith, Robin Uthappa and Samuels. Clarke is the second big name acquired by Pune outside the auction process after Sourav Ganguly. The latter was available in the auction last season but no franchise bid for him. Even Brian Lara had no takers last season.

Clarke is the second marquee player bought for an undisclosed sum this season. Delhi Daredevils got Kevin Pietersen from Deccan Chargers through a transfer process.

I'll be damn. My good friend Jako still lurking around here. Oh man. I have to spend more time in PDF. :azn:

Back
Top Bottom