What's new

Tamil Nadu fishermen provoking conflict by entering Lankan waters

samv

Reaction score
TN fishermen provoking conflict by entering Lankan waters

Anirban Bhaumik, Aug 22, 2013, DHNS:

Dharmalingam’s pursuit of livelihood abruptly came to a pause on June 15, when he was arrested by Sri Lankan navy for allegedly crossing the international maritime boundary line in Palk Strait and illegally fishing in the island nation’s waters. The fisherman from Rameshwaram in Tamil Nadu had to spend eight weeks in a jail in Sri Lanka before he was set free on August 16 to come back home — penniless and, of course, without a catch.

He was just one among many Indian fishermen who go through such ordeals. The number of Tamil Nadu fishermen in Sri Lanka’s custody went up to 114 by early August. Chief minister J Jayalalitha has writen to prime minister Manmohan Singh, calling upon the Centre to lodge a strong protest against “unlawful abduction and arrest” of fishermen by the Sri Lankan navy.

Colombo, however, says that the fishermen were arrested only after they illegally entered the Lankan waters – a claim, which New Delhi too quietly endorses. The demarche the Sri Lankan envoy to India, Prasad Kariyawasam, was served when he was called in to the ministry of external affairs on August 7 conveyed Delhi’s protest to Colombo over the delay in release of the incarcerated fishermen, but did not question the legitimacy of the arrests. For, many fishermen of Tamil Nadu do cross the maritime boundary and only a few of them do it inadvertently. This is a fact well acknowledged by both sides, yet it often gets drowned in the cacophony of competitive Sri Lanka bashing in Tamil Nadu. “Fishermen from both sides must learn to respect the IMBL and not tread on the fishing grounds owned by the fishermen of the other country,” says Kariyawasam.

Colombo claims that as many as 29,039 fishing boats from Tamil Nadu were spotted on the Sri Lankan waters in the last seven months, with the highest – 8369 – being recorded in July. “Indians come in droves to fish in Sri Lankan waters because the resources on the other side have depleted fast over the past few years, particularly after the Tamil Nadu fishermen started using motorised bottom-trawlers, giving up traditional boats and sustainable fishing methods,” says S P Anthonymuttu, an advisor to the ministry of fisheries and aquatic resources of Sri Lankan government.

Two agreements

Asked about the root of the problem, the fisher-folk, politicians and intelligentsia of Tamil Nadu will all point to the two agreements, which India and Sri Lanka inked in 1974 and 1976 to settle the maritime boundary. They allege that India not only ‘ceded’ Kachchatheevu to Sri Lanka in 1974, but also gave away the Tamil Nadu fishermen’s rights on the resource-rich fishing area around the 285.2 acre island. The Articles 5 and 6 of the 1974 agreement do protect the ‘traditional rights’ of Indian pilgrims and fishermen on and around Kachchatheevu.

Sri Lankan government, however, says that the ‘traditional rights’ for Indian pilgrims were limited to attending the annual festival at the church on Kachchatheevu, while those of Indian fishermen were restricted to going to the islet only to dry their nets. The 1976 pact and subsequent Exchange of Letters between New Delhi and Colombo, however, categorically ruled out the Indian and Sri Lankan fishermen’s rights to fish in each other’s historic waters, continental shelf and Exclusive Economic Zone.

“The 1974 and 1976 agreements put in peril livelihood of thousands of fishermen in India and are at the root of all the problems we are experiencing today,” says N Devadas, an advisor to the Tamil Nadu Fishermen’s Federation.

As the ethnic conflict erupted in Sri Lanka in 1983, the fishermen of its northern and eastern provinces were barred from fishing, amid fears that they might be used by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam to smuggle in weapons. A large number of Tamil Nadu fishermen were also killed in the crossfire between Sri Lankan soldiers and the LTTE guerrillas. Since late 1990s, however, Sri Lankan navy generally looked the other way, when fishers from Tamil Nadu went to fish in the island nation’s waters, barring, of course, some militarily sensitive areas.

Lankan fishermen returned to the seas only after the government eased restrictions on fishing following the 2002 truce with the LTTE. “Since the end of the civil war in Sri Lanka, the nature of the conflict in Palk Bay has changed from the one between Indian fishermen and Sri Lankan navy to the one that set technologically less advantaged Sri Lankan fishers against their Tamil Nadu counterparts, who use high-yielding mechanised bottom trawlers,” says A S Soosai, an associate professor in Jaffna University.

The ‘Tamil cause’ in Sri Lanka often raised passion and influenced politics in Tamil Nadu. The fishing conflict in Palk Strait, however, has Tamils on both sides and it does turn violent at times. Five Tamil Nadu fishermen were injured in an attack by their Sri Lankan counterparts off the coast of Kodiakarai on July 30. The two governments have been encouraging their fishermen to meet and try to resolve the conflict. Devadas and Anthonymuttu are coordinating efforts in India and Sri Lanka for dialogues between leaders of fishermen from both sides.

As over-exploitation resulted in rapid depletion of fish stocks in Indian waters, DMK chief M Karunanidhi recently demanded that New Delhi should ask Colombo to allow Tamil Nadu fishers to fish in Sri Lankan waters for at least a few months every year. Sri Lanka earlier rejected a proposal from India to issue licenses to some Tamil Nadu fishermen to fish across the IMBL.

A possible way to resolve the issue is to encourage fishermen of both sides to go beyond the narrow strait between the two nations for deep sea fishing in resource-rich international waters in the vicinity. A Sri Lankan business delegation was in New Delhi recently to explore tie-ups with fishers of Andhra Pradesh for a joint venture for deep sea fishing in Bay of Bengal. More such initiatives will possibly avert future flashpoints in the fishing conflicts in the Palk Strait.

TN fishermen provoking conflict by entering Lankan waters

Expect stoic silence to this thread by those obvious few.. After all their years of false propaganda anti Lanka rhetoric and hate and misinformation without any rebuttal in this forum is over

Expect stoic silence to this thread by those obvious few.. After all their years of false propaganda anti Lanka rhetoric and hate and misinformation without any rebuttal in this forum is over

shoot them dead as they shoot at Bangladeshis for crossing over to indian territory

I agree,they are quite an unruly lot and are funded by the Catholic Church and advised so to create conflict on purpose.

shoot them dead as they shoot at Bangladeshis for crossing over to indian territory

I personally feel that they should.. Given that it's organised crime at the behest of their political masters in Madras.. Atleast our northern fishermen have been cracking few heads of theirs.. But I guess legal way is always better

Would like to know the views of rational Indian posters on this subject, Most of them would have been fed so much misinformation about the innocent "Indian" fishermen by Madrasis by now

I agree,they are quite an unruly lot and are funded by the Catholic Church and advised so to create conflict on purpose.

Ta mate.. It's indeed refreshing and indeed rare to have the same view point on many issues( Not just this) with an Indian poster

Lankan courts chargesheet 106 TN fishermen

Posted on August 22, 2013 in Top News

P K Balachandran

One hundred and six fishermen from Tamil Nadu have so far been chargesheeted by magistrates in North and East Sri Lanka for trespassing into and poaching in Lankan waters.

Indian officials told Express here on Wednesday, that 34 fishermen from Nagapattinam and Karaikal were chargesheeted by the Point Pedro Magistrate. In Trincomalee, the local magistrate chargesheeted 31. The magistrates posted the next hearing to August 28. Earlier, 41 fishermen had been chargesheeted by the Mannar Magistrate. Thus, a total of 106 Tamil Nadu fishermen are in judicial custody in North and East Lanka.

The chargesheeting signifies a marked change in the Lankan attitude to intruding Indian fishermen. Previously, the poachers used to be kept for a few days and discharged on the intervention of officials of the Indian High Commission. Even their boats would be returned as per the bilateral understanding that straying fishermen should be dealt with in a humane manner.

Lankan officials complained that the Indian authorities, including the Coast Guard, were not doing enough to prevent Indian fishermen from crossing the maritime boundary line.

Lankan courts chargesheet 106 TN fishermen | The New Indian Express

I personally feel that they should.. Given that it's organised crime at the behest of their political masters in Madras.. Atleast our northern fishermen have been cracking few heads of theirs.. But I guess legal way is always better

Would like to know the views of rational Indian posters on this subject, Most of them would have been fed so much misinformation about the innocent "Indian" fishermen by Madrasis by now

Ta mate.. It's indeed refreshing and indeed rare to have the same view point on many issues( Not just this) with an Indian poster

To be honest Gibbs,I dont want to toe the line of either parties,the LTTE or the Srilankan Govt,

My only issue is that peace or war between India and Srilanka should happen without outside interference.

It is not like we live in Mars and Venus,that someone is needed to do diplomacy.

PS: I am a Madrasi too.

To be honest Gibbs,I dont want to toe the line of either parties,the LTTE or the Srilankan Govt,

My only issue is that peace or war between India and Srilanka should happen without outside interference.

It is not like we live in Mars and Venus,that someone is needed to do diplomacy.

It's irrelevant where one is from if he has rational and balanced view on matters.. Ofcause nobody is completely unbiased..

FYI.. That term has a clear distinction between people of Tamil Nadu and those with political separatist affiliations there as far as im concerned and I have iterated this before.. I have never used it to generalise people of TN nor Tamils in general

If these fishermen were from a different country, or even from a different Indian state (other than TN), I might have sympathised them.

But the thing is they are NOT an innocent bunch who come to our seas to find their daily meals.

They come here with a different motive. That is disrupting Ind-SL relations and make it always under strained. That is their motive.

Also these fishermen enter Lankan seas in 1000s per DAY. but our navy only arrest like 20 for a time. And that too after so many warnings.

Actually Katchchatheevu wouldnt really come up. It is NOT relevant to the topic. But they talk about a Katchchatheevu because they want to create animosity among India n SL.
Also they want to look innocent and oppressed lot in the eyes of other indians.

That is their target. Katchchatheevu has no relevance since most of the arrests take place NO where close to the isle. Most of them are arrested in Mannar, Jaffna and even Trinco which are so close to Lankan border and well within our seas.

This is clearly a criminal activity and not the acts of some poor fishermen

Of course we neednt someone to do diplomacy between SL n Ind. But the TNs (most of them) create a very wrong picture of SL in the eyes of SL.
Actually India and SL are same culturally, religously, and we share a bond since ancient times. Why let these TN political parties to undermine them.

Also India needs to understand SL has to take measures to strengthen its defence and security.

another thing many TN fellows here would disappear when they cant prove their point on SL and even go to the lowest level of deleting threads.

That's protocol. That is what they are doing anyway. :sniper:

No despite all the false propaganda from TN, unfortunately this is what really happens..

Sri Lankan court extends remand of 65 TN fishermen

Two courts in Sri Lanka on Wednesday extended till August 28 the remand of 65 Tamil Nadu fishermen, who were arrested by naval personnel of the island nation last month for reportedly crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line.

The fishermen from Nagapattinam, Karaikal and Akkaraipettai had put out to sea on July 30 when they were arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel, officials said.

The fishermen, lodged in prisons in Paruthithurai and Trikonamalai, were produced before magistrates of courts in those towns on Wednesday, who extended their remand till August 28, they said.

Sri Lankan court extends remand of 65 TN fishermen - The Hindu

It's irrelevant where one is from if he has rational and balanced view on matters.. Ofcause nobody is completely unbiased..

FYI.. That term has a clear distinction between people of Tamil Nadu and those with political separatist affiliations there as far as im concerned and I have iterated this before.. I have never used it to generalise people of TN nor Tamils in general

Dont harp much on the Madrasi tag,talk about the bigger issue.

Of course we neednt someone to do diplomacy between SL n Ind. But the TNs (most of them) create a very wrong picture of SL in the eyes of SL.
Actually India and SL are same culturally, religously, and we share a bond since ancient times. Why let these TN political parties to undermine them.

Also India needs to understand SL has to take measures to strengthen its defence and security.

another thing many TN fellows here would disappear when they cant prove their point on SL and even go to the lowest level of deleting threads.

Well said...

Back
Top Bottom