What's new

Talking to the Taliban

''ye karzai kya bechta hai yaar '' real plears don't want this

Taliban are slowly winning the war. Recently Diplomats and Politicians are all coming out to confirm the real situation over there. They are realising that Taliban cannot be defeated conventionally, and a truce is the only means to ensure the survival of the puppet government.

I wouldn't say the Taliban are winning this war. Problem is, they are just not loosing it. And all they have to do not to loose it is to just stay alive, since it is their country, they know NATO will have to leave sooner or later.

The Karzai Call to Mullah Omar can be seen as a US call to Mullah Omar in proxy.

Everyone knows the relationship between Karzai and Bush is that of a puppeteer and his puppet.

Although the puppet's clothes look like something from Mirza Ghalib's era, it would hardly have seemed convincing to the locals if Uncle Sam had put "kermit the frog" in charge.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the Taliban are winning this war. Problem is, they are just not loosing it. And all they have to do not to loose it is to just stay alive, since it is their country, they know NATO will have to leave sooner or later.

What is the problem if Taliban in Afghanistan are not loosing war?

At least they are keeping Karzai's forces engaged which otherwise would happily become part of show run by CIA & RAW in FATA called TTP.

U're right, it's not our problem...It's a problem for the US.
As for Qarzai, I think it is in his interest if the Taliban insurgency continues on a low level, otherwise he might be without a job, as I don't see the Americans using their influence to keep the puppet in power much longer after their tactical goals in AFghanistan are achieved.
If he was ever forced from his job, where would Qarzai find another one? Going back to USA could be an option, but what would he do there? He probably wouldn't even be able to drive a cab anymore.

NATO does not rule out Afghan talks with Taliban

by Jim Mannion
Wed Oct 1, 2:44 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The general who commands NATO forces in Afghanistan called Wednesday for enlisting tribes to help pacify the country and did not rule out reconciliation with ousted Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar.

General David McKiernan, the commander of the International Security Assistance Force, also said the coalition needs more troops for what he said is an increasingly "tough fight" in eastern and southern Afghanistan.

"And until we get to what I call a tipping point where the lead for security can be in the hands of the Afghan Army and the Afghan Police, there is going to be a need for the international community to provide military capabilities," he told reporters.

McKiernan has asked for four more US combat brigades, support forces, helicopters and reconnaissance, intelligence and surveillance capabilities.

McKiernan said that any reconciliation efforts should be led by the Afghan government, but that the military would support it.

Asked whether dealing with the man who harbored Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was beyond the pale, McKiernan said, "I think that's a political decision that will ultimately be made by political leadership."

Afghanistan's President Hamid Karzai said Tuesday that he has asked Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to arrange talks with the Taliban so that Omar and other militia leaders could return home in peace.

"Ultimately, the solution in Afghanistan is going to be a political solution not a military solution," said McKiernan, who spoke to reporters at a Pentagon news conference.

"We're not going to run out of bad guys there that want to do bad things in Afghanistan," he said.

"So the idea that the government of Afghanistan will take on the idea of reconciliation, I think, is (an) approach and we'll be there to provide support within our mandate," he said.[/
COLOR]

His visit to Washington comes as the administration is conducting a wide-ranging strategy review prompted by rising insurgent violence in Afghanistan fueled from sanctuaries in neighboring Pakistan.

The Afghan national army is supposed to double in size to 134,000 troops in four years, but McKiernan said he did not know how long it would take to reach a point where international forces can shrink in size.

Drawing on the US experience in Iraq, however, McKiernan suggested that a rebalancing of power between the central government and the tribes could help provide security at a local level.

"And it seems to me that with the lead of the government of Afghanistan engaging those tribes and connecting them to governance, whether it's at the provincial level or the district level, seems to be a smart thing," he said.

He acknowledged that "that has to be done correctly or you get back into the problems of armed militias, of support to warlords, or corrupt practices."

But he said it should be left to the government in part because the tribal structure in Afghanistan is too complex and traumatized by 30 years of war for foreign military commanders to navigate.

McKiernan also emphasized the importance of a strategy that encompasses neighboring Pakistan.

He said he was encouraged by the Pakistani government's use of tribes there to go after militants in the tribal areas and its recent military operations in Bajaur, an insurgent stronghold.

But it was not yet clear whether it has an impact on the insurgency in Afghanistan, he said.

McKiernan said he would pursue a proposal raised last week by Afghanistan's defense minister for a combined Afghan-Pakistani-ISAF force able to operate on both sides the Afghan-Pakistani border.

He said it was a "very powerful idea" that the Pakistani might accept if it were "done the right way."

NATO does not rule out Afghan talks with Taliban - Yahoo! News

Its in US history, during 48 years of different military conflicts only 8% of insurgency been controlled.
Answer of every question.

Its in US history, during 48 years of different military conflicts only 8% of insurgency been controlled.
Answer of every question.

The problem is that they are joining hands with Taliban in Afghanistan while arming proxy taliban against Pakistan.

They are going for talks with Taliban but pressurising us to kill them and criticising us for holding talks with them.

Karzai offers government office to Taliban
Updated Sat. Sep. 29 2007 10:56 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has offered the Taliban a position in government if the group renounces violence, and Defence Minister Peter MacKay has supported the proposal.

The move, part of Karzai's stepped-up calls for negotiations in recent weeks, came as 30 people were killed by a bus blast in Kabul, the Afghan capital.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.

Karzai offered Saturday to meet with Taliban leader Mullah Omar and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, a former prime minister and factional warlord leader -- saying he would even meet on their territory.
"If I find their address, there is no need for them to come to me, I'll personally go there and get in touch with them," Karzai said.

"Esteemed Mullah, sir, and esteemed Hekmatyar, sir, why are you destroying the country?"

If a group of Taliban militants came to Karzai and offered to halt attacks in exchange for a role in government, he would accept, he said.

"If there will be a demand and a request like that to me, I will accept it because I want conflicts and fighting to end in Afghanistan."

"I wish there would be a demand as easy as this. I wish that they would want a position in the government. I will give them a position," he said.

He said he has contact with the militant group through tribal elders, but there is currently no direct line of communication with the Taliban.

There is no indication yet whether the offer will be accepted.

Speaking in Halifax on Saturday, Defence Minister Peter MacKay backed Karzai's proposal, if it meant an end to violence against NATO forces.

"If (the proposal) involves having the (Taliban) leadership accept those conditions and renounce the violence, then it's moving towards what we all want to see, and that is a stable, peaceful society in Afghanistan," he said.

Karzai renewed his calls for talks with the Taliban earlier in the month. A Taliban spokesperson initially said the group was open to negotiations, but later said talks would only happen if all foreign troops left the country.
That demand is unlikely to be met, as Karzai has called on NATO members -- including Canada -- in recent weeks to extend or boost their troop commitments to his country.

Karzai said Saturday the demand is impossible.

"It should be very clear until all our roads are paved, until we have good electricity and good water, and also until we have a better Afghan national army and national police, I don't want any foreigners to leave Afghanistan," he said.

But he said he still hopes to negotiate with Taliban militants. He said he wouldn't hold talks with al Qaeda or other foreign militants.

Sunil Ram, a professor of military history and land warfare with the American Military University, told CTV Newsnet that Karzai's decision makes sense.

"As it now stands the situation is untenable, and clearly to try and bring some level of stability to Afghanistan the Taliban have to be talked to," Ram said.

Neither NATO nor the Taliban has the ability to defeat the other militarily, so talks between the two sides are really the only way forward, Ram said.

"Ultimately we're going to have to come to a negotiated settlement at least to create a modicum of peace as opposed to the relative chaos that is sporadically all over the country."

He also said Karzai is right to have rejected the Taliban's terms for the talks, suggesting that if NATO nations pulled out of Afghanistan the Taliban would have little reason to deal with Karzai and could likely overthrow the government.

Daan Everts, NATO's ambassador to Afghanistan, has suggested growing numbers of Taliban are willing to lay down their arms and he said the group would look into the possibility of talks.

With files from The Associated Press

CTV.ca | Karzai offers government office to Taliban

The problem is that they are joining hands with Taliban in Afghanistan while arming proxy taliban against Pakistan.

They are going for talks with Taliban but pressurising us to kill them and criticising us for holding talks with them.

so mam u mean talking to taliban in afghanistan is not in favour of pakistan?

so mam u mean talking to taliban in afghanistan is not in favour of pakistan?

013c801129f8e9a2c421316a564d86f0.gif

Karzai should be left to deal with the mess. Karzai is a US puppet now in trouble. Don't start dreaming that he is a "nice" guy as you saw him sitting in Presidential oath ceremony of Zardari. Karzai is anti-Pakistan and will always remain one.

Pakistan shouldn't help in any type of negotiations between Afghan Taliban and Karzai government.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom