What's new

Talk tough to Sri Lanka, Jayalalithaa tells Manmohan

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Tamilnadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to convey the Centre's serious objection to Sri Lanka with regard to the continuous incidents of harassment and attacks on the fishermen of Tamilnadu.

In a letter to Manmohan, a copy of which was released to the press here, she said, 'I would also like to emphasise that the harassment of the fishermen of Tamilnadu should be viewed as an act of provocation and aggression against India by Sri Lanka, similar to acts of firing across the borders of India by neighbours such as Pakistan and China. The attack on the fishermen belonging to Tamilnadu should be viewed as a national issue and not as an isolated problem of Tamilnadu alone.'

Bringing to the Prime Minister's attention various incidents of attacks and harassment of fishermen of Tamilnadu by the Sri Lankan Navy and Sri Lankan 'miscreants' while fishing in the Palk Bay area, the Chief Minister recalled that the the fishermen of Tamilnadu had, from time immemorial, been fishing in the Palk Bay area in order to earn their livelihood.

'This government accords the highest priority to protecting the fishing rights of its fishermen and ensuring their safety. I wish to inform you with deep anguish that since this government took charge in May 2011, there have been as many as 16 incidents of attacks / harassment and apprehension of Tamilnadu fishermen by the Sri Lankan Authorities.'

Jayalalithaa further said: 'When Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai called on me in Chennai on 8 October, I brought the various incidents of attacks and harassment to his notice and requested him to take up the above issues with the government of Sri Lanka.'

'However, it is distressing to note that on the same day, even before the Foreign Secretary reached Colombo, the Sri Lankan Navy again chased away our fishermen in the sea by firing in the air, off Mandapam coast of Ramanathapuram district and this incident has been widely reported in the print and electronic media.'

She added: 'I request your kind intervention in this issue of great concern and request the government of India to convey its serious objection to the Sri Lankan government with regard to the continuous incidents of harassment and attacks on the fishermen of Tamilnadu.'

http://newstodaynet.com/newsindex.php?id=25797%20&%20section=6

I don't think MMS ever attended 'Talking Tough 101'.;)

How many fishermen in Sri Lanka have an understanding of where eh maritime border stands ?
They dont need to understand as long as IN is quite, they will once they come into the picture. Oops Indian coast guard not IN.

TN doesn't dictate national politics of India.
If TN is an integral part of India then an attack on the TN fishermen is a act of agression on India and India has to stand tough on this issue. If you think otherwise f*ck off.

Besides MMS does not know how to speek tough(Incompetency at is best when it comes to MMS being the PM)

Better government can provide guns and training for TN fisherman that would be gud option. Along with state govt. can introduce own naval patrol boats across the sea .Still TN govt think that central govt. will take severe action in this regard then it is damn foolishness. we should protect our people don't ask others help becoz its our problem we have to resolve it.

I dont understand one thing, where is the case of TN dictating here? The cronies in the center must realise one thing patience is running out.....
If ur crap brain has less competency in understanding the ground reality then please refrain from posting such one line BS.

Mind your words stupid . If GOI failed to protect our life and strategic interest then wat is need to be the integral part of India , u knw within 4 months 16 times they attacked no reaction frm the coward govt. I don't wish say that above but u forced me to saying this.

This is the exact type of sentiment that needs to be exploited againt India. Forget the Maoists, Islamists, etc etc. This type of mockery the people from the North of India exude towards the South is a faultline not appreciated by most. It parallels the same delusions of grandeur the Pakistani's had against the Bangla people back in the day. :flame:

This is the exact type of sentiment that needs to be exploited againt India. Forget the Maoists, Islamists, etc etc. This type of mockery the people from the North of India exude towards the South is a faultline not appreciated by most. It parallels the same delusions of grandeur the Pakistani's had against the Bangla people back in the day. :flame:

Your nation itself is a product of a faultline.

pakistan, sri lanka, china. i hope more countries join soon for india's big going away party in 2012-2020 :whistle:

there will be a lot of "fireworks" for india.

Back
Top Bottom