What's new

Talk of the town: Caretaker setup and Financial Emergency in progress

The powerful use similar plots around the world. In the UK they want to privatice the Health system so they're under fund it on purpose to weaken and destroy it so then they can say "the only solution is to privatise it". In Pakistan they on purpose destroy PIA and big government industries and then buy it for peanuts for themselves and make billions. Same plots repeat but the people have no clue.

What i don't understand is where is the world number 1 agency? Why are they not aware of the plots? The MI job is to keep an eye on traitor generals but is still quiet.
When you are in a position of power the first thing you do is surround yourself with friends and family so that you can keep grip of your power and when dirty work is done no one squeals.

Technocrat gov, is worse than pdm as you will have these technocrats reporting directly to the corrupt generals..
Generals screw up and now trying to make the nation fools thinking so called technocrats will fix everything and restore army’s lost pride in the process…
This is never ending story, Generals never willing to lose their grip on power. Nothing will change.... 55 years of direct rule of the military and the remaining indirect rule ...everything is getting worst ...and now ....the whole world is under economic stress and no one is willing to help.

@FuturePAF

The neighboring countries seem poised to keep growing, but Pakistan looks like it will stagnate or decline if something new isn’t done soon.

I have an answer for that, albeit an incomplete one. Pakistan's perennially low savings rate, which has always been lower than 15% or thereabouts whereas most of Asia including relatively poor countries like IND and BD have kept it at close to 25-30% for over 2 decades now. What I don't have an answer to is why it should be so. Perhaps @RiazHaq or @VCheng sb or @niaz sb may have an answer. (I intend to open a new thread when I have time on that)

Regards

Informal Savings in Pakistan

According to research by Oraan, around 41pc Pakistanis saved via committees (or Rosca), whereas Karandaaz puts that figure at 34pc. Assuming the informal economy accounts for roughly 30pc, as suggested by research from the Pakistan Institute of Developing Economics, it translates into annual committees of Rs4 trillion at base prices, using conservative inputs.

While this back-of-the-envelope calculation is far from scientific, it helps contextualise how big the informal savings market really is. Everyone from a widow looking to save up for her children’s education to young adults trying to save up for their marriage, committees are what they turn to.

This phenomenon is not exclusive to Pakistan. According to a note by Middle East Venture Partners (one of the investors in Bykea), “the global market is largely untapped and ripe for disruption with 2.4 billion people using money circles through traditional channels.”

They recently participated in the Egyptian digital committees’ startup MoneyFellows’ $31m Series B.

Apart from the traditional financial institutions’ general apathy towards the customer, committees appeal to an average Pakistani for several reasons: they are a community-based instrument with some level of flexibility and there is no interest involved.

Most importantly, it helps them manage cash flow better due to habitual change. For women, the product enjoys particular popularity since the former financial services are largely inaccessible.

However, since committees are primarily cash-based with virtually no money trail involved, it poses massive risks, as we saw recently when a girl, Sidra Humaid, who ran a network of committees through social media, defaulted on Rs420m of payments.

----

Even beyond this, committees have flaws by design, only amplified by Pakistan’s macros. For instance, the person receiving the first lump sum amount will always be at an advantage since their instalments in the subsequent months would be worth less due to both inflation and rupee depreciation. The recipient of the last payment would see the amount’s purchasing power eroded substantially by the time they get it.

Moreover, due to the community-based nature of the product, the risk of network defaulting is higher as people of usually similar risk profiles would be pooling in their money.

For example, if employees from an organisation have running office committees, delayed salaries or layoffs within the organisation would lead to a bad equilibrium, creating losses for the rest of the group, often resulting in default.

However, there are ways to address some of those challenges. First of all, to (partially) protect your lump sum from depreciation or devaluation, you can enter a committee with a duration of up to 10 months. Given Pakistan’s macros of late, you’d still lose money in real terms but to be fair, that’d most likely be the case in any other instrument as well, including the risk-free government papers.

In fact, contrary to popular perception, there are certain ways to further alleviate the inflation problem. Digital committees have an option of gamifying the experience by rewarding good payment behaviour through loyalty programs and/or brand partnerships to provide discounts on utilities-based services and products.

Secondly, digital committees help create a trail of money which, coupled with a centralised authority (the platform itself), brings in accountability and recourse in the event of a default. The receipt and/or ledger helps with basic accounting in committees creating transparency for people within the group.

The third benefit of digital committees is the security factor. The participant has to go through a know-your-customer and credit check process to make sure there is no fraudulent behaviour that could negatively impact the group, along with the participant’s ability and willingness to pay to create an overall environment for responsible finance.

Imran will be signing his own death warrant if he agrees to this.. His should be lone voice opposing this pseudo-dictatorship...

Agreed, He shouldn’t endorse a system outside the constitution. it would be political suicide to his cause and any hopes of winning re-election.

If he endorses it he will be giving his his political capital without having any power to make policies. Taking blame without any of the benefits.

Besides, those that run a technocratic setup are planning to do what they are going to do anyway, which includes when elections will be allowed. This setup just seems like a way to rescue the reputation of the PDM parties even ahead of stopping the nation from defaulting.

IK would do better to rally people (domestically and internationally) to raise funds in anticipation of his re-election so that when he gets back into office, real reforms can be made with the weight of funds, not loans. If he can show he has funds in hand, it’s more likely elections will happen sooner rather then later.

Last edited:
@RiazHaq @FuturePAF

Thanks for your inputs. But still have some follow ups:

There are informal savings and informal economy in IND and BD too.

All the more reason for the elites to end elite capture

Elite capture and corruption are quite bad in IND/BD too.

So what explains the divergence between the svaings rates.

Regards

Actually, you should read your post again. What you have (intentionally?) missed is that you seem to be more upset at me from being insulated from all the travails that are indeed a matter of routine by now, since they are indeed nothing new.

Consider this too: if the sky had indeed fallen for the people, as a certain segment of the twittertits claims endlessly, they would have actually done something about it by now. And they have not. Merely turning the other cheek for more slaps is no way to change anything. Obviously, a majority of the people remain comfortable enough to be not bothered to actually get up and effect a serious change.
Actually, I have a problem with absurdities. Can't help but try to reason with them. It's a compulsion I have. I know it's bad. I am drawn to it like a fly is drawn to shit.
:D

The fact that you are insulated from it all, does have a bearing on what you have to say, esp since what you have to say is eerily similar to what dumb white westerners have to say today about the third world.
Why don't they help themselves?
And that's what you are saying. You are sitting over there passing judgements like
"It's nothing new and since people didn't take up pitchforks, it's all good"
So, that would mean colonialism was also okay since most peoples didn't take up arms for the centuries, all the way up until the last few years.

Like white westerners, you conveniently forget that Pakistanis, for all their faults, have many challenges before overcome. That literally the entire machinery of the state, in fact the state itself is actively blocking meaningful change. and that they don't live in a vacuum and there are other factors involved too. Like, and you'll forgive me for saying, the USA (and assorted well-wishers)

But forget about everything else, something tells me even if a revolution came, you'd be sitting here going
This is nothing of consequence. They should learn from the Latins how to have revolutions :D

@RiazHaq @FuturePAF

Regards
Not sure, perhaps the government pickups the slack in cost of living some how, allowing people to be able to save more.

Actually, I have a problem with absurdities. Can't help but try to reason with them. It's a compulsion I have. I know it's bad. I am drawn to it like a fly is drawn to shit.
:D

The fact that you are insulated from it all, does have a bearing on what you have to say, esp since what you have to say is eerily similar to what dumb white westerners have to say today about the third world.
Why don't they help themselves?
And that's what you are saying. You are sitting over there passing judgements like
"It's nothing new and since people didn't take up pitchforks, it's all good"
So, that would mean colonialism was also okay since most peoples didn't take up arms for the centuries, all the way up until the last few years.

Like white westerners, you conveniently forget that Pakistanis, for all their faults, have many challenges before overcome. That literally the entire machinery of the state, in fact the state itself is actively blocking meaningful change. and that they don't live in a vacuum and there are other factors involved too. Like, and you'll forgive me for saying, the USA (and assorted well-wishers)

But forget about everything else, something tells me even if a revolution came, you'd be sitting here going
This is nothing of consequence. They should learn from the Latins how to have revolutions :D

Rather than imagining a scenario, then divining my response to said scenario and throwing in a bit of emotionally triggering whataboutery, why not keep it real like this:

Despite all the claims of widespread support among the people and even the military, everything the PTI has tried out for the last several months has been pretty much ineffective. Now the latest brainwave is to start holding regional protests against inflation from today. If there is truly widespread support for them, as is claimed, then we should be able to see that. In real life.

Pitchforks to door kee baat he, yahan to ek daranti bhi nazar nahi aa rahi. :D

@RiazHaq @FuturePAF

Regards

The size of the informal economy in Pakistan is much larger.

AVvXsEgznc-n88mFpcsJ347bMyUpXkRnJ_tVin24d1arCZAPgY-aEC-n6y2-Ccz-JTtplY97bHa7bfJU_iLXyDbEUM-YDWQNmX6hmfCFjNwtT7xYoxd2J2PLb0ZO3Y9lmDJnYmMqXzVRdZLeX9L3u1ex-MbeXV3d-KFNlmGuTsYyByd-ejgjK1dYocgpjOkU5w=s1600

Pakistan's service sector which contributes more than 50% of the country's GDP is mostly cash-based and least documented. Compared to Bangladesh and India, there is a lot more currency in circulation as a percentage of overall money supply in Pakistan. According to the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), the currency in circulation has increased to Rs. 7.4 trillion by the end of the financial year 2020-21, up from Rs 6.7 trillion in the last financial year, a double-digit growth of 10.4% year-on-year. Currency in circulation (CIC), as percent of M2 money supply and currency-to-deposit ratio, has been increasing over the last few years. The CIC/M2 ratio is now close to 30%, according to the State Bank of Pakistan. The average CIC/M2 ratio in FY18-21 was measured at 28%, up from 22% in FY10-15. This 1.2 trillion rupee increase could have generated undocumented GDP of Rs 3.1 trillion at the historic velocity of 2.6, according to a report in The Business Recorder. In comparison to Bangladesh (CIC/M2 at 13%), Pakistan’s cash economy is double the size. Even a casual observer can see that the living standards in Pakistan are higher than those in Bangladesh and India.

Back
Top Bottom