What's new

Taliban takeover of Afghanistan: implications & next steps for Pakistan

1. The USSR broke up in 1991 and Najibullah was president till 1992 and so in 1992 I suppose the Russian Communists were too involved in a struggle in Russia to regain power and could not put resources to give refuge to Najibullah.

2. When the Najibullah government fell in 1992 his family was already safe in Delhi but he was still in Afghanistan, waiting for a way out. Please read this article which is an extract from a book and the article is about how the Indian government bungled up in rescuing him. I quote two sections :

Yes, The Afghan fiasco started with the disintegration of USSR.

So basically India did not just bungle up ( if you read from the article's beginning ) it in fact wanted to work with the so-called Mujahideen some of whom had formed Al Qaeda and some would later join the Taliban.
Diplomatically, but as you see above India later tacitly backed the Mujahideen. Unfortunate.

You should understand that India was financially bankrupt then and we were begging IMF and the West for money to bailout. India could not go against the West. They just stayed indifferent and not to annoy the West.

1. I don't think the Soviets actually lost. They I think had their own internal problems.

They had so many internal problems that they were not financially fit and internally secure to fight the war.

Blaming the loss of war on these reasons is plain stupid. Gorbachev and his Perestroika disaster was their own making.

2. We should also include China as one of the patrons of the "Mujahideen".

Of course US, China, Pakistan and Mujahedeen have been in this alliance to destroy Russia and India.

Back
Top Bottom