What's new

Taliban retakes town in Helmand that British soldiers gave their lives defending

pakdefender

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Afghan officials said the Taliban recaptured the district centre of Now Zad over two days last week.

Provincial police chief spokesman Obaidullah Obaid said: “Our security forces are still on the outskirts of the district and fighting with the Taliban.”

Now Zad in Helmand province was the scene of heavy fighting between British troops and the Taliban from 2006 to 2009 before it was handed over to the US Marines.

At one point in 2006 a small unit of Fusiliers was cut off in the town.

Three British troops were killed in Now Zad including Marine Richard Watson, 23, from Caterham in Surrey, killed in December 2006 and Private Chris Gray, 19, from Leicestershire, of the 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian regiment, who was shot by a sniper.

Britain lost 454 personnel in Afghanistan between October 2001 and the withdrawal in December last year.

Coalition forces handed security over to Afghan troops and police whom they trained over several years.

Our withdrawal was inevitably going to lead to the reoccupation of many areas by the Taliban. We are going to see this more and more in the future

Colonel Richard Kemp, former commander for British forces in Afghanistan

Small numbers of British troops are still there, mainly in a training role.

Colonel Richard Kemp, who once commanded British forces in Afghanistan, said: “Many British soldiers lost their lives fighting to keep the Taliban out of Now Zad and other places like it.

“But our withdrawal was inevitably going to lead to the reoccupation of many areas by the Taliban. We are going to see this more and more in the future.

“Since we withdrew we have seen a descent into further violence and we will see more fighting.

“But this does not undermine what we did in Afghanistan. We succeeded in denying Afghanistan as a safe haven for Al Qaeda.

“We still have military capability in Afghanistan, predominantly American.

"It cannot hold swathes of land but it can carry out strikes against terrorist groups that pose a threat to Kabul or the West.”

The Taliban confirmed the capture of Now Zad, saying it had also seized weapons and ammunition.

Its official website said check posts were overrun on the first day and it killed 25 security personnel.

Intelligence sources in Kabul say the Taliban are "highly active" across Helmand and have also taken control of Kajaki and parts of central Helmand including Sangin where British forces suffered heavy losses.

They included Para Cpl Bryan Budd, 29, from Ripon, who won a Victoria Cross.

Taliban retakes town that British soldiers gave their lives defending | World | News | Daily Express

Afghan officials said the Taliban recaptured the district centre of Now Zad over two days last week.

Provincial police chief spokesman Obaidullah Obaid said: “Our security forces are still on the outskirts of the district and fighting with the Taliban.”

Now Zad in Helmand province was the scene of heavy fighting between British troops and the Taliban from 2006 to 2009 before it was handed over to the US Marines.

At one point in 2006 a small unit of Fusiliers was cut off in the town.

Three British troops were killed in Now Zad including Marine Richard Watson, 23, from Caterham in Surrey, killed in December 2006 and Private Chris Gray, 19, from Leicestershire, of the 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian regiment, who was shot by a sniper.

Britain lost 454 personnel in Afghanistan between October 2001 and the withdrawal in December last year.

Coalition forces handed security over to Afghan troops and police whom they trained over several years.

Our withdrawal was inevitably going to lead to the reoccupation of many areas by the Taliban. We are going to see this more and more in the future

Colonel Richard Kemp, former commander for British forces in Afghanistan

Small numbers of British troops are still there, mainly in a training role.

Colonel Richard Kemp, who once commanded British forces in Afghanistan, said: “Many British soldiers lost their lives fighting to keep the Taliban out of Now Zad and other places like it.

“But our withdrawal was inevitably going to lead to the reoccupation of many areas by the Taliban. We are going to see this more and more in the future.

“Since we withdrew we have seen a descent into further violence and we will see more fighting.

“But this does not undermine what we did in Afghanistan. We succeeded in denying Afghanistan as a safe haven for Al Qaeda.

“We still have military capability in Afghanistan, predominantly American.

"It cannot hold swathes of land but it can carry out strikes against terrorist groups that pose a threat to Kabul or the West.”

The Taliban confirmed the capture of Now Zad, saying it had also seized weapons and ammunition.

Its official website said check posts were overrun on the first day and it killed 25 security personnel.

Intelligence sources in Kabul say the Taliban are "highly active" across Helmand and have also taken control of Kajaki and parts of central Helmand including Sangin where British forces suffered heavy losses.

They included Para Cpl Bryan Budd, 29, from Ripon, who won a Victoria Cross.

Taliban retakes town that British soldiers gave their lives defending | World | News | Daily Express
All this going on in their backyard and NDS playing hard to get with Pakistan,well let me wish them good luck with that.If things keep on going like they are now Taliban will be at the doorstep of Kabul within 1 year if not more.

the rule of thumb that one can use is the ISAF found operating in Afghanistan challenging.

Their solders were educated, fit, not drug addicts, had access to modern implements of security.

The only thing going (not trivial by any means is) for the ANSF is that they are on home territory.

This is all Pakistan's fault. Even though this district is far away from Pakistan border but despite that this is Pakistan's fault. Pakistan's evil ISI did some black magic which resulted in this success of Taliban

This is all Pakistan's fault. Even though this district is far away from Pakistan border but despite that this is Pakistan's fault. Pakistan's evil ISI did some black magic which resulted in this success of Taliban
Without ISI's supernatural help Taliban would never have been able to defeat the mighty ANA.

Without ISI's supernatural help Taliban would never have been able to defeat the mighty ANA.

Actually I admit. It was Major Qaisar Bengali of ISI who did some voodoo magic using black owl's blood which resulted in this success of Taliban.

You of course are aware that ISI is helping Taliban. I won't even be surprised if at some point in time we might have SSG operatives working with Taliban.

At times Afghan Taliban have been the proxy armed wing of the ISI. And for what it's worth I am 100% with the Afghan Taliban.

Everybody knows me as a secularist but I would shake the hand of these men. They took on Russia, the British and American. Here they are fighting in what they believe in. Something lot of the "turncoats" we have need to learn. Blood and honour.

And before you judge them don't forget it was men like that who went to Kashmir and freed 1/3.

Last edited:

ISI embedded these operatives with Taliban

famuse-king-baba-noor-shah-bangali-20141008102600.jpg

1.jpg

horoscope-astrology-ads-pakistan-201501081140002724100000.jpg

king-baba-noor-shah-923346465088.jpg

Now waiting for ashraf Ghani to immediately call a press conference and tell Afghanis that Pak Army recaptured these territories and ANA man had fix a match with Pakistan ISI..

ISI embedded these operatives with Taliban

famuse-king-baba-noor-shah-bangali-20141008102600.jpg

1.jpg

horoscope-astrology-ads-pakistan-201501081140002724100000.jpg

king-baba-noor-shah-923346465088.jpg

Exactly. After capturing Now Zad these operatives would now solve major issues like pasand ki shadi of Afghan youth in that district.

You of course are aware that ISI is helping Taliban. I won't even be surprised if at some point in time we might have SSG operatives working with Taliban.

At times Afghan Taliban have been the proxy armed wing of the ISI. And for what it's worth I am 100% with the Afghan Taliban.

Everybody knows me as a secularist but I would shake the hand of these men. They took on Russia, the British and American. Here they are fighting in what they believe in. Something lot of the "turncoats" we have need to learn. Blood and honour.
Sir what help can Pakistan have provided to Taliban that is leading to fall of one afghan territory after another.Its not like we gave them tanks or war planes.The most we do is look the other when we hear or know about the presence of their leadership in Balochistan.Other then that they cant operate training camps here now after Zarb-e-Azb as you know these are usually joint ventures between these groups and Pak Army will not allow training of banned organizations in Pakistan.So what difference does that make on the result coming from the battlefield.
And just to be fair TTP leadership is safe in Afghanistan but the results from our battlefields show a strong contrast to theirs.

Sir what help can Pakistan have provided to Taliban that is leading to fall of one afghan territory after another.Its not like we gave them tanks or war planes.The most we do is look the other when we hear or know about the presence of their leadership in Balochistan.Other then that they cant operate training camps here now after Zarb-e-Azb as you know these are usually joint ventures between these groups and Pak Army will not allow training of banned organizations in Pakistan.So what difference does that make on the result coming from the battlefield.
And just to be fair TTP leadership is safe in Afghanistan but the results from our battlefields show a strong contrast to theirs.

I think you missed the point I was making. I support Afghan Taliban. I want them to win. And I find NOTHING wrong in Pakistan supporting Afghan Taliban. We sold them out in 2001. All countries are supporting some group in Afghanistan. Russians support Uzbeks. Indian support Tajiks etc Pakistan should support the Taliban who are almost all Pashtun. Ghani is just a puppet on a chain. The ANA is nothing but a Northern Alliance in uniform.

I will never forgive Musharaf for selling the Afghan Taliban down the drain in 2001. Did you know we gave away the Taliban ambassador in Islamabad ( Zareef ) to the Americans?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom