What's new

Taliban forces take control of key district in Afghanistan's Helmand province

They are not that serious since they do not provide even the basic arms and even the salaries to the soldiers. Governor is a brave man and he fights Taliban and ISIS with limited resources. Ghani and others are just busy in enjoying their lives in presidential palaces. There are videos on yt to find out facts. Talibans are gaining control day by day because they are motivated people. They are also fighting ISIS which is commendable and are much more effective than the paid ANA. Thus I see Talibans as a much better people to deal with than both (1) Pakphobic NDS ungrateful and disgraceful terrorists who have been supporting Indian RAW terrorists i.e. TTP, and (2) the ISIS. Tablibans enjoy a strong support from majority of Afghans that is the reason for their success and survival against much equipped NATO.

There is no hope since ANA is ineffective despite billions of dollars poured on them by USA; they are corrupt and incompetent (normally these two run hand in hand).

You know all this sitting in the US and commenting on ground realities that you have no knowledge of!

Anybody understand the bread and scope of this? Is it comparable to the Kunduz debacle? I wonder if there are parallels to the recent Kunduz debacle?

Was the governor really unable to reach Ghani or is he just washing his hands clean and shifting the blame on Ghani?

@Sher Malang, @A-Team, is there any truth to this? What's the chatter from inside Afghanistan.

hopefully this is not another Sun Tzu by Ghani sab

I don't know if you know how big Helmand is in terms of geography, its one of the largest provinces in Afghanistan bordering Pakistan with free movement of Talis across the border.

The situation is not alarming, things are different on the ground, yes there is fighting going on but we are talking aboud Helmand which is like the mother ground of Talis, the ANSF has a done a good job of having stalemate there, keeping in mind that at its peak there over 20 thousand NATO forces operating in this province and now the whole responsibility is given to ANSF and I would say its first year of taking a lead and having a stalemate in Helmand is not that bad, next year would be a different case all together in Helmand. Mind you that Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan are relatively safe thanks to the great work done by the ANSF.

Those sitting outside of Afghanistan and commenting on the performance of ANSF should be ashamed themselves of having no knowledge of the ground situation and comparing a nascent force that is operating all over the country without an air force and fighting international terrorists and local traitors on behalf of the region.

As @That Guy stated You should pray that the ANSF wins this one, because if it fails the neighbouring countries will be the next destination for these barbarians.

I've posted links in previous posts -- and I generally post links of scholarly or journalistic quality -- the rule of thumb I use is 40-60% of the citations should be of the quality of a graduate level academic paper.

The UNHCR narrative is will published -- I don't have the time right now to go and search it.

@Samandri's narrative would not qualify as a citable reference but as a layman and casual observer I would admit his opinion for my personal curiosity -- plus his posts are well qualified with sources when asked.
UNHCR you think is an independent source.....if you think so then I guess you spent your life watching cartoon network

You know all this sitting in the US and commenting on ground realities that you have no knowledge of!

I don't know if you know how big Helmand is in terms of geography, its one of the largest provinces in Afghanistan bordering Pakistan with free movement of Talis across the border.

The situation is not alarming, things are different on the ground, yes there is fighting going on but we are talking aboud Helmand which is like the mother ground of Talis, the ANSF has a done a good job of having stalemate there, keeping in mind that at its peak there over 20 thousand NATO forces operating in this province and now the whole responsibility is given to ANSF and I would say its first year of taking a lead and having a stalemate in Helmand is not that bad, next year would be a different case all together in Helmand. Mind you that Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan are relatively safe thanks to the great work done by the ANSF.

Those sitting outside of Afghanistan and commenting on the performance of ANSF should be ashamed themselves of having no knowledge of the ground situation and comparing a nascent force that is operating all over the country without an air force and fighting international terrorists and local traitors on behalf of the region.

As @That Guy stated You should pray that the ANSF wins this one, because if it fails the neighbouring countries will be the next destination for these barbarians.
I may not be as praising as you are, when it comes to the ANSF, but at least we can agree that the taliban can never be allowed to come back to power.

But this should provide him enough reason to fire some rotten eggs from NDS and in his administration as their incapability now speaks volume and any action would totally justified.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. A lot of NDS and even people within his own government, are backed by warlords and opposition leaders. Purging them quickly would be reckless, and create a political crisis, which may see his ouster. It's better if he continues to take it nice and slow.

They are a joke, an army of clowns, if the indians love the afgans so much maybe they can be the new peace keeping force and maintain the status quo.

They are a joke, an army of clowns, if the indians love the afgans so much maybe they can be the new peace keeping force and maintain the status quo.
Don't worry my little brother, India will help Afghanistan anyway possible, just have some patient.
We just started, in future you certainly going to see Afghan airforce beating hell out of Talibans and Afghan military armored division causing havoc in their mind
images

Anybody understand the bread and scope of this? Is it comparable to the Kunduz debacle? I wonder if there are parallels to the recent Kunduz debacle?

Was the governor really unable to reach Ghani or is he just washing his hands clean and shifting the blame on Ghani?

@Sher Malang, @A-Team, is there any truth to this? What's the chatter from inside Afghanistan.

hopefully this is not another Sun Tzu by Ghani sab

No not, the Afghan government refuted any claims of the total fall of the district to the Taliban and promised reinforcements.

Afghanistan Taliban: 'Reinforcements arrive' in Sangin - BBC News

Clear incompetence of Afghan Army and intelligence. They will blame Pakistan but how long this excuse will work ? The weak Afghan administration neither can defeat the Talibans nor they want to talk to them. So the stalemate continues.

True, failure of intellegence when 820 bases for intellegence gatherings were shrinked to merely '20' bases.

Back
Top Bottom