What's new

Taliban Blitzkrieg of 2021 ....

There is an excellent book "The Bear Trap", written by Brigadier Mohammad Yousaf who was was the head of the Afghan Bureau of Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence from 1983 to 1987. The book is not long, but it goes in to depth as to why and how Pakistan conducted the operations. This is a great time to read it, because it really opens up your mind to all the potential possibilities happening in Afghanistan right now.

Let me share with you guys a short couple pages which I feel are very relevant today and enjoyable. This is from a chapter roughly a third of the way in, if anybody wants to quickly jump to it.

Training and Tactics

“To lead an untrained people to war is to throw them away.”
Confucius, Analects, XIII (c.5OO BC)

IN EARLY April, 1989, The Times carried a short article describing the trial of two alleged Pakistani spies in Kabul. One was said to be an Army intelligence sergeant, the other a Special Branch corporal. Both had been captured in Kandahar. They had supposedly confessed to their espionage or sabotage activities under torture, although the report indicated that their confessions were unconvincing and contradictory. Nevertheless, they received 18– and 16-year jail sentences respectively. Such a sentence in the infamous Pol-i-Charki prison outside Kabul would be a living nightmare; for many an execution would be preferable. The Pakistan Embassy had, inevitably, disowned them, while our foreign minister described the affair as a ‘propaganda stunt’.

I have no way of knowing whether the charges were true or false, but I know for certain that we at ISI were sending Pakistani military personnel into Afghanistan from 1981 through to 1986. I know, because it was part of my job to select the individuals, and brief them as to their tasks. It is quite likely that these highly secret activities were resumed after I had left the Army. I must make it clear, however, that the men we sent into Afghanistan were not spies, they were soldiers from the Pakistan Army, serving with the Afghan Bureau of ISI. Their mission was to accompany Mujahideen on special operations, they acted as advisers, assisting the Commander in carrying out his task. This assignment could range from blowing up an oil pipeline or mounting a rocket attack on an airfield to laying an ambush. During my time there were usually two Pakistani teams in Afghanistan at the same time throughout the period May to October. Depending on the distance, a team could remain in the field from one to three months. No team ever knew the other was operating. They were at their peak in 1984, when no less than eleven such teams operated, seven against Kabul, two against Bagram airfield and two around Jalalabad.

All these Pakistanis were volunteers from my staff at ISI. Officers and NCOs were posted to ISI from all branches of the Pakistan Army and General Akhtar sent them to the various Directorates, reserving the best for the Afghan Bureau. They came to me for a 2-3 year tour, and I decided whether they would work on training, operations or logistics. I would always ask if anyone was willing to go inside Afghanistan, and from those who agreed I would carefully select those most suitable for special missions.
Normally a team would consist of an officer (usually a major), a JCO and an NCO, one of whom had to be a Pushtun speaker. I would have to make it absolutely clear to each individual the risks he would be taking. Under no circumstances must he allow himself to be captured, as this would expose the Pakistan government’s clandestine support for the Jehad. Of course we would deny everything, disown them, but they would certainly be subjected to the most vile and prolonged torture. As every man has his breaking point, eventually some information detrimental to our operations would be extracted, with the likelihood of a show trial and much publicity and propaganda. Nobody was encouraged to kill himself to avoid capture, no suicide tablets were issued, as to take one’s own life is forbidden to Muslims. It was repeatedly stressed that they were to escape from tight corners, or as a last resort to die fighting. If this occurred the Mujahideen with him had to do their utmost to retrieve the body. Similarly, if a Pakistani was wounded he had to be got out–somehow.

All my men going into Afghanistan had plenty of time to prepare themselves and the Mujahideen they would be accompanying. Once a mission had been decided, and a Commander selected, then the team would be responsible for the training of that Commander and his Mujahideen, although they never knew their instructors would be going with them until the end of the course. By this time the trainers had grown beards, were dressed as Mujahideen, so that they were indistinguishable from their guerrilla companions.
These officers and NCOs had to live and fight as the Mujahideen, enduring the same privations and hardships. There was none of the military back-up support to feed them or evacuate them if wounded. They became akin to special force advisers. Their duties included giving guidance on all aspects of military operations or duties to the Commander, training the Mujahideen in their operational bases, assisting with defensive measures for the bases, helping the Commander to plan and carry out his special tasks and, if necessary, fighting. Additionally, I relied on them for information as to what was happening in the field. They were a vital part of my intelligence organization, not only on enemy activities, but on the performance of the Mujahideen and their Commanders. I could rely on these men not to exaggerate, not to ignore Mujahideen weaknesses or gaps in their training. The information they brought back was invaluable in planning fresh operations, selecting suitable Commanders, or devising future training programmes. But I had to wait until they returned to Pakistan before any debriefing, as none of these teams ever carried long-range radio sets for fear of enemy interception.

I must admit that when I first took over I was not in favour of Pakistanis being involved in actual operations in Afghanistan. I felt the risk of capture was too high and that, should it happen, the damage it would do to Pakistan, and therefore to the Jehad, outweighed the tactical advantages. I recall several heated discussions with General Akhtar on this, but I was overruled. I had to accept that it was a part of my duty to organize these teams, so I resolved to do so to the utmost of my ability; in fact I set about increasing the number. During all those six years from 1981-86 they performed admirably, nothing ever went seriously wrong, and nobody was captured or killed. These men were a great credit to the Pakistan Army. Although they each received an award, roughly equivalent to the US Silver Star or British Military Cross, for their professionalism and daring, this is the first time their contribution has been made public.

Cheers

View attachment 769741
the Emir of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan .
arguablly the Strongest man on earth because he is a true servant of Allah swt

If he’s arguably the ‘strongest man on earth’ he should immediately use all that strength and Immediately launch an attack against Israel.

Israel will fall incredibly fast like many areas in Afghanistan have.

the Emir of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan .
arguablly the Strongest man on earth because he is a true servant of Allah swt

You are trolling and spamming the forum brother.. Take it easy and otherwise you could be banned.. Delete some of your grab posts.

@waz

Morning All - And yes - the Afghan Goverment did not last the night - i now turn on the TV to hear of the Afghan Goverment having resigned. Wow.

Scary times - thankfully no major fight or bloodshed - that is the only carry away from this. I am sad to see the Taliban take over(i know i am in the minority in this forum ). I had hope Afghanistan returned to its pre-1979 form and learned to live peacefully with its neighbours - but that opportunity windows was destroyed by India using Afghanistan as a terrorist base to attack Pakistan, and therefore the entire experiment failed.

India is responsible for the fall of Afghanistan - hope the Americans come to realise this.

Had the Afghan goverment not listened to India - then they would still be in power today and tomorrow.

Had the Afghan Goverment not adopted an Indian inspired anti-Pakistan approach, and allowed its terrority to host indian RAW assets used to attack Pakistan, then all of this may not have come to past. Truly.

As to why the ANA folded like this and the Afghan Goverment failed in such a manner will be debated for decades now. Decades .... truly shocking failure. Has Afghan culture become so broken that it cannot now be fixed?

I hope now that the Taliban can be convinced to take back the millions and millions of their refugees in Pakistan, back to Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Taliban has not done any looting or stealing

Very gallant people

and they never hit the retreating forces

In General Dostums house they sat and ate peacefully

no stealing

which is why no one can stand in front of these people

Taliban has not done any looting or stealing

Very gallant people

and they never hit the retreating forces

In General Dostums house they sat and ate peacefully

no stealing

which is why no one can stand in front of these people

I agree - I am glad there has been limited bloodshed. Lets see what the future holds and the direction things will now go in.

If he’s arguably the ‘strongest man on earth’ he should immediately use all that strength and Immediately launch an attack against Israel.

Israel will fall incredibly fast like many areas in Afghanistan have.
We dont know if he can beat Isreal. But we have witnessed today usa is running tail between their legs..

We dont know if he can beat Isreal. But we have witnessed today usa is running tail between their legs..

And notice how when the US leaves, Afghanistan falls and falls quickly. All that needs to be said. Click!

Incase anyone is in interested in knowing what all Taliban have captured and what all hopefully Pakistan military takes away from them and starts to study and re-engineer them ASAP (Hopefully)

Incase anyone is in interested in knowing what all Taliban have captured and what all hopefully Pakistan military takes away from them and starts to study and re-engineer them ASAP (Hopefully)
Any word on aircraft?

Any word on aircraft?
Apparently those are mentioned in it. The list contains each and every MRAP, scan eagle, black hawk, humvee and so on
Edit: With Pics and information regarding each item, if it is destroyed, damaged or captured by Taliban

Apparently those are mentioned in it. The list contains each and every MRAP, scan eagle, black hawk, humvee and so on
Edit: With Pics and information regarding each item, if it is destroyed, damaged or captured by Taliban

it appears also a large number of the MD530, and A-29 went to the Central Asia nations or at least tried to.

someone should do satellite passes over the Panjshir and northern Afghanistan to find out if they are still in the country

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom