What's new

Taiwanese general detained on spy charges

Nomenclature

Reaction score
Taiwanese general detained on spy charges

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- Taiwan has detained a major general on charges of providing classified military information to rival China, the highest-ranking officer involved in alleged espionage in decades.

Lo Hsieh-che was recruited by the Chinese as a spy in 2004 when he was a military attache based overseas, Defense Ministry spokesman Yu Sy-tue said Wednesday. He declined to be specific, but local media said Lo was then based in the U.S.

The military launched an investigation on Lo last year when he headed the army command's communications and information office, Yu said. Lo returned to Taiwan in 2006 and was promoted to the rank of major general two years later, Yu added.

Yu declined to comment on media reports that Lo had provided critical information about various military communication networks, including one Taiwan established with U.S. assistance.

Lo was the most senior officer being accused of spying since the 1960s when a vice defense minister was arrested amid an islandwide crackdown on Communist spies.

Opposition lawmakers said the late detection of Lo's alleged connection with China has revealed a security loophole despite the military's repeated pledge not to let down its guard against the mainland's Communist government.

The case signals that China may have intensified its espionage despite the recent reconciliation between the once-bitter rivals, they warned.

Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949. China claims the self-rule island part of its own territory, and both sides have since been engaged in espionage against each other.

Since taking office in 2008, Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou has sought to engage China economically, efforts that have helped reduce tensions to the lowest point in decades.

WaPo didn't mention it but Taiwanese media are reporting Gen Lo may have leaked specs of a sophisticated C4ISR system U.S designed for Taiwanese military.

It can said that the CCP spy network crippled the KMT in 1947-49 civil war. I wonder, how big a factor an extensive spy/intelligence network would play in a war across the straits.

Many Taiwan military officers associated with the Chinese government.
That is not news. The Chinese Government even know what kind of underwear is Ma Ying-jeou to wear every day.

spying is normal between two countries. i am sure even taiwan has some disgruntled chineese on their side.

@card sharp: i totally agree spying does play an important role in any warfare. for example a Former R&AW operative Mr raman has clearly stated in his book "The Kaoboys of RAW" that there was a indian mole present in pakistan during 1971 war who gave us info regarding exact date of pakistani airstrike. the info was passed to airforce so wen pakistani carried out the strike it was not as effective.

Victory goes to those who knew themselves and their enemies.

Spying is common but the stake is exceptional high in this case.

The general in question was in charge of Taiwanese army's electronic communications, specifically the $1.7 billion '博勝案' C4ISR system U.S. developed for all three branches of Taiwanese military. The system is also integrated with U.S command and communication systems in the region.

This is going to be interesting.

Roc's doom????
It is none of my business,I am in Wuhan now,the ml missles have no threaten to me.

taiwan is not country while China is.

spying is normal between two countries. i am sure even taiwan has some disgruntled chineese on their side.

@card sharp: i totally agree spying does play an important role in any warfare. for example a Former R&AW operative Mr raman has clearly stated in his book "The Kaoboys of RAW" that there was a indian mole present in pakistan during 1971 war who gave us info regarding exact date of pakistani airstrike. the info was passed to airforce so wen pakistani carried out the strike it was not as effective.

Now is engaged in the espionage activity in China Taiwan to be most, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore these countries

i think i've said this before, the place is just crawling with spies, please buy some f-22's

Back
Top Bottom