What's new

Tainted US Melons kill 16 in listeria outbreak

NeutralCitizen

Reaction score
At least 13 deaths and 72 illnesses have been linked to a listeriosis outbreak from fruit in the US state of Colorado, health officials say.

Three more deaths could be related to the contaminated cantaloupe melons.

Eighteen states have reported infections from one of the four strains of listeria involved.

Of 13 confirmed deaths, four were in New Mexico, two in Colorado, two in Texas and one each in Kansas, Nebraska, Maryland, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Listeria infections have been reported from California to Virginia, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in an update.

Pregnant women vulnerable

Investigators are trying to establish if three deaths in New Mexico, Kansas and Wyoming are linked to the tainted fruit.

The CDC warned the number of incidents was likely to grow, since symptoms can take four weeks or more to appear.

"That long incubation period is a real problem," Dr Robert Tauxe of the CDC said.

"People who ate a contaminated food two weeks ago or even a week ago could still be falling sick weeks later."

The source of the outbreak has been traced to cantaloupes grown at Jensen Farms in Granada, Colorado.

Earlier this month, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) confirmed it had found the bacterial strain Listeria monocytogenes in melon samples from Jensen Farms.

In response, the company issued a recall in mid-September of its Rocky Ford-brand cantaloupes.

Jensen Farms distributed the melon brand to at least 17 states between the end of July and September.

The company said in a statement said it was fully co-operating with efforts to contain the outbreak.

The FDA is investigating how the contamination could have happened.

The elderly, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems are most vulnerable to ill effects from listeria.

Listeria bacteria can grow at room temperature and even refrigerator temperatures.

Officials have advised that all potentially contaminated produce be thrown away immediately, and that any surfaces it may have touched be sanitised.

The toll has surpassed the number of deaths - nine - that was linked to an outbreak of salmonella in peanuts almost three years ago.

In 1988, 21 people died in a listeria outbreak from contaminated hot dogs, while in 1985, 52 deaths were linked to listeria contamination in Mexican-style soft cheese.

The CDC says around 800 listeria cases are reported in the US each year.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

WTF ??? seriously I have these on my kitchen counter right now and after reading the article, feeling sick to my stomach, I will be throwing them all out. RIP to all 16 people.........

What's wrong with human foods right now?

It is so scary that we don't even know what we are eating. :sick:

I have these on my kitchen counter right now and after reading the article, feeling sick to my stomach, I will be throwing them all out. RIP to all 16 people.........

I have these on my kitchen counter right now and after reading the article, feeling sick to my stomach, I will be throwing them all out. RIP to all 16 people.........

At least China's exploding watermelons don't kill people, yet it got a highlighted coverage by the western media.

Meanwhile they are mute about this? Typical double standard hypocrisy from the western media. :tdown:

At least China's exploding watermelons don't kill people, yet it got a highlighted coverage by the western media.

Meanwhile, they are mute about this? Typical double standard hypocrisy from the western media.

Agreed, lol exploding melons in china ? I might look that up, however similar incidents have been occurring in peanuts, tomato's and other foods it's becoming more frequent I suggest we all be more careful on what we eat.

We should ban dangerous mad cow meat and killer melons from dangerous unsafe USA.

Made in USA is the byword for cheap, shoddy sh!t product quality.

I will take pictures of some notebooks I bought a few days ago. They were made by same company. 1 was Made in India, 2 were Made in USA, and I have to say, the Made in India one is PERFECT quality, and Made in USA is sh!t.

PHP:

Meanwhile they are mute about this? Typical double standard hypocrisy from the western media. :tdown:

What the hell are you talking about, its front page news! actually make sure what you type is at least minimally based on fact before you leap on the typical anti-american bandwagon.

We should ban dangerous mad cow meat and killer melons from dangerous unsafe USA.

Made in USA is the byword...random blather

If the CCP banned those many Chinese would starve due to lack of food and rising food prices.

Basically China has little choice but to Deal With It :oops:

Also, there's a bit of a difference between accidental listeria contamination and intentional melamine poisoning by greedy Chinese merchants.

s*** happens, food gets contaminated once in a while. German sprouts, anybody?

Back
Top Bottom