What's new

Swedish Defence Minister wants More Gripens to Counter Russia

it didn't help turkey much as the War we fought the Russian because Gustav III want to divert the domestic problem against a foreign entity. But that did not do too much good on him anyway.

And we are weary about NATO, we always treated NATO with suspicion. Not sure if they would help out if we need them with the Ryssland
You are a Western country,in the heartland of Europe,NATO would be forced to help you(even if they didnt want to).
The fear of Russia coming closer to Germany,France,GB etc would be unthinkable.

GB and Geermany maybe, but I doubt Sweden and Finland is on their map.

@Mighty Caty Your an Norse woman :O? How on Earth did you end up on this site? Do you have blonde hair blue eye :D

My eyes are Green, despite what now made famous "Nordic race" or "Aryan Race" claim, most Swede descents from Dalarna have green eyes...

And I was involved because my husband is involved in this site.

Russia has zero interest in capturing and occupying western European countries. They need that like they need a hole in their head. I think all this fear mongering is used by the right wingers to get the toys they need and to justify their Position.

Russia has zero interest in capturing and occupying western European countries. They need that like they need a hole in their head. I think all this fear mongering is used by the right wingers to get the toys they need and to justify their Position.

Well, most likely you did not (May be never) lived in Europe.

But Russia pretty much still wanted to control Baltics states. Many war the Russia fought is on the golden triangle (Poland-Ukraine-Lithuania) it was like this since 1700....We (Northern/Western European) have major war with Russia in every 100 years since 1500...So you tell me is this is fear mongering??

Well, most likely you did not (May be never) lived in Europe.

But Russia pretty much still wanted to control Baltics states. Many war the Russia fought is on the golden triangle (Poland-Ukraine-Lithuania) it was like this since 1700....We (Northern/Western European) have major war with Russia in every 100 years since 1500...So you tell me is this is fear mongering??

First of all, I don't know if you noticed but this is NOT 1500, this is the 21st Century.

Secondly Poland , Ukraine and Lithuania are not Western Europe by any stretch of imagination.

Thirdly , by invading Western Europe , Russia knows well that it would be committing Suicide and Russians are not that stupid.

First of all, I don't know if you noticed but this is NOT 1500, this is the 21st Century.

Secondly Poland , Ukraine and Lithuania are not Western Europe by any stretch of imagination.

Thirdly , by invading Western Europe , Russia knows well that it would be committing Suicide and Russians are not that stupid.

First, I said, Major war since 1500, I did not say we are living in 1500, the last war (Actual war, not cold war) we fought the Russia is 1941 war in Finland, before that another Finnish war in 1808, before that the great Northern war of 1700, before that Russo-Swedish war in 1656 and before that is Livonian War in 1558 and before that another Russo-Swedish war in 1496

Secondly I did not just say Western Europe, i said (Western and Northern Europe) Baltics states are considered Northern Europe, sometime you can even count Finland as Baltic states.

Thirdly, most of the war the Russian Fought are seemingly committing suicide, a more famous example is the great northern war, when they are up against 3 great empire of the time almost alone, Britain, Ottoman and Swedish Empire. That does not stop the Russian from gaining Latvia and Livonia from that war.

First, I said, Major war since 1500, I did not say we are living in 1500, the last war (Actual war, not cold war) we fought the Russia is 1941 war in Finland, before that another Finnish war in 1808, before that the great Northern war of 1700, before that Russo-Swedish war in 1656 and before that is Livonian War in 1558 and before that another Russo-Swedish war in 1496

Secondly I did not just say Western Europe, i said (Western and Northern Europe) Baltics states are considered Northern Europe, sometime you can even count Finland as Baltic states.

Thirdly, most of the war the Russian Fought are seemingly committing suicide, a more famous example is the great northern war, when they are up against 3 great empire of the time almost alone, Britain, Ottoman and Swedish Empire. That does not stop the Russian from gaining Latvia and Livonia from that war.

What you are saying is true except for the fact that you are not taking into account the fact that Russia is NO SOVIET UNION.

There is a monumental change of PARADIGM here that escaped your analysis.

Which means that all the past examples you are quoting are irrelevant because this is a whole new Country.

All Russians that were born after 1990 have been raised in a Capitalist society and they view themselves as modern day Europeans. They take pride in being RUSSIANS and will not sit idly by with the West kicking them around anymore. That is precisely why Putin's " Push Back " has made him a hero in the eyes of Russians.

I don't see the make up of new Russians as land hungry occupiers because they already have enough land that covers 11 time zones ( World's largest contiguous land mass owned by any Nation on the Planet Earth ).

So please calm your fears.

What you are saying is true except for the fact that you are not taking into account the fact that Russia is NO SOVIET UNION.

Which means that all the past examples you are quoting are irrelevant because this is a whole new Country.

All Russians that were born after 1990 have been raised in a Capitalist society and they view themselves as modern day Europeans. They take pride in being RUSSIANS and will not sit idly by with the West kicking them around anymore. That is precisely why Putin's " Push Back " has made him a hero in the eyes of Russians.

I don't see the make up of new Russians as land hungry occupiers because they already have enough land that covers 11 time zones ( World's largest contiguous land mass owned by any Nation on the Planet Earth ).

It doesn't matter if Russia isn't the SU anymore,their policies are the same.They are the same even with the ones of Tsarist Russia.For more than 400 years Russia's policies are the following :becoming the hegemon in Central Europe(What you see as EE is actually Central Europe,EE is Russia entirely-look at the maps) ,throughout proxies gain access to the Mediteranean Sea ,conquer the Bosforus and turn the Baltic/Black seas in russian lakes.

Russia doesn't want the land per say,Russia wants the hegemony,Finland,Moldova,Ukraine,Belarus and the Baltics may be engulfed altogether but the rest(Sweden,Poland,Czech Republic,Slovakia,Romania,the Balkans entirely) are envisioned as satellites.

As I said, for the past 600 years, Russia have at least 1 major war with us and rest of Europe, and in those 600 years, only 70 of those Russia existed as Soviet Union.

Russia is very aggressive country long before it exists as Soviet Union Name may have change but Russian stays the same.

And with the current ongoing land grabbing campaign happening in Ukraine, you truly think Russian of today is no threat?
If they can claim Russian speaking people in Ukraine should belong to Russia, then where would the boundary goes as all of us speak a form of Russian as the Russian Empire in 1700 go all the way touching France in West and Sweden in North

You would have been better off joining NATO than.
Our armed forces are already streched to the limit. Can't afford to split resources to defend Central/Southern Europe as well :coffee:.

Defence Minister Calls for More JAS Gripen to Counter Russian Threat

Sweden’s Defense Minister Karin Enstrom says the military should get a total of 70 new JAS Gripen combat aircraft, ten more than Parliament had earlier decided.

Enstrom’s comments came in the wake of the crisis in Ukraine and also of widely publicized Russian military flight incidents last year, when Moscow attack aircraft flew practice missions over Sweden.

Those flights and the ongoing insecurity in Ukraine has alarmed Swedish officials.

Russia’s actions in and around Ukraine has led to uncertainty in Europe. What happened in the past has made it really necessary to strengthen Sweden’s defense,” Enstrom told the Swedish daily newspaper, Dagens Nyheter.

Parliament had already agreed to purchase 60 Jas Gripen’s, which are made and designed by Saab AB, but Enstrom believes that 10 more should be bought.

Any purchase would be preceded by proper procurement and pricing protocols to ensure fairness and transparency, she said.

Read more: Defense Minister Calls for More JAS Gripen to Counter Russian Threat | Aviation & Air Force News at DefenceTalk

They were not flying "over" Sweden.
They were making practice attack runs over the Baltic Sea, but only on international water.

A more important decision, was to drop the idea of cannibalizing Gripen C/Ds
to build the Gripen NG. This means that there are more aircraft available
to lease to potential buyers like Brazil, Switzerland etc.

In a hot conflict between Russia and NATO, the Baltic fleet is holed up in St Petersburg,
and the Northern fleet is threatened by Norway.
One would expect a trust into Northern Norway, and then Finland and Sweden are simply in the way.

Just attacking Sweden seems unlikely.

@Mighty Caty Your an Norse woman :O? How on Earth did you end up on this site? Do you have blonde hair blue eye :D
Norse = Norwegian. Norway is not Sweden...

In a hot conflict between Russia and NATO, the Baltic fleet is holed up in St Petersburg,
and the Northern fleet is threatened by Norway.
One would expect a trust into Northern Norway, and then Finland and Sweden are simply in the way.

Just attacking Sweden seems unlikely.

Norse = Norwegian. Norway is not Sweden...

Your get the idea!

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom