What's new

Supreme Court rejects pleas against Hafiz Saeed's release

Going by the decision of the court I would say Pakistan found nothing - isn't that obvious?

Why would he be brought to court if Pakistan found nothing?
People are not prosecuted because "nothing" is found regarding their involvement. It is one thing for the court to determine that the evidence provided was insufficient or inadmissible, it is another thing altogether to state that a man who was brought to trial and where a lower courts decision was appealed had no evidence of any sort against him. If that were the case, then the prosecution and the government that supported the appeal are irresponsible and incompetent. The Judges as far as I know made no adverse comments on either the prosecution or the government for appealing which they would have done if as stated by you there was "nothing" against him.

You are a funny one, getting all worked up over the ban on FB & you tube, yet supporting a man who whatever the courts may decide is certainly not involved only in charity work. Your support to this man seems almost deigned so that you can have the pleasure of sticking a finger in India's eye or maybe showing all the Indians on this forum the proverbial middle finger.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Hafis Saeed is innocent,
Its the guys who create things like Kashmir dispute Plus the injustice done by the UNSC permanent members to meet there narrow interests, which nurture such ideology.
The only way out for India to stop guys like Hafis Saeed from spilling hate against India is to solve the dispute of Kashmir.

These disputes create room for Global Powers to intervene and sniff out there interests.

Why does an innocent man have to be stopped?

nice slap in the face. i especially love the timing, right after we announced talks...no surprises here.

Why would he be brought to court if Pakistan found nothing?
People are not prosecuted because "nothing" is found regarding their involvement.

He was tried under pressure from the US and India, and based on the circumstantial evidence provided by India. I was suggesting that the Pakistani authorities found nothing linking him to the crime, not that there was no evidence at all - obviously the Indians sent some circumstantial evidence in those dossiers, which the GoP put in front of the court.
Your support to this man seems almost deigned so that you can have the pleasure of sticking a finger in India's eye or maybe showing all the Indians on this forum the proverbial middle finger.
Right from the opaque process in the UN to designate HS a terrorist, I have been suspicious of the entire thing, and I do not believe Indian claims nor the decision arrived at by the UNSC without a public and fair trial and the ability of the accused to defence themselves.

nice slap in the face. i especially love the timing, right after we announced talks...no surprises here.

Was the court hearing date changed to accommodate the talks announcement?

If not, then the timing is nothing 'conspiratorial'.

The Supreme Court’s rejection of the government’s appeal against the release of Hafiz Saeed, leader of Jamaatud Dawa/ Lashkar-i-Taiba, from preventive detention is bound to increase international, and especially regional, criticism of the Pakistani state’s tolerance for certain jihadi factions in the country. Yet, while some of the criticism may be justified, focusing just on the person of Hafiz Saeed and the Lashkar-i-Taiba misses the point.

There is a perception that the establishment has no desire to take on Hafiz Saeed, who was formerly detained under the Maintenance of Public Order ordinance, and the Lashkar at a time when it is fighting militancy in areas bordering Afghanistan. Despite the consistent pressure from India that considers Mr Saeed the architect of the Mumbai attacks in 2008, the government’s failure to produce concrete evidence against him led to the Supreme Court’s upholding the Lahore High Court’s instructions to release him from detention.

However, Mr Saeed’s reprieve needs to be seen in a broader perspective. There have been countless cases where those suspected of being involved in terror attacks, be they against government installations or of a sectarian nature, have been let off. A recent example is the acquittal by the Lahore High Court of two men, allegedly belonging to the Lashkar-i-Jhangvi, who were charged with attempting to assassinate former President Musharraf in 2003. In fact, the overall low conviction rate in Pakistan points to severe deficiencies in the investigation and prosecution process.

What evidence do the judges have to declare a person guilty, when even witnesses decide not to testify out of fear for their lives? This must change if crime is to be tackled effectively. In the case of nabbing terrorists, the legal process needs to be even more foolproof. Without a proper legal framework for dealing with terrorists, more often than not the latter will walk free. Unfortunately, the absence of a strong legal system has led to extrajudicial killings by the law-enforcement forces, which flouts all norms and laws of human rights.

It is tragic that even after so many years of fighting militancy, there does not seem to be a cohesive counter-insurgency strategy at a national level. Fire-fighting seems to be the preferred tactic, leading to apprehensions that without a plan to strengthen the civil administration, including the justice system, in areas recovered from the militants, the latter may be tempted to return. With pressure on Pakistan to enter the North Waziristan minefield, it is imperative that military gains are consolidated through political and administrative measures that discourage militancyDAWN.COM | Editorial | Beyond Hafiz Saeed

As the saying goes " Put the telescope in the blind eye " ..

even if we send 10000 dossiers..there would not be enough proof

Put those proof on ur national TV, lets expose us or r u afraid of being exposed urself.

COURT OF LAW IS NOT " STAR PLUS ". :cheers:

I see a lot of advocacy for judiciary now from Pakistani side while the same were said that judiciary are nothing in subcontinents during Kasab's case. Most of the people were advocating their side of (read Conspiracy) theory. Where were your judiciary during Musharraf's regime, whom most of the people feel the best time. The question is of hypocrisy and diplomatic relation. Dossiers may not have sufficient proof as per "Pakistani Judiciary standard" but there could be enough proof for advocating terror against a Nation and supporting such activities. Taking such decision, Pakistan is again spoiling diplomatic relation not for India but West as well.

Was the court hearing date changed to accommodate the talks announcement?

If not, then the timing is nothing 'conspiratorial'.

Maybe not, frankly I feel like we deserved nothing better. Diplomacy has led us nowhere in the last 60 years, and that isn't about to change anytime soon.

I'm sure he'll be thrown in jail the next time one of our cities is attacked. I sincerely hope we use the opportunity to help Pakistan realize that supporting such elements just isn't worth the cost anymore.

Let’s be honest the circumstantial evidence provided cannot pull wool over the eyes of anyone because it doesn’t prove anything other than suggesting further investigation which Pakistani authorities’ did but found no creditable evidence to implicate HS in the terror plot. Hence the court declared him innocent.

India will be attacked again

I hope not but Pakistan is being under constant attack.

Lets see how far plausible deniability gets them the next time around. Pakistan clearly isn't interested in a peaceful resolution to the Kashmir dispute, why else would it keep this guy around?

We all want peaceful resolution of Kashmir dispute but India has to acknowledge that there is a dispute and willing to settle it with respect to the wishes of the people of Kashmir. As for HS , he is entitled to his own opinion, he is not bigger then state of Pakistan or its people.

I am posting my query again. Can someone please answer this:

1) What jurisdiction does a Pakistani Supreme Court have over crimes committed in India?

2) India's contention is that Hafiz Saeed indulged in conspiracy to commit terrorist acts and so on and so forth. Wouldn't prosecuting someone like Maulana Azhar be easier for the same charges? Why go after Hafiz Saeed?

I am posting my query again. Can someone please answer this:

1) What jurisdiction does a Pakistani Supreme Court have over crimes committed in India?

2) India's contention is that Hafiz Saeed indulged in conspiracy to commit terrorist acts and so on and so forth. Wouldn't prosecuting someone like Maulana Azhar be easier for the same charges? Why go after Hafiz Saeed?

Spot on. I have never understood this trial. I don't think that anybody in India believes that Pakistan is serious in going after the 26/11 culprits. I'm not even sure how Pakistan is going about "prosecuting" the suspects. Under what jurisdiction? Can a man who committed murder in the U.S. be prosecuted in Pakistan? This sounds suspiciously like the Taliban justice system. That is what they offered the U.S. after 9/11 and we all know how that turned out. Did not see Pakistani government then demanding proof or even dossiers before they fell in line.

^^Because the US knows how to pull its weight. On the other hand, we haven't been able to decide what plane to buy for over 5 years, procrastinated for 22 years while our artillery became obsolete, let the maoist insurgency grow out of control etc etc.

I mean seriously, what the hell has been going on in India? Had we been in a strong position (economically and militarily) we could have easily deterred Pakistan from supporting Kashmiri insurgents.

That is what they offered the U.S. after 9/11 and we all know how that turned out. Did not see Pakistani government then demanding proof or even dossiers before they fell in line.

And that is one of the reasons Musharraf is as unpopular as Zardari (according to opinion polls). Most Pakistanis never agreed with his decision to just kow tow to the US and suspend proper process and laws.

I meant the Government of Pakistan should put him in detention, indefinite, not the Pakistani Supreme Court.

I am a night school MBA, not a lawyer (New York University Graduate Business School).

My meaning is/was that when an ally, in this case the US, through our intelligence and legal agencies, CIA and FBI, find a person involved in funneling and raising money for al Qaida and the Taliban, that to us is grounds to put him into detention, indefinately.

The approach of the Supreme Court, be it in Pakistan or in the US, is not the subject. But, a quick way to not do what you tell the US and NATO allies, and India regarding Mumbai, you will do is to place the issue where it doesn't belong, before the Pak SC, knowing they will toss it and the terrorist supporter goes back on the streets.

I think this fellow fled the US, be glad to be corrected, and turned up there. US intel found him and asked Pakistan Government to nail him.

I do not "know it all" but there is a clear cut difference of tolerating support of violent terrorism. Both Musharraf and now Zardari were and are less than 100% genuine to our corporate joint Pak/US security needs. vs. fawning over use of terrorists in places like Kashmir, which is not the subject.

Different cultures, in common religious history as all the children of Abraham, which genuine in common religious history is distorted by the terrorists. Etc.

Back
Top Bottom