What's new

Superseded Officers: Handle them with Compassion

There are 2 parts to an APR, one part of it is shown to the officer while the other is not. So chances of such reports going unchallenged are very high.
This has changed from 2014. As per DoPT guidelines, APAR shall be evaluated in a fixed time and then after report is opened, a person is given a months time to represent his case and it is then settled within a fix time schedule.
During representation, a person can actually see where his report has had adverse remarks or grading.
The most detrimental thing that can happen in a person's APAR is if his integrity being doubtful or beyond doubt is not indicated. This essentially means end to any prospects of promotion.

@Oscar

I agree with you wholeheartedly on your assessment of the use that we have made on the sub-continent of our bulging professional talent, not only in the NCO cadres, but also in the JCO cadres.

A young friend of mine, ex-PAF, recounts that at an unnamed Pakistani air base, he saw a USAF Sergeant take control of a flight of war-planes (he refused to specify what they were, but they had flown in from Afghanistan), and handle the ordnance load, checking and calibrating it, then dealing with the aircraft themselves and sending them through a pretty elaborate procedure, without a single officer intervening. As you might imagine, he found it unsettling and asked a Major posted at the base about it. The Major was not very sure what the question was, since the Sergeant was certified to do what he was doing, what was the problem? What supervision did my friend think was required? A little later, he asked the Sergeant himself, and got more or less the same answer: since he was certified, why would he need supervision?

Of course, this was a very technical task, and the man was acting in his technical capacity. But my friend's observation of the USAF was that a huge amount of work got done by the men themselves, with minimal or no 'supervision' by the officers. Our own forces overdo the supervision, if at all it can be called supervision. It usually calls for a brief interaction, on the lines of "Jemadar Sahib, sab kuchh thik thak hai?" "Jee, Sir, sab kuchh thik chal raha hai." "Oh, very well, carry on then." (I must remember they are Naib Subedars now, possibly because of the ambiguity of the social context of the original rank). Given the possibility of training our jawans to western standards of autonomy and independence of action, we might turn out to be mildly over-staffed, and with a little streamlining at field level positions, we might be able to avoid the carnage at the levels of full colonels and brigadiers (I don't know how it is in the Pakistani Army, but in the Indian Army, full colonels have become active roles, and people no longer get promoted direct to Brigadier).

That was a good intervention, as usual, Oscar, and most obliged for the same.

The PA has the both full colonel and direct brig approach .. Depending upon the officers "charge sheet"... The full cols end up on staff duties or paramilitary .. And if they qualify they get promoted or are retired at the FC rank..

But my personal observation is that the promotion system in the PA has been streamlined .. Specially during Kayanis tenure and now Gen Raheels...

I know an officer who got promoted to FC (despite him having done his Psc & NDU courses) but due to a personal problem with a superior officer... The officer was than posted to command an FC outfit .. And became the first FC to be promoted to the rank of Brig (of that FC unit)...... Generally in older times .. Only superseded officers were sent to command Paramilitaries etc.. Now that trend is changing..

As per DoPT guidelines, APAR shall be evaluated in a fixed time and then after report is opened, a person is given a months time to represent his case and it is then settled within a fix time schedule.
During representation, a person can actually see where his report has had adverse remarks or grading.
Anant, as far as I understood @hinduguy meant if the ACR could be challenged in the court of law.
Theoretically- YES!
Its possible.
But this wretched , so called Democracy led by corrupt power brokers have made sure that as a member of the Armed Forces, you cannot approach a normal Court & the approach has been restricted to AFT - Armed Forces Tribunal - which is normally manned by a jaded Judge who has a visceral liking for service / ex service personnel.
In theory & practice you can never approach the Supreme Court.
I will dig deeper into this.

Anant, as far as I understood @hinduguy meant if the ACR could be challenged in the court of law.
Theoretically- YES!
Its possible.
But this wretched , so called Democracy led by corrupt power brokers have made sure that as a member of the Armed Forces, you cannot approach a normal Court & the approach has been restricted to AFT - Armed Forces Tribunal - which is normally manned by a jaded Judge who has a visceral liking for service / ex service personnel.
I'm not sure of legal angle, but there is an appellate body called Central Administrative Tribunal which handles such matters if internal setup of an organization fails to sort out matter.
Courts have been approached but usually challenging the procedure rather than handling of specific case outcome.

Theoretically- YES!
Its possible.
what I meant was, I am okey if negative input is taken into account while giving promotion, as long as there is a provision to challege it. It seems there is, so I am ok with it.
I am against good remark by senior being used to give promotion, medals and cash prizes are ok. Positive remarks are not challenged by anybody because others dont know about it, and the person is who benefits wont challenge it. This means you can favor people to get promotion, which I am against. Seniority is tried and tested and easily measured.

btw, armed forces are much more corrupt than our politician... one is visible, other is not.

Last edited:
btw, armed forces are much more corrupt than our politician
No way.

Corruption happens at a much more smaller level, and is usually limited to the upper strata of the forces.

Positive remarks are not challenged by anybody because others dont know about it, and the person is who benefits wont challenge it. This means you can favor people to get promotion, which I am against. Seniority is tried and tested and easily measured.
well....the +ve ratings on this forum 're an example. :)

No way.

Corruption happens at a much more smaller level, and is usually limited to the upper strata of the forces.

well....the +ve ratings on this forum 're an example. :)
others dont have opportunity to be corrupt.. they are as corruptible as politicians... worst still most of army dealings are in secrecy, unlike politicians who are always in public limelight.
I think our politicians are way better than the people they serve, most middle class people are hypocrites, they want favors from politicians, do corruption themselves, but point at politicians and say 'dekho desh ko kha gaya'.

I think our politicians are way better than the people they serve, most middle class people are hypocrites, they want favors from politicians, do corruption themselves, but point at politicians and say 'dekho desh ko kha gaya'.
So who came first? the egg or the chicken?
I am not banging my head against a wall.
But let me make this clear, that ppl get attracted to the ease of doing business. Red tapeism in India, is the biggest hurdle in the country's progress.

P.S The other solution is to take the Pakistan Army approach and get the IA into Business and maybe a coup or two?
That way all the superseded officers can be "posted" after retirement into ..say a steel mill, fertilizer plant, toffee factory.. or manage places like Bhatinda's water works.

Well.. well..

It is truly a sad spectacle to see Officers fall by the wayside . Often its not because they were ' fixed' as one expects to have happened.

Its more because there are simply no vacancies to move up thanks to the pyramidal structure.

Back
Top Bottom