Sukhoi tests new fighter

Zabaniyah

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
by Staff Writers
Moscow (UPI) Jan 19, 2012

Russian aircraft manufacturer Sukhoi has flight tested its Serial Three Su-35S Flanker-E multipurpose jet fighter for the first time.

su-35s-flanker-e-lg.jpg

During the test Tuesday, which lasted more than two hours, the aircraft's propulsion and control systems were put through their paces and "proved to be flawless," the company said.

Additional details on the initial flight test have not been disclosed.

The Su-35S is based on the earlier Su-27 but with an improved airframe, two central digital computers, advanced avionics and new radar with phased array antennas.

The closest competitor aircraft to the Su-27, which was introduced into service in 1988, is the U.S. F-15 Eagle.

With increased fuel capacity, the range of the Su-35S is more than 2,200 miles.

The maximum speed at altitude is about 1,400 mph. Its ceiling is 59,000 feet.

Sukhoi said the Su-35S can detect aircraft out to a range of nearly 250 miles, farther than that of other combat aircraft.

The Generation 4++ fighter's radar can reportedly track simultaneously 30 aerial targets and engage eight as well as track four ground targets and engage two.

Weaponry carried by the Su-35 include a 30mm cannon, laser-guided and unguided bombs, anti-radar missiles, anti-aircraft missiles and missiles for use against maritime targets.

With reduced protruding sensors and application to the fuselage of special coatings, the Flanker-E has a reduced radar signature.

The first two Su-35S planes (Serial One and Serial Two) were delivered to a Russian government testing center in August and have already performed more than 400 test flights.

The testing has involved propulsion, aircraft maneuverability, stability and control, as well as functioning of the aircraft navigation system.

Sukhoi projects the service life of the aircraft as 6,000 flight hours and a planned operational life of 30 years.

Potential export customers of the SU-35 aircraft are said to include China, India, Malaysia, Brazil and Indonesia.

Source: Sukhoi tests new fighter

Wonder what the difference is between this and the 35BM??

nice i think qaddafi was intreasted in it but sad he is dead

What's even more sad was that he was also interested in the Rafale.
Libya Seeking Arms Deals

I mean all he got was a 'live demonstration' in the end :rofl:

Wonder what the difference is between this and the 35BM??

The weapons it fires. General loadout prior to the 'S' variant:
Su-35-KNAAPO-Brochure-Loadouts-2008.png

It is stated that the the S variant can fire the RVV-SD BVR missile, which is basically an extended range of the R-77. If I am not mistaken, the PAK FA was the only application for the RVV-SD. Now, the SU-35S is integrated such that it can fire it.

RVV-SD-VVK-1S.jpg

RVV-SD:
http://www.deagel.com/Air-to-Air-Missiles/RVV-SD_a001032004.aspx

Another new application is the RVV-MD, which is an improved version of the short-range A2A R-73/74. It has better range and more resistant to jamming.

RVV-MD-VVK-1S.jpg

Also, was solely intended for the PAK FA if my source is correct:
http://www.deagel.com/Air-to-Air-Missiles/RVV-MD_a001033002.aspx

Now applied for the SU-35S.

Finally, the SU-35S has a very modern, easy-to-use and ergonomic cockpit.
Su-35-1-Cockpit-1S.jpg

It's not like everything is scattered and messy as seen in many past Soviet-era aircraft.

This is a bad, bad boy.

Source: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Su-35S-Flanker.html

Sukhoi makes some very nice aircraft. Their airframes are as good as anything from the West short of the F-22 or F-35 series.

Areas of concern for me (if I were head of State of some nation):

- Engine power and reliability? Maintainability?
- Sensor suite. Just how good is their AESA systems? Robust and resistant to ECM?
- The big one. Missiles. U.S. missiles have a proven track record of excellence. Good missiles are extraordinarily hard to make. All of the cool airframes and engines in the world are useless if the radar and weapons are not up to speed.

Chogy is not possible to make a air to air missiles that has speacial sensors that makes it copy the enemies fighter jets movement, kinda of like however the enemies plane move the missile will do the same.

Chogy is not possible to make a air to air missiles that has speacial sensors that makes it copy the enemies fighter jets movement, kinda of like however the enemies plane move the missile will do the same.

Missile flight mechanics are hard to describe over the internet. One thing they are NOT - they aren't like the movies where they chase you around the sky. What they do is this: they take an immediate snapshot of the target, the VECTOR (speed, direction) of the target. The missile knows its own flight properties, so the algorithm goes like this... "I will be able to hit that airplane in 6 seconds at THAT point in the sky" and the missile aims at that location, and flies there. So the missile does not point at the target, it points at that predicted intercept spot. If the target changes its vector - they almost always do - the new intercept point is calculated and the missile alters course. This update is rapid and continuous.

Firing a super long ranged missile - we were always told "The missile might look like it is going wild. It might take a hard turn right or left, up or down, right off the rail. What it's doing is flying to the intercept point. Trust that it's guiding and don't fire a second until you are POSITIVE that the missile has gone stupid."

Thats for the nicely put answer. so I guess its harder than it looks.
so you think my Idea is kind of future weapon stuff?

If I am not misunderstanding, missiles already do what you describe. Every move made by the target results in a counter move by the missile. The missile is picturing a vector pointing out of the target, and given target vector and range, the intercept point can be calculated.

R-77 has lived its life, it's still using that made in 90's seeker technology.

Missile flight mechanics are hard to describe over the internet. One thing they are NOT - they aren't like the movies where they chase you around the sky. What they do is this: they take an immediate snapshot of the target, the VECTOR (speed, direction) of the target. The missile knows its own flight properties, so the algorithm goes like this... "I will be able to hit that airplane in 6 seconds at THAT point in the sky" and the missile aims at that location, and flies there. So the missile does not point at the target, it points at that predicted intercept spot. If the target changes its vector - they almost always do - the new intercept point is calculated and the missile alters course. This update is rapid and continuous.

Firing a super long ranged missile - we were always told "The missile might look like it is going wild. It might take a hard turn right or left, up or down, right off the rail. What it's doing is flying to the intercept point. Trust that it's guiding and don't fire a second until you are POSITIVE that the missile has gone stupid."
If I am not misunderstanding, missiles already do what you describe. Every move made by the target results in a counter move by the missile. The missile is picturing a vector pointing out of the target, and given target vector and range, the intercept point can be calculated.
Looks like this...

comm_line-of-sight.jpg

proportional_guid.jpg

Regardless of whether command line-of-sight or the more sophisticated independent proportional navigation guidance method, the missile always calculate a PREDICTIVE intercept point, even in a tail chase situation. For the tail chase, as long as there is no angular difference, then the predictive intercept point is a null and the missile continues on current course.

Back
Top Bottom