What's new

Success on debut for K-4 undersea launch of missile

So our third strike is up and running finally! congratulations all around.

:woot: i see something hidden about actual range......or may be case of payload variation.
i think its around K-4s max range, and not of variation of payload.
As during the time of trial, news articals not specified the test range which disclosed in this artical.

I think the picture is of Shaurya (land based missile) of the K family and not K-5 SLBM.
yes it is, its mentioned below the image.

Wow...DRDO is showing lots of improvement this days :woot: Anybody please share some videos and pics here :devil:
not available yet...
tried very hard, but no luck:(

Last edited:
:woot: i see something hidden about actual range......or may be case of payload variation.

K4 is derivative from Agni 3 programme and hence the maximum range is around 3500 km ....

I feel DRDO has tried to play down and lay low regarding K4 programme since beginning .

I am not sure why they are being so protective ...even after successful launch .

It's good to hear about formal and forceful declaration of successful launch of k4 because it will laid to the rest all the doubts whatsoever ...

Hopefully when INS Arihant becomes operational in near future ...it will test k4 along with k15 ....

anyway INS Arihant is supposed to go for sea trials with weapons like k15 onboard very soon ...

DRDO did it again . . .:enjoy::enjoy::enjoy:

1379591_588361487887278_1342774114_n.jpg

I read it somewhere K- family of missiles doesn't leave the earth's atmosphere. These are quasi-ballistic missiles and can also be termed as hypersonic cruise missile upto some extent.
Does that mean the range will be even higher if they followed a ballistic path outside the atmosphere? 'Cos of lower drag ..

K4 is derivative from Agni 3 programme and hence the maximum range is around 3500 km ....

I feel DRDO has tried to play down and lay low regarding K4 programme since beginning .

I am not sure why they are being so protective ...even after successful launch .

It's good to hear about formal and forceful declaration of successful launch of k4 because it will laid to the rest all the doubts whatsoever ...

Hopefully when INS Arihant becomes operational in near future ...it will test k4 along with k15 ....

anyway INS Arihant is supposed to go for sea trials with weapons like k15 onboard very soon ...

I would prefer a half dozen nuclear subs loaded with something like the mirved tridents as a devastating third strike. we have a lot more years to go before we achieve that and most likely the goal posts would have changed by the time we get there..

I would prefer a half dozen nuclear subs loaded with something like the mirved tridents as a devastating third strike. we have a lot more years to go before we achieve that and most likely the goal posts would have changed by the time we get there..

Well the submarines with long range nuclear tipped missiles are the crux of the second strike capability ...
It has remained so for last 5 decades ...
Britain has got rid of virtually all of its land based and air based nuclear missiles .
it's only nuclear deterrence lies with Trident missiles carried in its vanguard class submarines .

This goal post will remain in vogue for very long time ...
and India will steadily increase the numbers of nuclear capable nuclear submarines in years to come ....

The work on INS Aridaman will speed up once INS Arihant gets operational .. and so also other Arihant class submarines

Does that mean the range will be even higher if they followed a ballistic path outside the atmosphere? 'Cos of lower drag ..

Ideally yes, but you need to understand that a cruise missile can't be automatically expected to follow a ballistic path. Guidance system, re-entry system, materials & coatings to overcome the reentry heat and other thing need to be redesigned or fitted into.

But important of all K-family of missiles are technically superior than Agni family. K- family of missile are highly maneuverable (three dimension maneuver), are way more stealthier, lighter and very difficult to intercept as it behaves like a cruise missile in its terminal stage.

There are many who claims K-4 to be a derivative of Agni-3, just because of similarity in range , but it is not. K-4 is based on K-family of missiles completely developed by DRDO with its own in-house expertise and is no way linked to Agni family expect few ideal and similar components.

Success on debut for K-4 undersea launch of missile
Published May 8, 2014 | By admin
SOURCE : THE HINDU

Shourya_sept2011590.jpg

FILE PICTURE OF K-15 SLBM

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested an underwater-launched missile called K-4 with a range of about 3,000 km on March 24.

The launch took place from a pontoon submerged more than 30 metres deep in the sea off the Visakhapatnam coast. After a powerful gas generator ejected it from the pontoon submerged in the Bay of Bengal, the K-4 missile rose into the air, took a turn towards the designated target, sped across 3,000 km in the sky and dropped into the Indian Ocean. What has made the DRDO missile technologists happy is that the mission was successful in K-4’s maiden flight. The two-stage missile will carry nuclear warheads, forming the lethal payload of India’s nuclear-powered submarines, which are under construction.

“It was an excellent flight on March 24. The K-4 missile travelled a little more than 3,000 km,” informed sources said. “We will do many more missions to prove the missile’s sub-systems and increase their reliability.”

India is the fifth country in the world to have a missile launched underwater.

The sources described K-4 as “the proud successor” of the K-15 underwater-launched missile, codenamed B-05. Nearly 10 development trials of K-15 missile have already been completed from pontoons submerged in the Bay of Bengal over the past few years.

That's the news I was waiting for!!

Wow...DRDO is showing lots of improvement this days :woot: Anybody please share some videos and pics here :devil:

k_4_submarine_launched_ballistic_missile_by_arkem8-d5lvtow.png

Last edited:
DRDO has achieved and made K4 as a significant and reliable second strike capability for India.... :tup::enjoy::smart:

i remember reading here sometimes back that it was launched a bit over 2000 kms. How did they say 1500 km to just a bit over. Perhaps more official news is required.

Probably in response to all the Agni-5, Agni-3, Astra, Akash, BrahMos, K-4, etc. we've been testing recently,
Pakistan has tested a 290km Ghaznavi missile capable of carrying nookular warheads.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom