What's new

Su-27 Turning Directly In Front Of a B-52

transponder. also i didn't know the US pilots are airliner enthusiasts...

It was flying straight across a warzone in Syria on its trip from Tehran to Beirut. You know the type of place where people get bombed and there's S300's scanning the skies. You guys crazy or something?
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 9.18.46 AM.jpg

Last edited:
On the recklessness and silly action by the Pilot of Su 27 I agree with you. It wasn't needed. Coming on the side of the B52 was enough to show to the Americans that they are watched and any power show by them would be responded by the Russians.

But what I do not understand in your comments is your bias towards USA. By showing this bias, you have lost the force of your argument completely.

Sorry I meant to reply when you quoted my post but got distracted and forgot. I just remembered and searched for this thread so that I can reply.

I'm not sure where you get any "bias" from? You agreed with the same thing I said so where is the bias towards the US?

Why you think the causalities would be mostly on the Russian side!!
You think the Americans are super duper and cannot be touched!!!
Why the situation would be unfavourable for only Russia!!

Typically if you're the instigator of an incident like this that ends up resulting in an accident, it's much more likely that the majority of the international community decides against you and favors the other side. That was the point I was making.

Once again why you think only Su 27 was lucky!! Wasn't B-52 also lucky!!
In a air collision both aircraft could be in danger equally.

If you look at the history of these types of incidents, you'll see that the majority of times where there has been a collision of some type, the larger aircraft such as the B-52 or other bombers or even surveillance aircraft are much more resilient to significant damage that would cause them to crash, unlike the smaller fighters. Fighters, while deadly in their own right when firing missiles from a distance or straffing a line of 50 cal bullets across an airliners fuselage can certainly bring the hurt on any large and slower aircraft. But when a mid air collision occurs, the chances are much greater that the fighter suffers much more than the larger aircraft. For one, the fighter is smaller and so much more of its movable surfaces are exposed than the larger AC. One flap or aileron or radome or wingtip hit could result in a loss of hydraulic power that cripples the aircraft and sends it plummeting to the earth.

This is exactly what happened to the Chinese jet (J-8) a while back in 2001 when it bumped into a US EP-3 Elint and the Chinese jet just went straight down killing the pilot while the EP-3 ended up landing safely at a Chinese airport. It's not going to happen every time, but the odds support the greater chances of worst damage on the smaller fighter jet and that's what I was referring to. And even so, the below paragraph from Wiki about that incident dictates how much damage actually did happen to the EP-3 when the J-8 bumped it in the belly which incidentally appeared to have crushed the glass cockpit and probably killing the unfortunate Chinese pilot who's body was never recovered.

The EP-3 ended up landing at 170 knots (200 mph), with no flaps, no trim, and a damaged left elevator, weighing 108,000 pounds (49,000 kg). Following the collision, the failure of the nose cone had disabled the No. 3 (inner right) engine, and the No. 1 propeller could not be feathered, leading to increased drag on that side. There was no working airspeed indicator or altimeter, and Osborn used full right aileron during the landing.

So you can only imagine if that much damage occurred to the EP-3 and it still was able to land successfully, the fighter jet was hardly that lucky and suffered much worst consequences to the collision and for what? Cheers.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom