What's new

Stricter visa rules to stop illegal foreign workers

Forgot you are Sri Lankan.

Why not now? Australia offers more opportunities than European countries, right?

Very tough on illegal immigration, Especially those arriving on human smuggling boats, Unlike Europe where they’re still Lilly livered on them.. Most of these illegals are economic migrants falsely claiming political asylum.. Aussies over the years have become more vigilant, And won’t accept them especially those leaving Lankan or South Indian shores

Hence the reason i asked the question from the poster.. At most Sri Lankans illegally migrate to Europe and in the past to Australia for better economic prospects

Sri Lankan industrialists were pioneers in establishing the RMG industry in Bangladesh at the start of the 90's because of the civil war in Sri Lanka at the time, Conglomerates like MAS, Brandix and Hemas have large operations in Dhaka and Chitttagong and now it seems companies like Laughs Gas have invested in the power sector as well
I don’t think in Bangladesh’s context when we talk about illegals we don’t mean cheap laborers. Most of these illegal workers are in higher positions getting fat paychecks and avoiding paying taxes. We had an American English Teacher in my school in Dhaka on tourist visa, who was paid 3X what they paid locals (white teacher is a good pr for the school), thankfully he left after 6 months.
This is the kind of practice the govt should not allow, and we also need to get out of the habit of paying foreign officers/CEOs more solely based on their nationality or race.

I do not know why there is a perception that illigal indians work in only in managerial positions, they throng to our agricultural heartland during harvest seasons. These should be checked. They bring in diseases, drugs and crime alongside their more well heeled countrymen.

BD should these check these scum as a matter of priority. They represent security risk and damage social cohesion in BD. BD should in first instance must weed out indians in BD media, private education, telecoms & internet sector alongside agricultural sector.

Next step they must force any bangladeshi owning property india to register and pay taxes on these and make it illigal for any bangladeshi to maintain a personal bank accounts in india.

BD must also close down hundi payment out of BD to india.

These indians are a cancer in the heart of BD and we must expel them.

I don’t think in Bangladesh’s context when we talk about illegals we don’t mean cheap laborers. Most of these illegal workers are in higher positions getting fat paychecks and avoiding paying taxes. We had an American English Teacher in my school in Dhaka on tourist visa, who was paid 3X what they paid locals (white teacher is a good pr for the school), thankfully he left after 6 months.
This is the kind of practice the govt should not allow, and we also need to get out of the habit of paying foreign officers/CEOs more solely based on their nationality or race.

Is there a dearth of top level managerial professionals in Bangladesh or is it just that they prefer overseas executives anyway ? If it’s a FDI from a foreign multinational you’d expect its higher management to be from that specific country but what about Bangladeshi companies .?

Indian CFO at Biman

I think there is a perception issue, a foreign national may be less susceptible to corruptions. I don't know much about the hiring practices of Bangladeshi private companies but I know Biman had a foreign CEO at one point, now we have an Indian CFO at Biman milking the Bangladeshi tax payers for money without adding any value. Also I know some of the 5 star hotels which are partly owned by the government have foreign executives.

Last edited:
Indian CFO at Biman

I think there is a perception issue, a foreign national may be less susceptible to corruptions. I don't know much about the hiring practices of Bangladeshi private companies but I know Biman had a foreign CEO at one point, now we have an Indian CFO at Biman milking the Bangladeshi tax payers for money without adding any value. Also I know some of the 5 star hotels which are partly owned by the government have foreign executives.

Same story everywhere like H1B's.

Talentless dhokeybaaj idiots falsely padding resumes/biodata getting top positions simply because they talk a good game.

Chapabajir khela.

The biggest problem is that Bangladesh hiring managers never verify any claims on a resume. Idiots. The hiring managers should be fired first for hiring these unqualified idiots.

Same story everywhere like H1B's.

Talentless dhokeybaaj idiots falsely padding resumes/biodata getting top positions simply because they talk a good game.

Chapabajir khela.

The biggest problem is that Bangladesh hiring managers never verify any claims on a resume. Idiots. The hiring managers should be fired first for hiring these unqualified idiots.
These guys and their fake resumes with 15 years of IT experience make my blood boil, but sadly I see a lot of Bangladeshis getting into this fraudulent activity, even the smarter ones. The blame is on hiring managers requiring 10+ years of experience when the task can obviously be done by a fresher with only 3 months of training from these fraud indian companies

These guys and their fake resumes with 15 years of IT experience make my blood boil, but sadly I see a lot of Bangladeshis getting into this fraudulent activity, even the smarter ones. The blame is on hiring managers requiring 10+ years of experience when the task can obviously be done by a fresher with only 3 months of training from these fraud indian companies

In Bangladesh there are illegal status Indians in every company running things in high positions, especially multinationals. They are so bold, they bring in more illegal Indian underlings from India because they are in a position to do so - rather than hire local Bangladeshi folks. I am sure there are laws on the books to prefer locals, but since there is no enforcement, the practice goes on unhindered.

The companies that hire these Indians should be fined in the tens of lakhs unless they comply. Meanwhile talented Bangladeshi people have to go to Malaysia or Dubai to find employment.

Could Bangladeshis do this in India? FAT Chance!!

I suggest a couple of things.
  1. If the govt. fails to enforce this, unemployed folks should form vigilante groups to confront Indian folks working corporate jobs locally. Tough times call for tough action.
  2. Ask for Indian employees to carry proof of legal status (such as a work visa). If they can't produce it, then give them the 'damat' treatment. These idiots need to learn some lessons.
If BJP-RSS can get into scare tactics, we can do them one better.

Getting BD work permit is one of the toughest in the world as per my knowledge, i don't know how can it be more tougher. You have to get an invitation from BD chamber of commerce and loads of physical paperworks.

Just to update I have been to more than 42 countries including almost all of Europe and US in WP/BV.

I am in favor of employing foreigners in the textile/ garments sectors of the nationals from both Pakistan and India. It is because our industries need their knowledge and managerial capability in these two sectors.

If this govt is seeking to oust these foreigners by using some mischievous means only to be replaced with our jobless BAL political brats, industries will flop soon.

The Visa matters should be tackled in a way that these important foreign mid-level workers can continuously contribute to BD’s economic growth.

I am in favor of employing foreigners in the textile/ garments sectors of the nationals from both Pakistan and India. It is because our industries need their knowledge and managerial capability in these two sectors.

If this govt is seeking to oust these foreigners by using some mischievous means only to be replaced with our jobless BAL political brats, industries will flop soon.

The Visa matters should be tackled in a way that these important foreign mid-level workers can continuously contribute to BD’s economic growth.

Exactly. If people work and pay taxes, I have nothing against that. But if they are siphoning salaries out of Bangladesh using Hundi and not paying taxes, then that must stop.

I doubt Pakistanis go to Bangladesh for employment but just like Indians Bangladeshi just have to insert Pakistan in every news item to get publicity.
No, Pakistanis come to BD to work in low-level to mid-level managerial posts in the textiles/ garments sector. They have expertise and skills.

I doubt Pakistanis go to Bangladesh for employment but just like Indians Bangladeshi just have to insert Pakistan in every news item to get publicity.
Lots of Pakistani investors in Bangladesh, particularly the garment sector.

No, Pakistanis come to BD to work in low-level to mid-level managerial posts in the textiles/ garments sector. They have expertise and skills.

I have met quite a few mid-management level folks. Culture is very similar so they have no problem acclimating in Dhaka. Language is a small barrier but even that can be overcome quickly.
Lots of Pakistani investors in Bangladesh, particularly the garment sector.

Pakistani investments in Bangladesh are mainly in home and decor textile sector, towels, bedsheets, drapes etc. I don't think I have seen a lot of Pakistani businesses doing apparel here in Bangladesh but I could be wrong. They came over when the electricity supply in Pakistan was not stable. Lower labor cost in Bangladesh was another factor.

Back
Top Bottom