What's new

Stealth ASW Corvette INS Kiltan launched in Kolkata :D

All is well but now it's time for NPOL to develop a range of next generation ULF sonars and do away with these Nagan ATAS and HUMSA which are VLF systems.

It's a nice 'made in India' product. But I have feeling that it has come very late. China is fielding nuclear submarine across Indian ocean region and I doubt P-28 project warships ability to deal with the threat.

It's a nice 'made in India' product. But I have feeling that it has come very late. China is fielding nuclear submarine across Indian ocean region and I doubt P-28 project warships ability to deal with the threat.

Nuclear subs are extremely hard to find anyways.

When did Chinese nuclear submarines enter Indian Ocean?

News ? ... or Bhang of Holi ?

Why should China publish such news?

Besides, they can enter the IOR whenever they want since its not Indian territory.

Besides, they can enter the IOR whenever they want since its not Indian territory.

What makes you think that Nuclear Subs are extremely hard to find? They are as easy or difficult as conventional Subs probably easier to find than AIP subs which are in economical propulsion mode.

About Chinese Nuclear Subs entering the IOR; of course they can come; but firstly they have (for reasons of operational problems ) only been operating in the coastal SCS. Secondly if they enter IOR through either the Sunda Straits or Malacca Straits; they will be tracked. Hence 'no-show' yet in IOR.

What makes you think that Nuclear Subs are extremely hard to find? They are as easy or difficult as conventional Subs probably easier to find than AIP subs which are in economical propulsion mode.

About Chinese Nuclear Subs entering the IOR; of course they can come; but firstly they have (for reasons of operational problems ) only been operating in the coastal SCS. Secondly if they enter IOR through either the Sunda Straits or Malacca Straits; they will be tracked. Hence 'no-show' yet in IOR.

do,teen brahmos to fit kar hi dete:guns:

anyways wht this launched means is it inducted or will go for trails...............INS KAMORTA still not inducted

Great set of pictures @ koovie
I can see how faceted pannels are used on on superstructure to reduce the Radar observability. this seems like a similar design approach to erstwhile F 117 design.

Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)
Sensors and
processing systems:
Revati Central Acquisition Radar
EL/M-2221 STGR fire-control radar
BEL Shikari
BEL RAWL02 (Signaal LW08) antenna communication grid - Gigabit Ethernet-based integrated ship borne data network, with a fiber optic cable backbone running through the vessel
HUMSA (Hull Mounted Sonar Array)
Bomber Electronic warfare (EW) suites - BEL Ajanta
Electronic warfare
& decoys: DESEAVER MK
Armament:
1 X 76.2 mm Oto SRGM
8 x 3M54 Klub
2 x AK-630M CIWS
2 X RBU-6000 (IRL) anti-submarine rocket launcher
16x Barak SAM
2x3 Torpedo tubes
Aircraft carried: 1 Westland Sea King Mk.42B

^^^^^^^^With these specs our corvette may qualify as destroyer for some countries!

ya, its true.. that Iranians will call a ship with these specifications as their sophisticated destroyer.... :cheers: :enjoy:

Chinese submarines in IOR, are you sure brother? i mean won't that kick off a big diplomatic row

Somebody was saying stealth technology from Visby will be incorporated in Kamorta Class Corvettes.

Can someone clarify whether its these(3rd n 4th Ship of Project 28) or Project 28A???

@Abingdonboy @sancho
Not heard anything about this mate.
Not sure about that, cause i didn't heared anything about a JV with the Swedes so far, but maybe Abingdonboy can say more about it.
In general I have some doubts though, since the Visby class was completely aimed on stealth, with only internal weapon carriage and integrated sensors. Indian stealth vessels so far makes more compromises, especially wrt to the sensors.

INS Shivalik:

DSC_3211-748232.jpg

Visby class:
Visby-Class-Corvette_04.jpg

Kamorta class:
20100421_bb7dc3c91a9101bd2bc1gNXpxL1Qx7K3.jpg

A1UsA.jpg

It might be that certain systems are similar, but the stealth design is different.
You're right @sancho to date the IN ships have not taken the "full-stealth" approach of the likes of the Visby and others. But don't forget the IN stealth ships to date have been far larger and far larger (Visby is <700 tonnes, P-28A is >3,000 tonnes and the P-17 are >6,000 tonnes) and far more potent than these "full-stealth" ships. Having said that these were the first stealth ships the IN has ever designed and constructed and they admit there are many areas they can and will improve. As such the P-17A will be far more stealthy with an integrated sensor mast that is far less cluttered and with a flush deck aswell as incorporating plenty of other stealth features.

Unless war has already been declared and the Chinese are victorious there's no way you can say the P-28As are too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mate India is also placing its assets in pacific ocean and south china sea. Neither china is going to attack India nor India to china. so no worries there. Regarding how to detect a nuke sub, I will give all major points which a blue water navy can use.
SOSUS, Magnetic Anomaly Detector (MAD), a passive device, Active and (more commonly) passive infra-red detection and attack sub of same type.
In modern times forward looking infrared (FLIR) detectors have been used to track the large plumes of heat that fast nuclear-powered submarines leave while rising to the surface.

If you ask me then I will say, give me SSN and SOSUS type system in place and your job is done.
But there is one thing which we have to remember that in littoral operation ASW is generally more difficult compared to deep sea operations.

P-28 is just a component of entire sub detection system. Ariel detection is the easiest way to counter these threats. The specialty of this boats lies in its sensor fusion, nothing else. Stealth will give it the power to reduce its own detection. And the much quieter your boats is, in same proportion you will be able to counter subs.

Dude nuc.subs are less stealthy then conventionally powered because it is quietest than nuclear powered but nuclear subs immersion depth is deeper than conventionally powered. so its little quite difficult.And before commenting about chinese nuclear subs please read this.
Modernisation of the PLA(N) Submarine Fleet &ndash; Gaps in the Capability | Asian Defence News Articles | Defence Review Asia

Dude nuc.subs are less stealthy then conventionally powered because it is quietest than nuclear powered but nuclear subs immersion depth is deeper than conventionally powered. so its little quite difficult.And before commenting about chinese nuclear subs please read this.
Modernisation of the PLA(N) Submarine Fleet &#8211; Gaps in the Capability | Asian Defence News Articles | Defence Review Asia

Mate fully agree. And their main advantage against conventional boats is increased speed with time spent underwater. Even AIP equipped subs are able to stay under water for weeks but they loose their prime advantage speed. Except this conventional subs are on per with nuke subs(obviously in theory.)

Back
Top Bottom