What's new

State of Taliban aggression

The problem is that their skill sets are acquired and refined through institutions created by the state for a specific purpose, which is what makes them responsible despite current public proclamations of disownment (which for the current government are probably genuine). The point however is that this is a one way traffic with Pakistan as the origin and there will be no definitive resolution to this problem until this fact is internalized (which at this point is my only interest).

The damage has already been done and it is now a gift that keeps on giving.

Energon

I think you may wish to study insurgency further - you will note that the External actor is a "necessary" condition -- However; were you point that Pakistani analysts had been exceptionally tolerant towards the Talib movement, that Pakistani analysts continue to misjudge and mischaracterize the Talib movement, I think few will not find merit in such a suggestion; were you to go further and suggest that such analysis was colored by what seem to observers to be deeply sympathetic hues, again, there will be few who will not find merit in such a suggestion.

The problem is that their skill sets are acquired and refined through institutions created by the state for a specific purpose,

'Were acquired' - the operative word here is 'were' not 'are'. The reference to Frankenstein implies that understanding. Were you to merely argue what Muse did above, you would find a lot more who would agree with your position of a Pakistan created Frankenstein.

Instead you peddle something akin to the 'CIA did 911' conspiracy theory, since any skills Pakistani institutions would need to train the militants in when carrying out Mumbai, woudl also need to be provided when militants carry out these sophisticated attacks in Pakistan.

The militants have shown exceptional skills, tactics and planning in multiple operations in Pakistan. Now I can buy the argument that these skills are a result of the services rendered by the CIA and ISI to the Mujahideen during the Afghan Jihad, and later rendered by the ISI/PA to other groups for the Kashmir freedom struggle. But when the argument is made that the terrorists in Mumbai could only have done what they did through 'institutional support from Pakistan', then that is ludicrous.

@ Energon:
The problem is that their skill sets are acquired and refined through institutions created by the state for a specific purpose, which is what makes them responsible despite current public proclamations of disownment (which for the current government are probably genuine). The point however is that this is a one way traffic with Pakistan as the origin and there will be no definitive resolution to this problem until this fact is internalized (which at this point is my only interest).

The damage has already been done and it is now a gift that keeps on giving.

Agreed though I am not referring to the Mumbai attacks here specifically. While the support for such elements may no longer be top-down or well-publicised, the fact remains that there are Taliban sympathizers in the PA and the ISI. Maj-General Faisal Alvi’s murder by a former major Ashiq Hussain is an example of this.

Back
Top Bottom