What's new

Sri Lankan Infrastructure and development thread (rail,road,skyscrapers etc etc)

2a18442aaa1d75b80cbe916959b49973.jpg

I know it's not a comparison :-) but not even close brah.. Transportation, inner city roads in general are atrocious, Even considering South Asian standards, Infrastructure in general are satisfactory but nowhere close to South East Asia let alone elsewhere

Well gotta start somewhere. Downtown core is good as place as any. If you look at Singapore they started around the port area as well (urban improvement) and expanded over time. In fact the old pics of Singapore remind me of lot of places in subcontinent today.

SL had a war to contend with for so long so now hopefully there will be a momentum it has largely missed so far.

One thing always impress me about Sri Lanka is how they manage to keep their areas clean unlike other South Asians.

There is culture like that in parts of South India too. People that are %wise very reliant on foreign/regional trade/commerce historically will keep things neat inherently because its good business sense fundamentally.

Can drive from southern tip of India all the way up Kerala and Karnataka coast even up to Bombay through Goa, and things are quite neat and clean overall. Drive up east coast its not that bad either, but it depends on route.

One thing always impress me about Sri Lanka is how they manage to keep their areas clean unlike other South Asians.
dawg you havent been to sri lanka if you think that shit hole is clean

Compared to India, SL is actually not bad. The people are cleaner than Indians.
unfortunately compared to india papua new guinea is not bad either. it's a bar set too low that you can walk all over it. that's not the standards that we should strive for

By South Asian standards, Homie.

An Indian perspective on that..

Tourists make a beeline for Sri Lanka

Gayatri Rangachari Shah

JANUARY 05, 2018 14:58 IST
UPDATED: JANUARY 05, 2018 19:25 IST
  • The island nation is increasingly becoming a preferred getaway — and the spotless streets could be one reason why
    It’s the dawn of a new year but I long to go back to the final vestiges of 2017, when, relaxing on the glorious beaches of southern Sri Lanka, reality was so far away. This year, it seems like an enormous, well-heeled Indian contingent is vacationing in Sri Lanka. From press accounts, even Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh were there to snorkel. The Indian Ocean doesn’t offer the calmest of waters, of course, but the sun sizzles and it helps that the Sri Lankan currency is so much weaker than ours.

Our island neighbour is clearly experiencing a tourism boom. My Hong Kong Chinese friends were there en famille, as were assorted English pals from London. Even the Pakistanis love it. My two-time Oscar-winning pal, Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, was visiting at the same time we were, and it was her second vacation there in a span of two months. Friends from Colombo — Indians who had been there for generation — told me of another friend, a rich feudal from Lahore, who had just honeymooned there.

It used to be that December break meant Phuket for many Indians (including me) but for the past few years, I’ve preferred heading South rather than south-east (it didn’t help that on my last trip to Phuket, there was a hideous stomach bug that infected people up and down the island).

Although the topography is similar to Goa, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, the vibe in Sri Lanka is totally different. It’s much more relaxed. Women can hang out on the beach without getting ogled at. But what really sets the place apart is the cleanliness.

Ever since my first visit five years ago, I was amazed at the hygiene levels. Public bathrooms? Not a problem. Garbage? Not littering the streets. As I wandered through the coastal towns of Ambalangoda, Meetiyagoda, Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna, Talpe and Mirissa, I was impressed that even the smallest places were spotless. Unfortunately, despite Prime Minister Modi’s Swacch Bharat initiative, India continues to fail on this front. During the break, I read a news report about how the new air conditioned Mumbai suburban trains had been littered with empty chips packets and cigarettes.

Why is our smaller southern neighbour so much cleaner than we are? I raised the subject over dinner with friends at the Aman hotel in Galle Fort, where we had gone to bring in my birthday, on New Year’s Eve. “Their population is about the size of Mumbai’s,” pointed out Ms Practicality, who was on her maiden visit to the country. “That’s a cop-out,” said Mr Real Estate Developer, with a dismissive wave of his hand. “Look at Haiti, which has a half of Mumbai’s population but is filthy.” He had a point, and I wasn’t about to challenge it, since I hadn’t been to Haiti, but one look at India’s smaller towns would affirm that a smaller population didn’t necessarily result in clean surroundings. The next day, we continued the discussion over a languid Italian lunch at WB, located at Why Beach in Talpe, but were unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I gave up trying to find an answer.

Later, strolling in Galle Fort, with its well preserved 17th century streets and buildings, it was hard not be seduced by the historic charm, quaint shops and hotels dotting the world heritage site. TripAdvisor describes Galle as the “emporium of foreign trade” and you have to have nerves of steel to not succumb to a shopping expedition. Temptation abounded. Delicate designs, with the semi-precious gemstones Sri Lanka is famous for, were ripe for the picking at Sandaken on Peddlers Street, and Ibrahim Jewellers, on Church Street. Spices, silver, home accessories, retro art, handicrafts and top quality linen could be found in chic boutiques. But never mind these beautiful material goods, those could be had at a price in India too. What truly impressed was the realisation that, in South Asia, cleanliness is the ultimate luxury. Let’s hope that 2018 is when we Indians clean up our act.
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/luxury/leaning-towards-lanka/article22374406.ece

An Indian perspective on that..

Tourists make a beeline for Sri Lanka

Gayatri Rangachari Shah

JANUARY 05, 2018 14:58 IST
UPDATED: JANUARY 05, 2018 19:25 IST
  • The island nation is increasingly becoming a preferred getaway — and the spotless streets could be one reason why
    It’s the dawn of a new year but I long to go back to the final vestiges of 2017, when, relaxing on the glorious beaches of southern Sri Lanka, reality was so far away. This year, it seems like an enormous, well-heeled Indian contingent is vacationing in Sri Lanka. From press accounts, even Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh were there to snorkel. The Indian Ocean doesn’t offer the calmest of waters, of course, but the sun sizzles and it helps that the Sri Lankan currency is so much weaker than ours.

Our island neighbour is clearly experiencing a tourism boom. My Hong Kong Chinese friends were there en famille, as were assorted English pals from London. Even the Pakistanis love it. My two-time Oscar-winning pal, Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy, was visiting at the same time we were, and it was her second vacation there in a span of two months. Friends from Colombo — Indians who had been there for generation — told me of another friend, a rich feudal from Lahore, who had just honeymooned there.

It used to be that December break meant Phuket for many Indians (including me) but for the past few years, I’ve preferred heading South rather than south-east (it didn’t help that on my last trip to Phuket, there was a hideous stomach bug that infected people up and down the island).

Although the topography is similar to Goa, Kerala and Tamil Nadu, the vibe in Sri Lanka is totally different. It’s much more relaxed. Women can hang out on the beach without getting ogled at. But what really sets the place apart is the cleanliness.

Ever since my first visit five years ago, I was amazed at the hygiene levels. Public bathrooms? Not a problem. Garbage? Not littering the streets. As I wandered through the coastal towns of Ambalangoda, Meetiyagoda, Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna, Talpe and Mirissa, I was impressed that even the smallest places were spotless. Unfortunately, despite Prime Minister Modi’s Swacch Bharat initiative, India continues to fail on this front. During the break, I read a news report about how the new air conditioned Mumbai suburban trains had been littered with empty chips packets and cigarettes.

Why is our smaller southern neighbour so much cleaner than we are? I raised the subject over dinner with friends at the Aman hotel in Galle Fort, where we had gone to bring in my birthday, on New Year’s Eve. “Their population is about the size of Mumbai’s,” pointed out Ms Practicality, who was on her maiden visit to the country. “That’s a cop-out,” said Mr Real Estate Developer, with a dismissive wave of his hand. “Look at Haiti, which has a half of Mumbai’s population but is filthy.” He had a point, and I wasn’t about to challenge it, since I hadn’t been to Haiti, but one look at India’s smaller towns would affirm that a smaller population didn’t necessarily result in clean surroundings. The next day, we continued the discussion over a languid Italian lunch at WB, located at Why Beach in Talpe, but were unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I gave up trying to find an answer.

Later, strolling in Galle Fort, with its well preserved 17th century streets and buildings, it was hard not be seduced by the historic charm, quaint shops and hotels dotting the world heritage site. TripAdvisor describes Galle as the “emporium of foreign trade” and you have to have nerves of steel to not succumb to a shopping expedition. Temptation abounded. Delicate designs, with the semi-precious gemstones Sri Lanka is famous for, were ripe for the picking at Sandaken on Peddlers Street, and Ibrahim Jewellers, on Church Street. Spices, silver, home accessories, retro art, handicrafts and top quality linen could be found in chic boutiques. But never mind these beautiful material goods, those could be had at a price in India too. What truly impressed was the realisation that, in South Asia, cleanliness is the ultimate luxury. Let’s hope that 2018 is when we Indians clean up our act.
http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/luxury/leaning-towards-lanka/article22374406.ece

yeah right

yahapalanaya

XB7S335.jpg

k1.jpg

Krrish Square | Colombo, Sri Lanka

Krrish Square is a set of four super tall skyscrapers under construction in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The commercial segment of the project is expected to attract major Fortune 500 companies who are interested in setting up offices in Colombo. The project, currently ranked as the 10th largest of its kind in the world, current stands with a total project cost estimate approximately US$ 650 million. The entire Krrish development will have a 12-floor base "podium", to be used for car parking, high-end retail stores, and shopping complexes. Upon completion, the towers will be some of the tallest buildings in the world.

ROLE OF BSEC
MEP Review

CLIENT
Krrish Group

ARCHITECT
China Construction Design International (CCDI)

CONTRACTOR
Zhongtian Construction Group Co. Ltd

http://bsec.lk/krrish-square.php

@Bombaywalla .. Not too sure about the lofty claim though, But interesting they will preserve the heritage buildings surrounding the project which is a good thing

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

k4.jpg

b1ca4e0a18523db8bc340f079da5cff7.jpg

k1.jpg

Krrish Square | Colombo, Sri Lanka

Krrish Square is a set of four super tall skyscrapers under construction in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The commercial segment of the project is expected to attract major Fortune 500 companies who are interested in setting up offices in Colombo. The project, currently ranked as the 10th largest of its kind in the world, current stands with a total project cost estimate approximately US$ 650 million. The entire Krrish development will have a 12-floor base "podium", to be used for car parking, high-end retail stores, and shopping complexes. Upon completion, the towers will be some of the tallest buildings in the world.

ROLE OF BSEC
MEP Review

CLIENT
Krrish Group

ARCHITECT
China Construction Design International (CCDI)

CONTRACTOR
Zhongtian Construction Group Co. Ltd

http://bsec.lk/krrish-square.php

@Bombaywalla .. Not too sure about the lofty claim though, But interesting they will preserve the heritage buildings surrounding the project which is a good thing

k3.jpg

k2.jpg

k4.jpg

b1ca4e0a18523db8bc340f079da5cff7.jpg

LOL this has been going on for YEARS.

Back
Top Bottom