What's new

Sri Lanka Telecom soft launches very high speed VDSL2

Skyline

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka Telecom the only wireline operator in the country, said it had soft-launched a VDSL2 (Very-High-Bit-Rate Digital Subscriber Line 2) fixed broadband service.

The technology was demonstrated to Sri Lanka's telecom minister Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, at a regional telecom office in Kegalle.
The demonstration has seen data speeds in excess of 90Mbps, Sri Lanka Telecom said.

Unlike ADSL, (assymetrical-digital-subscriber-line) which gives fast downloads for home use, VDSL2 is fast on both directions and can be used for gaming and video conferencing in addition to television, voice calls.

Lalith De Silva, group chief executive of SLD said that VDSL2 makes possible data speeds of up to 100Mpbs on a copper wire which not available through other services.

VDSL2 works best over short distances to the subscriber through copper wires which are connected to a fibre optic network.

SLT said it was laying Fiber-to-the-Neighborhood/Node (FTTN) technology under its i-Sri Lanka project.

Sri Lanka Telecom soft launches very high speed VDSL2

Unlike ADSL, (assymetrical-digital-subscriber-line) which gives fast downloads for home use, VDSL2 is fast on both directions and can be used for gaming and video conferencing in addition to television, voice calls.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...ches-very-high-speed-vdsl2.html#ixzz2U6WD6YYM
No matter how fast the internet speed is it dosent reduce Ping. Only a reduction in node clutter can do that in addition to reducing distance between two connected nodes..

Anyways the dls will be phenomenal congrats. Imo i still cant see any use fr dls above 4mbps.:undecided:

No matter how fast the internet speed is it dosent reduce Ping. Only a reduction in node clutter can do that in addition to reducing distance between two connected nodes..

Anyways the dls will be phenomenal congrats. Imo i still cant see any use fr dls above 4mbps.:undecided:

So, what do you think is the apt speed?

well, I think SLT is trying to keep their customer base. currently their home packages are 8Mbps ADSL lines, they see a threat from 4G LTE fixed lines which has good uploading speed compared to SLT's home packages. so they have to introduce new packages...

personally everything considered , if for ur own personal use, go fr nothing above 4mbps. After like a month in ull probably run out of things to dl.:rolleyes:(and when i say tahat it literally covers a very wide array of downloadables.). As for streaming a good 4mps connection will stream properly compressed 720p vids no issues.

well, I think SLT is trying to keep their customer base. currently their home packages are 8Mbps ADSL lines, they see a threat from 4G LTE fixed lines which has good uploading speed compared to SLT's home packages. so they have to introduce new packages...

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/centra...ches-very-high-speed-vdsl2.html#ixzz2U6f8O1D7

Above 4mbs only if one intend to share. anyways pretty good. Though i cant say i would wish it . All i wish for is Indian ISP to reduce nodal cluttering. Fudgin hate it when my pings from here to the EU is almost similar to pings i would get from Maharashtra.

Above 4mbs only if one intend to share. anyways pretty good. Though i cant say i would wish it . All i wish for is Indian ISP to reduce nodal cluttering. Fudgin hate it when my pings from here to the EU is almost similar to pings i would get from Maharashtra.

At the moment I think every one need at least 10Mbps up and down net connection. But future is totally depend on Cloud base environment, so people will need to have more speed on their broadband lines.

Back
Top Bottom