What's new

Sri Lanka recalls cricketers from IPL for training

Humanist

Reaction score
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka’s sports authorities on Tuesday ordered its cricketers playing in the ongoing Indian Premier League to return home for training ahead of next month’s tour of England.

Sports Minister Mahinadananda Althugamage said he wanted team members to prioritise the national side over the IPL, which is financially lucrative for players.

“In future, national cricket players can participate in foreign tournaments only in a manner that will not affect practices of the Sri Lankan national team,” the ministry said in a statement.

It said those who are selected for the three-Test series in England will have to return home for practices despite their commitments in the ongoing IPL Twenty20 tournament.

Former skipper Kumar Sangakkara and his deputy Mahela Jayawardene are among 11 Sri Lankan national players in the IPL and at least five of them are tipped to be included in the squad for England.

The statement did not say how the players will be penalised if they did not attend practices as required under a new sports ministry decree, but official sources said they were likely to be dropped if they did not comply.

Sri Lanka cricket has seen a spate of resignations following the side’s defeat in the World Cup final against India earlier this month

no man wanted to see dilshan kicking the ball hard while malinga makes troubel for other teams just like today first ball of the game bam wicket taken

I am seeing BCCI and sri lankan boards fight in future.... BCCI will surely make its point any time soon... Interesting days ahead..

I am seeing BCCI and sri lankan boards fight in future.... BCCI will surely make its point any time soon... Interesting days ahead..

just an unnecessary fuss kicked off by this politician. someone needs to tell him that it's BCCI's funding which helps SL cricket a great deal & the bilateral series they play every year which generates more money to SL cricket than any other series. SL players will still stay & the business will be as usual. there will be a quick U turn sooner than later from ths SL's side on this!!

don't recollect Sri Lankans being called back from the English counties. If any politician in South Asia wants to quickly earn spurs - criticize India is the mantra. Presto - the politician is the little guy standing up to big, bad India - david versus goliath - everyone supports the underdog - at least his or her constituency does.

I think they are still suffering from the hangover of defeat in World cup....

I think they are still suffering from the hangover of defeat in World cup....

i think it's more to do with minister vs sl cricket. he is just throwing his weight around & trying to tell them who the boss is?? it's always been the case in srilankan cricket. nothing new!!

i think it's more to do with minister vs sl cricket. he is just throwing his weight around & trying to tell them who the boss is?? it's always been the case in srilankan cricket. nothing new!!

I too think the same... there are lots of internal politics going on Sri lanka .. fight is going on with Ranatunga.. then some say that Aravinda desilva's family is running the selection commitee... very recently after world cup loss, Ranatunga told in an indian news channel that Srilankan borad is run by mafia people.

I too think the same... there are lots of internal politics going on Sri lanka .. fight is going on with Ranatunga.. then some say that Aravinda desilva's family is running the selection commitee... very recently after world cup loss, Ranatunga told in an indian news channel that Srilankan borad is run by mafia people.

that's true. mafia & political influence has always been there in SL cricket. but they all know that they got to be on the good books of BCCI regardless.

I thought Ranatunga and DeSilva were buddies.

do the west indies players play for west indies or IPL in the pakistan tour...players like gayle and etc??

do the west indies players play for west indies or IPL in the pakistan tour...players like gayle and etc??

No they will not play for IPL, they will join WI national team. As Pakistan is not playing in IPL, my dear Pakistani friend have forgotten that IPL player can join at any time and leave at any time (with informing there team management). ..

The aussies players will join IPL after there Bangla tour is over... The WI and SL player will join there national team for respective tour...

@Topic: Lankan minister comment is unwanted (who wants politicians advice.)It is Lankan board who will dictate lankan players... The minister is trying to get cheap publicity ... :P

Back
Top Bottom