What's new

Sri Lanka in the top list of binge drinking

The chart shows the percentage of drinkers who binge drink ie. drinkers who abuse alcohol and drink to get smashed atleast once a week. Not the percentage of population which drinks. So it shows how much of a drinking problem exists within a country's drinking population.

The prohibition leads to people to abuse illegal substances like moonshine and country liqueur, Which is more dangerous and leads to death.. I've read somewhere that in India it's quite common for mass deaths by alcohol poisoning due to moonshine

Exactly. Country made liquor is actually a big problem in India's rural regions. Forget rural, even big cities like Delhi have rickshaw drivers and labourers who buy this from nearby villages that result in death. In that terms, my state is better off because the brewery industry here for beer and alcohol is pretty strong. We have a local rice beer called Chhaang which is legal and thus saves us the trouble of country liquor.

But other states in India, particularly in the north, east and south India are not like that. Bangalore maybe the booze capital of the country but the lower class always become victim to poisonous moonshine and other country-made stuff illegally.

@bronxbull

I drink in moderation.

Once a week. Or nowadays once in two weeks. And never to get drunk.

The attitude is also a part of the problem.

In Kerala, people with money, and no employment (remittance culture) is part of the equation.

Banning Alcohol would probably help feed a Criminal network of bootleggers.

With most of the bars closed in Kerala...What do yo think?...Will there be a reduction in alcohol consumption in Kerala?

Exactly. Country made liquor is actually a big problem in India's rural regions. Forget rural, even big cities like Delhi have rickshaw drivers and labourers who buy this from nearby villages that result in death. In that terms, my state is better off because the brewery industry here for beer and alcohol is pretty strong. We have a local rice beer called Chhaang which is legal and thus saves us the trouble of country liquor.

But other states in India, particularly in the north, east and south India are not like that. Bangalore maybe the booze capital of the country but the lower class always become victim to poisonous moonshine and other country-made stuff illegally.

Danny Denzongpa?

With most of the bars closed in Kerala...What do yo think?...Will there be a reduction in alcohol consumption in Kerala?

Only time will tell.

But I think the sale will go underground.

dont drink brothers.
ehh what??

Can't blame the srilankans..good tropical climate, nice beaches, only thing that you need is chilled beer..

Damn, I have to put that plan for Goa into action sometime soon...

Come on buddy. Despite all your government restrictions do you really think that liquor market doesn't have any space in your country? In a place like Saudi and UAE where there is an islamic law implemented, alcohol flows freely for those who know how to get it.

Here in India, alcohol is heavily taxed and very expensive compared to western and even southeast Asian countries. But do you think that people don't drink much? On the contrary, alcoholism has increased almost three times in since last few years. Black market, shady businesses etc all fuel the supply.

I was surprised how we Indians are not on the top list.

In fact, if they legalize alcohol and reduce taxes, it will make people consume less in long term because people will get bored and smuggling will stop.

Dude, I know more than you the level of 'drinking' in Pakistan. I personally knew 'karyana stores' (grocery stores on the corner of streets) who used to have alcohol bottles in the back :D

But This survey is totally flawed.

Pakistan, and wider Islamic World, are the "driest" regions when it comes to Alcohol consumption. I live in the U.S...I know what "drinking societies" look like. Pakistan is no way near a 'drinking society'....It doesn't mean that people don't drink there...but over-whelming majority of Pakistanis aren't regular drinkers like people here in U.S are and so on.

This report produces very flawed results.

But binge drinking would be..But as you say it's a cultural thing, for many in the West and countries like Lanka it's social norm but for many people in the more conservative sub continent it's a vice

I heard someone say the way we drink in Sri Lanka is wrong. What say you? Curious about this topic.

DMbeer%26stout00062d.jpg

For the health conscious :angel:

Just 3.5% Alcohol. yuck!! :o::o:

Back
Top Bottom