What's new

Sri Lanka curfew extended as Muslims and Buddhists clashes

SouthDesi

Reaction score
Country
India
Sri Lankan police extended a curfew across two popular coastal resorts Sunday as Muslims and hardline Buddhists clashed sparking street rioting that renewed religious tensions in the country.

Police said they fired teargas and widened the curfew to Beruwala, a predominantly Muslim area, after initial violence broke out in the neighbouring town of Alutgama, 60 kilometres (37 miles) south of the capital Colombo.

Both areas are popular beach resorts frequented by international tourists, but there were no reports of any foreigners caught up in the violence.

President Mahinda Rajapakse, who is currently visiting Bolivia, said in a statement that he will not allow "anyone to take the law into their own hand".

"An investigation will be held for (the) law to take its course of action to bring to book those responsible for incidents in Alutgama," the President said on Twitter. "I urge all parties concerned to act with restraint."

Residents said Muslims were leaving their homes and seeking shelter in community centers after several houses came under attack.

"Several Muslim-owned shops have been burnt and (their) homes attacked," a resident in Beruwala told AFP by telephone.

The two groups attacked each other with stones -- the latest in a series of religious clashes to hit the island.

A police spokesman said trouble began when a group led by Buddhist monks tried to march in an area where there is a concentration of Muslims, who are a minority in the mainly Buddhist country.

"The curfew was declared to bring the situation under control," a police officer in the area told reporters. "The curfew was extended to a neighbouring area to prevent an escalation of clashes."

There were no reports of arrests.

Many activists from both sides as well as bystanders were injured during the evening clashes, according to witnesses who also reported seeing several vehicles smashed.

The latest unrest came weeks after Muslim legislators asked President Rajapakse to protect their minority community from "Buddhist extremist elements" blamed for a recent spate of hate attacks.

Muslims make up about 10 percent of Sri Lanka's 20 million population.

Nationalist Buddhist groups have in turn accused religious minorities of wielding undue political and economic influence on the island.

Videos posted on YouTube have shown mobs led by Buddhist monks throwing stones and smashing a Christian prayer centre in southern Sri Lanka in January this year and attacking mosques while police looked on.

Senior Buddhist monks have also been caught on video threatening violence against their moderate colleagues who advocate tolerance.

Rajapakse, who is a Buddhist, warned monks in January last year not to incite religious violence.

Lanka curfew extended as religious clashes spread - Hindustan Times

Buddhists in Sri Lanka are supposed to be very peaceful. Why are they doing this?

Buddhists in Sri Lanka are supposed to be very peaceful. Why are they doing this?

As contradictory as it may sound but the Lankan Buddhists follow a militant-nationalistic form of Buddhism.

Sinhala Buddhism was never a peaceful religion, their history of killing Tamils goes back 1000s of years , now they are on a Muslim killing spree after exterminating 100,000 Tamils in 2009. Tamils consigned to concentration camps,are no longer a threat - economically and politically

BBC News - Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

Black July 1983 - which trigger Tamil separatism

Last edited:
Sinhala Buddhism was never a peaceful religion, their history of killing Tamils goes back 1000s of years , now they are on a Muslim killing spree after exterminating 100,000 Tamils in 2009. Tamils consigned to concentration camps,are no longer a threat - economically and politically

BBC News - Sri Lanka imposes curfew after Buddhist-Muslim clashes

Black July 1983 - which trigger Tamil separatism

but it was the very same 'innocent srilankan muslims like you'who helped the srilankan forces to kill the Tamil L.T.T.E gangs??...from what i know they had done maximum destruction to Tamils than Sinhalese??
now you are shedding crocodile tears for Tamil..good..

but it was the very same 'innocent srilankan muslims like you'who helped the srilankan forces to kill the Tamil L.T.T.E gangs??...from what i know they had done maximum destruction to Tamils than Sinhalese??
now you are shedding crocodile tears for Tamil..good..

India provided Lanka all the military assistance and intel to wipe out LTTE , ask the Lankan Defence Sec Gota if you have doubt

It was India working cohesively with Lanka that was responsible the Tamil genocide , no need to push the blame on others

India was accused yesterday of complicity in the killing of an estimated 20,000 civilians in the last stages of Sri Lanka’s 26-year war against the Tamil Tigers

SuprSavr 3: India accused of complicity in deaths of Sri Lankan Tamils

India provided Lanka all the military assistance and intel to wipe out LTTE , ask the Lankan Defence Sec Gota if you have doubt

It was India working cohesively with Lanka that was responsible the Tamil genocide , no need to push the blame on others

SuprSavr 3: India accused of complicity in deaths of Sri Lankan Tamils
both are different...srilanka is our strategic friendly neighbor nation and we have a good relation with them ..it was our prime duty to help them to wipe out terrorist L.TT.E...but for you??
every one know that there was/is no good relations between Tamils and Tamil speaking muslims of srilanka..actually,Muslims hated Tamils more than Sinhalese..Srilankan forces used Muslims as spies because of their proficiency in Tamil language,moreover Tamils and Muslims look some what same and very hard to distinguish them...

both are different...srilanka is our strategic friendly neighbor nation and we have a good relation with them ..it was our prime duty to help them to wipe out terrorist L.TT.E...but for you??

India worked hand in glove with Lanka to wipe out 100,000 Tamils in North using the pretext - LTTE

every one know that there was/is no good relations between Tamils and Tamil speaking muslims of srilanka..actually,Muslims hated Tamils more than Sinhalese..Srilankan forces used Muslims as spies because of their proficiency in Tamil language,moreover Tamils and Muslims look some what same and very hard to distinguish them...

You conveniently forgot Karuna's role ???

Muslims military wise, were never a force to reckon with .. and the so called animosity was the creation of Sinhala Neo Nazis' conspiracy against Tamils, but that's no longer working ..

TNA’s Two Bonus Seats: To A Muslim And To A Woman And Not To Anandasangari | Colombo Telegraph

TNA, SLMC to jointly work on N&E issues - Sri Lanka: One Island Two Nations

As expected the resident LTTE rump here is having orgasms over the news of unrest in SL.. While there is already a thread created and discussed about it.. @abjktu .. Just be aware of serial trolls here.. They come in various guises.. First Canadian, Then Singaporean and now pretending to be a Lankan muslim but it's nothing but a tiger pussy with a arse burn hiding away in south east Asia

Muslims Still In Mosques; Shops Looted Throughout The Night | Colombo Telegraph

Riots Expand; Minister Held Hostage | Colombo Telegraph

Deputy Minister Faizer Mustapha is currently held hostage at the Nallemiyah Arabic College in Beruwala with an armed mob standing outside to attack those within, reports just coming in from the ground said.

However, sources close to the Minister said that the Minister wasn’t held ‘hostage’ but was blocked from leaving the premises, after he went in to the school. Unconfirmed Reports also said that the Minister had sought refuge in the school after his convoy was attacked by the mob.

Muslims from across the village have sought refuge at the Arabic College from the rampaging mobs.

Reports just coming in said that Lotus Raod in Dharga town is now under attack by rampaging Sinhalese mobs, who have defied the Police curfew that was imposed at 6.45. PM today.

Two mosques in Adhikaragoda among many other mosques have been torched thus far, reports said.

Several individuals have also sustained injuries although reports are unclear as to the exact number.

NEWS JUST IN: The attack has spread to Colombo, with the Harcourts pharmacy in Dehiwala is attacked.

*Harcourts pharmacy in Dehiwala

India worked hand in glove with Lanka to wipe out 100,000 Tamils in North using the pretext - LTTE

You conveniently forgot Karuna's role ???

Muslims military wise, were never a force to reckon with .. and the so called animosity was the creation of Sinhala Neo Nazis' conspiracy against Tamils, but that's no longer working ..

TNA’s Two Bonus Seats: To A Muslim And To A Woman And Not To Anandasangari | Colombo Telegraph

TNA, SLMC to jointly work on N&E issues - Sri Lanka: One Island Two Nations
ha ha,we are well aware of your double nature...
In the past you peoples backstabed your own Tamil hindus/christians for pretty political gains and enjoyed all the benefits including free lands,ministerial posts for this betrayal from the sinhalese(i am not defending eelam struggle)...now the sinhalese realized your true nature and started attacking you ..so as a minority you can't defend them alone and wants Tamils support to defend against Sinhalese..
thats why you are crying like a baby here...
i am not defending the recent attack against you..but its you peoples,who made them to do so..
first,leave your wahhabism , chamaleon nature and try to live with sinhalese and Tamils..

ha ha,we are well aware of your double nature...
In the past you peoples backstabed your own Tamil hindus/christians for pretty political gains and enjoyed all the benefits including free lands,ministerial posts for this betrayal from the sinhalese(i am not defending eelam struggle)...now the sinhalese realized your true nature and started attacking you ..so as a minority you can't defend them alone and wants Tamils support to defend against Sinhalese..
thats why you are crying like a baby here...
i am not defending the recent attack against you..but its you peoples,who made them to do so..
first,leave your wahhabism , chamaleon nature and try to live with sinhalese and Tamils..

the back stabbing was done by Sinhalas , Muslims fell for the patriotic card but even Karuna fell for the lure of power, women and wealth not to mention Douglas.

I am not short sighted like the rest, I knew the Sinhala Buddhists will came after Muslims after finishing off Tamils , next ??? .

they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

In the 60s they kicked out plantation Tamils , in 70s Burghers, from 1980 onwards Eelam Tamils,
These are the patriotic Muslims who flocked to Colombo from Aluthgama, Dhargatown and Beruwala to protest against US Embassy and UN resolution , they need to wake up and not blame CIA and Zionist for their current plight

Last edited:
From what I have seen, it was not so much a clash than a straight forward attack by militant Buddhists. I fail to understand why? Its not like Muslims are aiming at taking over the government or something like that. What purpose does this violence serve? Totally senseless.

Back
Top Bottom