What's new

Sri Lanka becomes more corrupt

Surprised with SL. I always though SL was the least corrupt country in South Asia...India is at 79 with 40 points

Different levels of bureaucracy are weighted differently.

Most indices tend to weight high level bureaucracy (theory, legislation) more than they should compared to delivery level bureaucracy (action).

The latter bit, SL and southern Indian states have done quite well hence their overall better socio-economic development compared to region as a whole.

High level federal bureaucracy has seen some good progress overall in India recently so the corruption perception has improved....but in bulk of india, delivery still needs to be improved immensely....it is not really "perceived" so much because people have gotten used to it so much and whole industries have benefited from working with it etc.

SL high level corruption however should not be ignored and the trend* is overall not an encouraging thing to see....because having the top being bad will always have a bad ripple/trickle down effect through the whole structure....and cause even the more efficient lower level to become diseased over time if not addressed.

So overall thats why India does better in this index than SL. A number has to be dissected to understand where it comes from...rather than taken face value.

*India score has gotten better (larger the number is better...Denmark scores 90 and Somalia 10) from 36 in 2012 to 40 in 2016 (I would say mostly Modi admin based reforms)

In comparison SL has dropped worryingly from 40 in 2012 to 36 in 2016.

Pakistan also improved from 27 to 32 in this time period.

BD is stagnant at score of 26.

Nepal improved from 27 to 29.

Bhutan is an already high performer at 63 to 65 scorewise.

For comparison, China scores 40, USA scores 74 in 2016.

Biggest regional improvement has been in Myanmar increasing from 15 to 28.

@LA se Karachi @Aung Zaya

Couldn't agree more, wealth = higher education = problems/issues are dealt with effectively and efficiently.

Our literacy rates are no longer relevant to us, high literacy rates simply means one is able to read and write. This is no longer sufficient, we need higher broad-based education at the tertiary level.

Investment in education/human resources pays dividends like nothing else. It is so important.

Educated people will find their own healthcare through the private sector. It is more important than investment in healthcare or anything else

You and I are on same wavelength. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Different levels of bureaucracy are weighted differently.

Most indices tend to weight high level bureaucracy (theory, legislation) more than they should compared to delivery level bureaucracy (action).

The latter bit, SL and southern Indian states have done quite well hence their overall better socio-economic development compared to region as a whole.

High level federal bureaucracy has seen some good progress overall in India recently so the corruption perception has improved....but in bulk of india, delivery still needs to be improved immensely....it is not really "perceived" so much because people have gotten used to it so much and whole industries have benefited from working with it etc.

SL high level corruption however should not be ignored and the trend* is overall not an encouraging thing to see....because having the top being bad will always have a bad ripple/trickle down effect through the whole structure....and cause even the more efficient lower level to become diseased over time if not addressed.

So overall thats why India does better in this index than SL. A number has to be dissected to understand where it comes from...rather than taken face value.

*India score has gotten better (larger the number is better...Denmark scores 90 and Somalia 10) from 36 in 2012 to 40 in 2016 (I would say mostly Modi admin based reforms)

In comparison SL has dropped worryingly from 40 in 2012 to 36 in 2016.

Pakistan also improved from 27 to 32 in this time period.

BD is stagnant at score of 26.

Nepal improved from 27 to 29.

Bhutan is an already high performer at 63 to 65 scorewise.

For comparison, China scores 40, USA scores 74 in 2016.

Biggest regional improvement has been in Myanmar increasing from 15 to 28.

@LA se Karachi @Aung Zaya

You and I are on same wavelength. Welcome aboard!

I know for a fact Bhutan's legislation concerning corruption is fairly comphrensive, clear and the institutions that oversees it fairly independent and strong.

Something that could explain SL drop is after the government change in 2015, the new administration set out to go back to the drawing board for the new legislation, this made times a bit chaotic for the institution that oversees the legislation (which number many). that was one of the objectives of the reform work streamlining execution.
On the reforms side it's still a bit chaotic, it maybe few years yet until things stabilize. That's another issue that the current administration is trying to fix (policy stability), even after governments change.

I, for one, am surprised by this. I've visited SL and used public transport extensively, visited nationalised tea estates, universities and banks. I've chatted with cops, railwaymen, drivers, teachers and other government employees and without exception found less corruption and more efficiency than their counterparts in India - where private sector outsourcing is a saving grace.

Under Sirisena I thought corruption would reduce if at all.

Allowing people that haven't passed O/L to contest will reduce corruption but one or two will always creep in. Its fault of the voters many honest MPs contested for the last general election but many of them couldn't make it.
If Sajin Vaas or Duminda silva were allowed to contest they would have won easily.

Honest politicians? How you judge the honesty of the politician? People vote for the person who has done something for the community. That doesn't require one to take educational qualification of highest proportion. In fact even the university degree holders lack the critical knowledge of everyday life. How can we expect them to lead a nation?

I, for one, am surprised by this. I've visited SL and used public transport extensively, visited nationalised tea estates, universities and banks. I've chatted with cops, railwaymen, drivers, teachers and other government employees and without exception found less corruption and more efficiency than their counterparts in India - where private sector outsourcing is a saving grace.

Under Sirisena I thought corruption would reduce if at all.

Sirisena is a con man. Don't get duped by his promises. He can't do anything to reduce corruption. Anyhow, Sirisena government is set to fail within this year.

Sirisena is a con man. Don't get duped by his promises. He can't do anything to reduce corruption. Anyhow, Sirisena government is set to fail within this year.

As a realist, the chance of that happening is less than 1%. Please don't show me Mahinda propaganda, just wait until the end of the year and see.

As a realist, the chance of that happening is less than 1%. Please don't show me Mahinda propaganda, just wait until the end of the year and see.

It's not a propaganda machan. This government is delaying the 'local government' elections because they are going to lose it convincingly. When that happens they can't run the government any further. They have to call in elections. Moreover, there are talks going on inside the government of changing Ranil W for good. We have to wait and see if that is going to materialize. Either way present government will fail this year.

What type of elections are going to take place?

First is the local government elections, which are un-democratically postponed. The government is set to loose them. When they loose it, they can't keep running the central government. They have to call in fresh elections.

just perception.. it does not mean lanka is more or less corrupt than India.. we need better stats.

Back
Top Bottom