ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1797468_610253602392707_3651521364709550780_n.jpg

10151281_610253735726027_4780150449449043068_n.jpg

1797459_610253742392693_8492104135344347211_n.jpg

url.jpeg

it looks more of a festival of Flowers & different Boats with different Symbols. How many days this festival runs? what other activities used to happen in this festival?

it looks more of a festival of Flowers & different Boats with different Symbols. How many days this festival runs? what other activities used to happen in this festival?
This is just one area called Canal Road, Spring Festivities also called Basant is celebrated all over Lahore. It lasts for a couple of weeks i believe and people from all over Pakistan descend on Lahore. Night time kite flying use to be a big attraction but i understand it's been curtailed due to many mishaps.

This is just one area called Canal Road, Spring Festivities also called Basant is celebrated all over Lahore. It lasts for a couple of weeks i believe and people from all over Pakistan descend on Lahore. Night time kite flying use to be a big attraction but i understand it's been curtailed due to many mishaps.

Basant was never meant to be Spring festival, it is BS propaganda , in our punjabi dictionary Basant meant when we fly kites on massive scale, many time in my childhood Basant was well into foggy winter and also we used to fly kites for many many months before and after the basant. I dont know from where this BS concept of Basant = Spring festival has come. A better translation for Spring festival would be "Jashn e Baharan" perhaps. During my childhood we had many episodes of specific activities called "Baar" in our language , for example Guddiyan di Baar, Laatuan di Baar, Bantiyan di Baar, gulli dande di baar and so on.

Basant was never meant to be Spring festival, it is BS propaganda , in our punjabi dictionary Basant meant when we fly kites on massive scale, many time in my childhood Basant was well into foggy winter and also we used to fly kites for many many months before and after the basant. I dont know from where this BS concept of Basant = Spring festival has come. A better translation for Spring festival would be "Jashn e Baharan" perhaps. During my childhood we had many episodes of specific activities called "Baar" in our language , for example Guddiyan di Baar, Laatuan di Baar, Bantiyan di Baar, gulli dande di baar and so on.
The kite flying spring festival of Basant will be on in Lahore from February 21 till March 5.

Heralding the arrival of spring,
the roof tops and open terraces of buildings will soon be flush with people flying kites and, more to the point, making merry with music, food and drink.

Lahore’s Old City is a favourite venue and it is here that visitors from all corners of Lahore and from outside the city throng....

Basant 2014 in Lahore

The kite flying spring festival of Basant will be on in Lahore from February 21 till March 5.
Heralding the arrival of spring, the roof tops and open terraces of buildings will soon be flush with people flying kites and, more to the point, making merry with music, food and drink.

Lahore’s Old City is a favourite venue and it is here that visitors from all corners of Lahore and from outside the city throng....

Basant 2014 in Lahore
so you guys celebrate basant too. in our part after this is the last day for flying kites and then branteya de bahar starts for kids although its becoming extinct slowly. I have a question do you guys use synthetic strings for kite flying too.

so you guys celebrate basant too. in our part after this is the last day for flying kites and then branteya de bahar starts for kids although its becoming extinct slowly. I have a question do you guys use synthetic strings for kite flying too.

Thats the reason it was banned.... and now heard they moved it to changmanga forest... total ..... thousands of people lost their jobs,kite manufacturing industry = kaput..

Years ago......old city:

2qxpcva.jpg

117ql8x.jpg

zobbdk.jpg

there used to be lot of kite flying in Lahore but it is banned now , basically now basant has bee hijacked by 'Friday Times type crowd' to turn it into a day for shameless patries with booze and half naked women , after the kite flying ban there is nothing left in there for common folk who used to fly kites from even the narrowest roof toops , more than the synthetic 'door' it was the steel wire used for flying kites that did a lot damge

Some kite flying terminology from Lahore

Gudda - Kite with a trangular tail
Parri - Kite with a frilly tal
Sharla - small sized kite , called Sharla as it does 'sharr sharr' too much when it flies
Pattang - It a two winged kite
Kup - two winged kite , similar to a Pattang but its not as wide
Machar - Similar to a parri but more tapered towards the end.
Muradabadi - This kite has a narrow triangular tail and its charecteristc is that it spins in flight , this is used to catch 'in flight' kites that have gotten cut in 'peecha' , its quite a skill and art called 'chamerna'
Talawain - the string 'triangle' made to attach the main string to the kite
Chaipi - brown tape to put in the fingers to avoid fingers getting cut , also used to mend kites
Pinna - The round ball of kite flying string
Kanti - A stone tied to a string to throw over a visible string of another flying kite , considred bad manners to use
Kajhapp - If the central bamboo strip of the kite is too straight , the kite can 'stall' in the air and fall to ground very quickly so they kite is placed over the head and bent a little , this is called taking out the 'kajhap'
Door - Kite flying string , has finely crushed glass powder coated
Tandi - harder non-crushed-glass coated string used mostly with Muradabai

Wrong, Basant was traditionally a festival of harvesting that coincided with spring.

In Lahore , in the past Basaant = Fly kites :D , nothing else really mattered or people cared what it actually meant or not.
People would fly kies and neighbours would exchange food items cooked over night like hallem , harisa , nihari , pai etc , family members visited each other

Back
Top Bottom