What's new

Southeast Asia shale oil and gas reserves

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Just out of curiosity, and because of energy shortages worldwide, I searched to find out how much shale oil and gas Vietnam has.
That’s a big potential we can tap in crisis like this.

Malaysia 8.19 trillion cubic feet (TCF) (equivalent to 232 billion cu.m);

the Philippines 149.8 TCF (4,242 billion cu.m),

Vietnam 77 TCF (2,180 billion cu.m),

Indonesia 58.12 TCF (1,646 billion cu.m),

the Republic of Korea 72.5 TCF (2,053 billion cu.m),

Laos 51 TCF (1,444 billion cu.m).

Just out of curiosity, and because of energy shortages worldwide, I searched to find out how much shale oil and gas Vietnam has.
That’s a big potential we can tap in crisis like this.

Malaysia 8.19 trillion cubic feet (TCF) (equivalent to 232 billion cu.m);

the Philippines 149.8 TCF (4,242 billion cu.m),

Vietnam 77 TCF (2,180 billion cu.m),

Indonesia 58.12 TCF (1,646 billion cu.m),

the Republic of Korea 72.5 TCF (2,053 billion cu.m),

Laos 51 TCF (1,444 billion cu.m).

How much is total Vietnam oil and gas production every day ?

How much is total Vietnam oil and gas production every day ?
We produce 300,000 barrels oil per day, but need 500,000 barrels per day. So there is a need for imports, About gas I don’t know have to look for the number, how much gas we make from the Eastern Sea. Vietnam currently builds 9 Lng terminals. We drill oil in Russia too, will have to wait if how western sanctions have any effect.

We produce 300,000 barrels oil per day, but need 500,000 barrels per day. So there is a need for imports, About gas I don’t know have to look for the number, how much gas we make from the Eastern Sea. Vietnam currently builds 9 Lng terminals. We drill oil in Russia too, will have to wait if how western sanctions have any effect.

OK so I will bring Indonesian number to make the conversation more balance and informative

We produce 660.000 barrel of oil per day but consume around 1 million barrel oil per day. If oil and gas is combined, Indonesia produce 1.6 million equivalent of barrel of oil per day. If we combine oil and gas, we are still in trade surplus.

We target to expand the oil production into 1 million barrel of oil per day which is currently more possible since 80 % of our oil production come from state owned Pertamina where the company has 2 oil fields that are the biggest in our country and contain of large areas.

Our national drilling companies will be happy with so many new drilling plan for 2022, without adding more drilling, the proven oil reserve will stay idle and we have to import more oil if that condition is not changed.

OK so I will bring Indonesian number to make the conversation more balance and informative

We produce 660.000 barrel of oil per day but consume around 1 million barrel oil per day. If oil and gas is combined, Indonesia produce 1.6 million equivalent of barrel of oil per day. If we combine oil and gas, we are still in trade surplus.

We target to expand the oil production into 1 million barrel of oil per day which is currently more possible since 80 % of our oil production come from state owned Pertamina where the company has 2 oil fields that are the biggest in our country and contain of large areas.

Our national drilling companies will be happy with so many new drilling plan for 2022, without adding more drilling, the proven oil reserve will stay idle and we have to import more oil if that condition is not changed.
You have bigger resources that is a good thing. Energy self sufficient is strategic important. The world gets crazier by the days. I wonder why Vietnam needs to import Lng from the US, Russia and Katar why not from Indonesia. Has Indonesia any plan to make gas liquid?

You have bigger resources that is a good thing. Energy self sufficient is strategic important. The world gets crazier by the days. I wonder why Vietnam needs to import Lng from the US, Russia and Katar why not from Indonesia. Has Indonesia any plan to make gas liquid?

That is the problem, we dont have enough LNG production plant at the moment, we also import many LNG for household use, while our sufficiency is more toward natural gas that is used by the industry and power plant. In the time where cleaner energy is urged by international community then our natural gas will likely be absorbed more due to our current policy that will not issue any permit anymore for coal gas powered plant, except for the contracts that have already been signed and also on going coal powered power plants projects.

Our state owned oil and gas company has LNG production plan but is only for domestic use and there will be more LNG production after 2024 due to the refinery upgrade by Pertamina that include increasing the refinery to produce more LNG beside producing more refined oil and chemical products ( around 9 billion USD project ).

Our LNG export currently is for Japan coming from Tangguh plant in Papua province operated by British Petroleum, they also sell LNG in spot market ( which I thing due to excess capacity after LNG contracts for China is not renewed (around 20 years contracts).

We will supply Vietnam with natural gas soon inshaAllah, coming from oil and gas field located in our border in SCS, the MOU has been signed. Currently we have long term gas contracts for Singapore from 2 different gas field where one of them is going to expire in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom