What's new

South Korean military spy expelled from China

DesiGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
China expelled a South Korean Army major on charges of espionage this year after more than a year of post-trial detention there for collecting information on North Korea, military sources said Tuesday.

They say Chinese police arrested the South Korean officer in July 2009 in Shenyang, a northeastern Chinese city, and the court sentenced him to a three-year jail term on charges of spying on North Korea's nuclear programs and missiles.

The Ministry of National Defense did not confirm nor deny the expulsion of the major, noting that such a matter is classified and highly sensitive.

Sources say he was repatriated to South Korea in late September.

North Korea had ratcheted up provocations by test-firing a long-range missile and conducting a second nuclear test at the time of his arrest.

They claim that the government had requested Beijing to swiftly free the major, citing a diplomatic protocol between the two nations, but China refused to do so. .

They say the Chinese court built a spy case against him because he was allegedly attempting to meet a Chinese military official to obtain intelligence on North Korea.

South Korean military spy expelled from China

I think South Korea is the 2nd most friendly state to China in East Asia after the philippines. Maybe that's why there was no spat over this?

I think South Korea is the 2nd most friendly state to China in East Asia after the philippines. Maybe that's why there was no spat over this?

How do you define friendly? and how do you define East Asia? (Philippines is SEA in most classifications I think).

Lucky he was caught by Chinese, he should be back to his nice warm house by now. The North Koreans would have him executed right away.

we should've shot him like the drug dealer.

a murderer kills 1-20 people.
a drug dealer kills 2000-10000 people.
a spy can kill millions.

Back
Top Bottom