What's new

South Korea scrambles fighter jets after detecting 180 North Korean warplanes, military says

And communists don't impose their ideology and politics on other nations? They forcefully tried to take over Vietnam,they forcefully took over South Vietnam,Cambodia,Laos. They imposed their own governments in Eastern Europe. They banned any opposition. They funded and supported communist revolutions and guerilla movements in other countries.
Excellent observation. I wonder who else does this?

The Communists did that when they invaded the South.
I read somewhere long time ago about Korean War that actually it was the South who initiated the conflict. The S. Korean President wanted to unite the whole Korea. But they lost to the north, to an extend that they were cornered to Busan. It was the US military, led by McArthur that changed the situation.

I read somewhere long time ago about Korean War that actually it was the South who initiated the conflict. The S. Korean President wanted to unite the whole Korea. But they lost to the north, to an extend that they were cornered to Busan. It was the US military, led by McArthur that changed the situation.
Syngman Rhee(south korean dictator) absolutely did want to take all of korea. he openly voiced this and provoked NK where ever possible.
due to his provocative actions, the us actually did not allow a bunch of heavy equipment to be given to SK, things like tanks and artillery, as the us did not want a war there that could involve the soviets so soon after ww2.
the north under Kim, of course also wanted to take all of korea, and they were no less peaceful, clashes were frequent along their borders. however the communist enjoyed high support across all of korea and thus did not need to resort to massacres the way that the south did and the soviets were all too happy to send kim all the tanks and industry he needs.
thats said. its the north that initiated the korean war. while the north is painted as a aggressive, expansionist power, i would disagree since this was a national reunification war and korea's division was because superpowers drew a line in the middle of their country not because they voted to split. and while SK obviously turned out richer and more prosperous, at the time, the south was a murderous regime that killed hundreds of thousands of koreans to simply silence them because communism had wide support.

The North still is a murderous regime.

sure, you wont find in any of my posts that says they arent. i certainly would not want to live there. i was saying at the time, in the 40s and 50s, SK was the murderous one because it had to in order to stay in power, while the north had less reason to be since it enjoyed high support.
situation of course has changed.

Syngman Rhee(south korean dictator) absolutely did want to take all of korea. he openly voiced this and provoked NK where ever possible.
due to his provocative actions, the us actually did not allow a bunch of heavy equipment to be given to SK, things like tanks and artillery, as the us did not want a war there that could involve the soviets so soon after ww2.
the north under Kim, of course also wanted to take all of korea, and they were no less peaceful, clashes were frequent along their borders. however the communist enjoyed high support across all of korea and thus did not need to resort to massacres the way that the south did and the soviets were all too happy to send kim all the tanks and industry he needs.
thats said. its the north that initiated the korean war. while the north is painted as a aggressive, expansionist power, i would disagree since this was a national reunification war and korea's division was because superpowers drew a line in the middle of their country not because they voted to split. and while SK obviously turned out richer and more prosperous, at the time, the south was a murderous regime that killed hundreds of thousands of koreans to simply silence them because communism had wide support.
Both South Korea and North Korea wanted to reunite the entire thing with their own administration. The only difference is the superpower back then backing both regimes. Because both regimes would not have the backing of their superpower backer to have a move.

US is actually afraid of their deployment in Japan had South Korea reunited the entire thing under Rhee. What Truman thinking was that a reunited Korea under Rhee would threaten Japan, and the US deployment there, not too many people know but there exists a war plan (I think it was called war plan red 10 or orange 10 IIRC) Detail the plan on how US would fight Rhee regime if Rhee reunited Korea under SK and then eyeing some Japanese soil. In which US will lost the bulk of US Forces Japan in order to contain Korea.

In fact, that is the same reason people speculate why Truman was so against US troop help South Korea to liberate North of 38 Parallel and clash with MacArthur.

On the other hand, Soviet Union have no problem having the Northern Side to invade the South. That's the main different.

Back
Top Bottom