What's new

Featured South Korea Plans to Build Aircraft Carrier

Why do they need a Billion dollar carrier for some islands only 138 miles away??
View attachment 660370

I bet they can launch a squadron of Air Force planes faster from the mainland than from an Aircraft Carrier. It's not even an amphibious assault version.
Doesn't matter.
Every time Japan upgrade its military power, South Korea will do the same.
SK won't allow themselves lag behind Japanese militarily power too much.

Doesn't matter.
Every time Japan upgrade its military power, South Korea will do the same.
SK won't allow themselves lag behind Japanese militarily power too much.
This is very true. Besides the Chinese, the next party to be super irritated/threatened by Japan's Izumo carriers are the South Koreans. People heavily underestimate the historical animosity between Japan and Korea ... if anything, I'd say war is more likely between Japan and South Korea than China and South Korea.
Basically a mini Queen Elizabeth carrier.

South China Sea is going to get crowded

I highly doubt South Korea will send these carriers into the SCS ... they are on very good terms with China currently. If anything, it appears China and South Korea are forming a broad partnership against Japan. The days of the THAAD crisis looks to be far in the past.

How? Almost the entire Japanese mainland is within their Air Force range. They are better off spending that money on more fighters and bombers than an aircraft carrier with the most expensive and least capable F-35 Naval model.

View attachment 660365
Here's almost the furthest corner

View attachment 660367
Here's the distance to Tokyo

Of course with a carrier they can now drive circles around the Japanese mainland. A pretty expensive way to be an irritant.
Korea doesn't have any dispute with China in SCS and two countries are not enemies, but they have some national pride to match Japan in everything because of some past history, If Japan got something, Korea must have it too. You guys never understand their centuries old feud, even a slightest disagreement will blow into a massive dispute between those two.

The westerners can never understand how much Koreans hate Japanese, the hatred even makes cross country marriage very hard cause no one wants to be called a collaborator or a traitor, this will put whole family to shame. but China is Ok, we don't have that long running national feud with Koreans.

20200121000531_0.jpg

can you please give a brief history report on who attacked who in the past centuries and who is still mad about it??
i know Japan attacked China and made a lot of atrocities against people, so they did against Korea. also i know during the changiz khan mongols alongside with Chinese and Korean mercenaries attacked japan killed many civilians, mongols typical style. also China during Han dynasty attacked Korea several times.
am i missing any other important historical point??

can you please give a brief history report on who attacked who in the past centuries and who is still mad about it??
i know Japan attacked China and made a lot of atrocities against people, so they did against Korea. also i know during the changiz khan mongols alongside with Chinese and Korean mercenaries attacked japan killed many civilians, mongols typical style. also China during Han dynasty attacked Korea several times.
Just type "Japanese colonization of Korea" on the web search, you will get your answers. Briefly:- On August 22, 1910, Japan officially annexed Korea. Through this time, Japanese settlers had been migrating to Korea to combat overcrowding in Japan. By 1910 there were over 170,000 Japanese people living in Korea. The Japanese created a feudal state where they owned the land and the Koreans worked the fields.

Also, no written Korean language was allowed, and banned in all schools. Forced conscription as hard labours and sex slaves for Imperial Japanese Army, also as low rank soldiers brutally controlled by Japanese officials as cannon folder during WW2.

There are a lot more, including the battleship island forced labours doing mining works etc. Koreans were treated like inhuman from 1876 to 1945 when Japan was occupying Korea.

The provisional government of the Republic of Korea was founded 1919 in Shanghai, China. The provisional government was dissolved in 1948, 3 years after defeat of Japan, and the Republic of Korea was officially formed on Korean soil.

After the Tang Dynasty, the Koreans and the Chinese practically enjoyed an allied relationship. They fought together when Japan tried to invade Korea en route to attacking China in the Imjin War, again during the Manchu-Ming war, and during the First Sino Japanese War, which turned Korea into a Japanese colony. For over a millennia, relations have been very good between China and Korea. But relations with Japan is another story. When Japan tried to use Korea as a stepping stone to invading the Ming Dynasty, they killed hundreds of thousands of Korean civilians during the war. IIRC, they created huge pyramids of slaughtered Korean heads to incite fear. In the early 1900s, as lcloo stated, Koreans were basically used for slave labor and conscription by Japan (the movie "My Way" depicts this very well). This is not to mention the hundreds of thousands of Korean comfort women used by the IJA during WWII. This long animosity and Japan's reluctance to apologize for these crimes is why Korea and Japan are enemies (this is backed up by single digit favorability rates of Japanese people in public Korean surveys). This is why these flat tops are more than likely aimed against Japan than either China or North Korea. South Korea has too been a vocal critic of Japan's rearmament.

if its right I hope our South Korean brothers will suceed without any delay and than I hope there will be a naval version of KFX :)

They must feel pressure to keep up with all their neighbors, with China still building more, Japan rebuilding their two helicopter carriers for F-35B, and even Thailand has that one "aircraft carrier" with no harriers to ferry their king around.

ACs are totally useless for SK.. their logic is buying a whole outfit just to go with the new shoes, textbook "Diderot effect"

Back
Top Bottom