What's new

South Korea begins military drill near Takeshima

What some consider 'glorification of the past' , we consider it giving homage and respect to their great sacrifice.

My grand uncles , all of whom died serving in the Imperial Japanese Navy, died fighting against the Americans.

And all of them went down with their destroyers that they served in. Their spirits are there in that shrine.

Many Japanese of the younger generation go to that shrine to visit their relatives who died in the war, and never came home. Whose bodies were lost to the jungles, to the seas.

This is, to us, also an emotional issue. But we do not wail about it openly as some people.

I think you missed my point about the Yasukuni museum

Yasukuni Shrine also operates a war museum of the history of Japan (the Yūshūkan), which some observers[who?] have criticized as presenting a revisionist interpretation. A documentary-style video shown to museum visitors portrays Japan's conquest of East Asia during the pre-World War II period as an effort to save the region from the imperial advances of the colonial Western powers called the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere". Displays portray Japan as a victim of foreign influence, especially Western undermining of trade.[citation needed]

Critics say the museum fails to portray any atrocities committed by the Japanese Imperial Army. On the invasion of Nanking, the museum omits any mention of the massacre and states that "General Iwane Matsui issued orders to observe military rules to the letter. The Japanese established a safety zone for Chinese civilians and made a special effort to protect historical and cultural sites. Inside the city, residents were once again able to live their lives in peace."[9] - Wikipedia

I don't see a problem with a memorial for the war dead. The responsibility of the war should not be placed on ordinary soldiers, rather the leadership. Even for war criminals - I don't see why criminals can't be in memorials.

The problem is the narrative of the museum.

Yasukuni Shrine also operates a war museum of the history of Japan (the Yūshūkan), which some observers[who?] have criticized as presenting a revisionist interpretation. A documentary-style video shown to museum visitors portrays Japan's conquest of East Asia during the pre-World War II period as an effort to save the region from the imperial advances of the colonial Western powers called the "Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere". Displays portray Japan as a victim of foreign influence, especially Western undermining of trade.[citation needed]

Critics say the museum fails to portray any atrocities committed by the Japanese Imperial Army. On the invasion of Nanking, the museum omits any mention of the massacre and states that "General Iwane Matsui issued orders to observe military rules to the letter. The Japanese established a safety zone for Chinese civilians and made a special effort to protect historical and cultural sites. Inside the city, residents were once again able to live their lives in peace."[9] - Wikipedia

I don't see a problem with a memorial for the war dead. The responsibility of the war should not be placed on ordinary soldiers, rather the leadership. Even for war criminals - I don't see why criminals can't be in memorials.

You are posting verbatim from wikipedia. Please read more about the issue and its complexities more thoroughly. In addition, I have been to Arlington National Memorial Cemetery, as also have been to Gettysburg Battlefield and countless other historical sites in the United States. The American people have a deep respect for their war dead, even if they were confederates who fought against the Union cause. This sense of respect for the dead is the same and it applies for our scenario.

But don't we all do it, mate? I mean almost every program, every show and every series in USA including every movie made always shows US as the saviour of the world whereas it is usually either a botched operation or simply brute interference and arm twisting.

Why just blame Japanese?

Your law enforcement recently send 100 armed officers into a civilian's ranch, declared a no-fly one over his house and your law maker also threatened to drone him and his family out, while no one gave a damn. So should Japan or any other country condemn such actions and doubt US government for human rights?

My point is, what is gone, is gone. There is no use of trying to make a Germany out of Japan. The guilt industry has to go.

War got over, the new generations came forward and shook hands, now it is time to stop meddling in internal affairs of other countries.

But don't we all do it, mate? I mean almost every program, every show and every series in USA including every movie made always shows US as the saviour of the world whereas it is usually either a botched operation or simply brute interference and arm twisting.

Why just blame Japanese?

Your law enforcement recently send 100 armed officers into a civilian's ranch, declared a no-fly one over his house and your law maker also threatened to drone him and his family out, while no one gave a damn. So should Japan or any other country condemn such actions and doubt US government for human rights?

My point is, what is gone, is gone. There is no use of trying to make a Germany out of Japan. The guilt industry has to go.

War got over, the new generations came forward and shook hands, now it is time to stop meddling in internal affairs of other countries.

Thank you @Tshering22 . Well said, brother.

Why just blame Japanese?

A lot of Americans know that their media is full of lies, unfortunately, it makes a lot of money from the more gullible aspect of American society hence it reinforces itself and a vicious cycle is formed.

You are posting verbatim from wikipedia. Please read more about the issue and its complexities more thoroughly. In addition, I have been to Arlington National Memorial Cemetery, as also have been to Gettysburg Battlefield and countless other historical sites in the United States. The American people have a deep respect for their war dead, even if they were confederates who fought against the Union cause. This sense of respect for the dead is the same and it applies for our scenario.

Can you explain the complexity of the narrative of the museum?

I think if the musem is changed so it offers a more balanced view of history, less people will have an issue with Yasukuni,

A lot of Americans know that their media is full of lies, unfortunately, it makes a lot of money from the more gullible aspect of American society hence it reinforces itself and a vicious cycle is formed.

And still the people in your country cannot dare to oppose your government especially these days when authorities just pull up random innocent Americans and take them in for false charges or the rising rates of police aggression against those who haven't done anything.

I am not being anti-American here; just saying that stuff happens as much in your country as much as it did with Japan.

Do you know the biggest butchers of WW2 were not Japanese or Germans but British?

Did your allied governments tell you how they were responsible for the death of almost 5 million Indians in Bengal out of a famine that destroyed lakhs of families?

All because of one vermin called Winston Churchill.

Do you know how many Indian troops had to die because of the filthy behavior of British then?

So does it mean that we to this day threaten UK to apologize or nuke them even though we are capable of taking them on?

No right?

That, is called maturity.

Today's British aren't responsible for the deaths of Indians of the past. Same way, for the Japanese and even the Germans that you have chained with threats and hidden agreements.

And still the people in your country cannot dare to oppose your government especially these days when authorities just pull up random innocent Americans and take them in for false charges or the rising rates of police aggression against those who haven't done anything.

I am not being anti-American here; just saying that stuff happens as much in your country as much as it did with Japan.

Do you know the biggest butchers of WW2 were not Japanese or Germans but British?

Did your allied governments tell you how they were responsible for the death of almost 5 million Indians in Bengal out of a famine that destroyed lakhs of families?

All because of one vermin called Winston Churchill.

Do you know how many Indian troops had to die because of the filthy behavior of British then?

So does it mean that we to this day threaten UK to apologize or nuke them even though we are capable of taking them on?

No right?

That, is called maturity.

Today's British aren't responsible for the deaths of Indians of the past. Same way, for the Japanese and even the Germans that you have chained with threats and hidden agreements.

You missed my point, I never said that modern Japanese and Germans should be blamed for the crimes of their great grandfathers.

It is indeed unfortunate that many Indians suffered from British rule.

While America is not perfect, it still has one of the highest GDP per capita and HDI in the world. Americans tend to live a very decent life with no police brutality or oppression (unless you are black/mexican/muslim).

Abe is maintaining continuity, Prime Ministers before him visited the state shrine, even the loved Koizumi. The point is, the Kankukojin (Koreans) are very fond of bringing up historical issues when it suits them.

They are very predictable.

The Japan side wants to build positive relations, we want to have a cooperative environment wherein we work together with both Kankukojin and Chugokojin (Koreans and Chinese) in the region.

Yes, Japanese want cooperation by saying this than going to do the opposite such as visiting the Yasukuni shrine. Japan want cooperateion, yet "buys" Daiyu Islands and said they brought it off another Jap for $28m causing tension with China.

Japan want cooperation with Korea byt the Japanese government maintains the islands are an inherent part of Japan's territory. It says South Korea is occupying them illegally. Japan want cooperation and prosperity with all its Asian neightbours by falsifying history and teaching the students that Japanese were victims of world war two.

Japan is a two face animal fooling no one in the world but Vietnam and Phillippines.

You missed my point, I never said that modern Japanese and Germans should be blamed for the crimes of their great grandfathers.

It is indeed unfortunate that many Indians suffered from British rule.

While America is not perfect, it still has one of the highest GDP per capita and HDI in the world. Americans tend to live a very decent life with no police brutality or oppression (unless you are black/mexican/muslim).

:lol:

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with anything. You're the one that's missing points. :coffee:

Japan has territorial disputes with every one of her neighbors! Japan is totally isolated in Asia even by another US ally South Korea. When China strikes Japan with a fuel and food blockade and strategic firebombing on all population centers, liberating the Ryukyu islanders, the whole East Asia will cheer with pleasure.

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with anything. You're the one that's missing points. :coffee:

I was responding to Tshering22's assertion that America is some sort of police state, mostly agreeing, but America's problem is more so due to racism rather than a structural part of American society.

Reuters / Tuesday, February 10, 2015
A South Korean army K-2 tank fires during an annual live-fire military exercise in Yangpyeong February 11, 2015. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

r

Based on my observation, this seems to be the heart of the issue.
Japan thinks the historical issue is fully settled, Korea does not.

But why do Koreans think the historical issue is not resolved. Does Japanese domestic politics also play a role? Try too see when Japan-Korean relations were good (Nakashone era), how was the domestic politics of japan different?

The issue is anything but settled even for Japan, as shown recently as well
Japan's global PR message could misfire with focus on wartime past ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

A push by Japan to correct perceived bias in accounts of the country’s wartime past is creating a row that risks muddling the positive message in a mammoth public relations campaign to win friends abroad.

The PR campaign, which has a budget of over half a billion dollars, comes as Prime Minister Shinzo Abe aims to adopt a less apologetic stance on Japan’s actions before and during World War Two and ease the fetters imposed on defense policy by Japan’s post-war, pacifist constitution.

History is hardly the sole focus of the PR program. Many of the funds will be used for soft-power initiatives to cultivate “pro-Japan” foreigners, such as supporting Japan studies at universities and setting up “Japan House” centers to promote the “Japan Brand”.

But the government is also targeting wartime accounts by overseas textbook publishers and others that it sees as incorrect and damaging to Japan’s image.

One such effort has already sparked a backlash.

Nineteen historians from U.S. universities have written a letter of protest against a recent request by the Japanese government to publisher McGraw Hill Education to revise its account of “comfort women”, the term used in Japan for those forced to work in Japanese military brothels.

The request was rejected.

“We stand with the many historians in Japan and elsewhere who have worked to bring to light the facts about this and other atrocities of World War II. We practice and produce history to learn from the past,” says the letter, a copy of which was seen by Reuters and which will be carried in the March edition of the American Historical Association’s newsletter.

“We therefore oppose the efforts of states or special interests to pressure publishers or historians to alter the results of their research for political purposes,” it added.

Abe himself has signalled support for the more aggressive PR push. “Being modest does not receive recognition in the international community, and we must argue points when necessary,” he recently told a parliamentary panel.

The effort comes at a touchy time as Asia marks the 70th anniversary of World War Two’s end with bitter memories not yet laid to rest, especially in China and North and South Korea.

After a decade of shrinking spending on public diplomacy, Japan’s foreign ministry won a total 70 billion yen for strategic communications in an extra budget for 2014/15 and the initial budget for the next year from April - up from just 20 billion yen in the initial 2014/15 budget.

Many politicians and officials worry Japan has been outmaneuvered by the aggressive public diplomacy of regional rivals China and South Korea.

“Many countries are investing hugely in this field and we feel we were not investing enough,” said a Japanese foreign ministry official.

Conservatives have welcomed the bigger budget but want priority placed on correcting perceived errors about history.

“When we see lots of misunderstanding or prejudice against Japan’s history, we’d like to at least set the record straight,” said Yoshiko Sakurai, a journalist and head of the Japan Institute for National Fundamentals, a conservative think tank.

“We have already lost (the information war). Now we have to recover,” she told Reuters in an interview.

Aware of the danger of a backlash, diplomats seem to have mitigated pressure to make the “Japan House” centers - to be set up first in London, Los Angeles and Sao Paulo in late 2016 - beachheads to market an official view of history. Instead, the facilities could provide what one bureaucrat called a “platform for balanced discussion” on controversial topics, for example, by sponsoring seminars.

Conservative politicians however want bolder steps.

“We are half-satisfied. By mobilizing all means, we must strengthen Japan’s information strategy ... so that in a real sense, we can have (others) properly understand what is good about Japan,” said ruling Liberal Democratic Party lawmaker Yoshiaki Harada, who heads a party committee on improving Japan’s communication strategy.

Experts said government efforts to seek changes in historical accounts would be counter-productive, since it would keep the issue of Japan’s wartime past in public focus.

“Dragging people into a long discussion about history ... seems like they are going to brand Japan with that atrocity in terms of its image,” said Dartmouth College professor Jennifer Lind. “It’s a losing battle.”

We are not the only one who see the trouble with their PM using Yasukuni Shrine for political purpose, but the South Korea also do. That is not crying. That is what a country protest, showing the maturity by reminding the criminal to not go back to their past.

Now in term of history, the British understand this decency and that's why they never try to glorify their atrocity and colonial rule in India. In fact, Indian are very lucky to be under British rule consider they built railroad in India and gift you South Tibet.

The fact is that during those days in all of east asia(and beyond) only china, korea and japan were spared of the fate of being fully colonised, beaten and humiliated but still mostly free, for any other asian nations instead to be invaded and colonised repeatadly and they were too small/weak to do anything for generations. At this point japan decided to join the club of colonial power and made korea and china their primary targets, although korea was swallowed whole and china has suffered greatly neither have given in or accepted fate of being weak and beaten, instead of shaping up own nationalism/patriotism, forming identity and unity out of hate and misery. But for other previously colonised asian nations with japan as new colonial master made little difference compared with european powers, in fact with japanese primary attention being tied elsewhere the new situation did bring beneifits to those former european colonies in asia.

Back
Top Bottom