What's new

Soldiers & religion

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Am sharing a good read , cannot post a link to it.

The Indian soldier is deeply religious, but with a difference. He respects not fears religion. In our combat units everyone follows the religion of the troops. Invariably, you will find a Malayalee Officer participate in the Aardaas at the weekly Gurdwara function, a sikh officer recite the AArti at the Saturday Mandir Parade, a Muslim officer attend Mass at the sunday church parade and an Officer participate in the Nawaz with the troops !! That is why i said that the Indian soldier Respects not fears God & Religion !!

In my regiment it is a practice that squads or a body of marching troops pay respects when going past the unit Gurudwara. As the squad approaches the Gurudwara the squad commander will give the words of command" Squad Dhinay or Bien dekh" ( Eyes Right/ Left as relevant), the squad responds by looking right/left and loudly hail" Waheguru jee ka Khalsa Waheguru jee Fateh", The squad commander if with head gear salutes and on the word of command 'Samnay Dekh"(look front) the squad goes about its business.This is a mark of respect not fear.

In 1979 i was commanding my regiments Republic Day Parade contingent. On 24 Jan a full dress rehearsal was scheduled. We lined up at the South Block early and prepared ourselves for the long March (18 Kms to Red Fort). As the series of marching columns set forth so did my contingent that had been practicing since Dec 1978. After the precision "Dhinay dekh" at the saluting base we kept marching in neat columns digging our heels into the tarmac till we reached Copernicus Marg.

At this point there was a brief halt. thereafter it was a continuous march around Cannought Place towards Ramlila Ground and onto Old Delhi. As we approached Sheeshgunj Gurdwara Sahib, as per regimental tradition i ordered "Dahinay Dekh" and dipped my sword in salute.

The devotees watching the parade were taken aback and we moved on to the Red fort. After resting our numbed and aching feet and refreshment the 3 tons took us to Palam Parade ground where we were camping. On 25 th the Camp Commandant called me and wanted to know the reason for salutations at Sheeshgunj Gurdwara.

My answer was quite simply "as per regimental tradition". there ended the matter,

On 26 Jan the Republic Day as we approached the Sheeshgunj Gurudwara sahib i bellowed my command of "Dahinay Dekh" the contingent dug their heels louder than normal and roared "Wahugurujee ka Khalsa Waheguru jee ki fateh"... this time the devotees were prepared and from all sides we were showered with rose petals and special Prasad was served to us at Red Fort !!

A soldier RESPECTS Not FEARS religion !!

Am sharing a good read , cannot post a link to it.

The Indian soldier is deeply religious, but with a difference. He respects not fears religion. In our combat units everyone follows the religion of the troops. Invariably, you will find a Malayalee Officer participate in the Aardaas at the weekly Gurdwara function, a sikh officer recite the AArti at the Saturday Mandir Parade, a Muslim officer attend Mass at the sunday church parade and an Officer participate in the Nawaz with the troops !! That is why i said that the Indian soldier Respects not fears God & Religion !!

In my regiment it is a practice that squads or a body of marching troops pay respects when going past the unit Gurudwara. As the squad approaches the Gurudwara the squad commander will give the words of command" Squad Dhinay or Bien dekh" ( Eyes Right/ Left as relevant), the squad responds by looking right/left and loudly hail" Waheguru jee ka Khalsa Waheguru jee Fateh", The squad commander if with head gear salutes and on the word of command 'Samnay Dekh"(look front) the squad goes about its business.This is a mark of respect not fear.

In 1979 i was commanding my regiments Republic Day Parade contingent. On 24 Jan a full dress rehearsal was scheduled. We lined up at the South Block early and prepared ourselves for the long March (18 Kms to Red Fort). As the series of marching columns set forth so did my contingent that had been practicing since Dec 1978. After the precision "Dhinay dekh" at the saluting base we kept marching in neat columns digging our heels into the tarmac till we reached Copernicus Marg.

At this point there was a brief halt. thereafter it was a continuous march around Cannought Place towards Ramlila Ground and onto Old Delhi. As we approached Sheeshgunj Gurdwara Sahib, as per regimental tradition i ordered "Dahinay Dekh" and dipped my sword in salute.

The devotees watching the parade were taken aback and we moved on to the Red fort. After resting our numbed and aching feet and refreshment the 3 tons took us to Palam Parade ground where we were camping. On 25 th the Camp Commandant called me and wanted to know the reason for salutations at Sheeshgunj Gurdwara.

My answer was quite simply "as per regimental tradition". there ended the matter,

On 26 Jan the Republic Day as we approached the Sheeshgunj Gurudwara sahib i bellowed my command of "Dahinay Dekh" the contingent dug their heels louder than normal and roared "Wahugurujee ka Khalsa Waheguru jee ki fateh"... this time the devotees were prepared and from all sides we were showered with rose petals and special Prasad was served to us at Red Fort !!

A soldier RESPECTS Not FEARS religion !!

agree absolutely ...that's the beauty of Indian military .

We are religious ...not fanatic !

Beautiful read, the Indian military is not only a role model for India but also for many other countries.

Which other military will give you such scenes?

99_J%26K-Sikh,christian,Musli.jpg

xin_4008030517253113092639.jpg

My father is a retired army officer. Like most of his colleagues, he believed in Allah. But they never were religious not even talking about it. He says, that's what differs Turkish military leadership from Muslim Worlds. And my bf, he was atheist :lol:

An army that does not interferes with religion but respects it's values is the only suitable way. Good Indians :)

My father is a retired army officer. Like most of his colleagues, he believed in Allah. But they never were religious not even talking about it. He says, that's what differs Turkish military leadership from Muslim Worlds. And my bf, he was atheist :lol:

An army that does not interferes with religion but respects it's values is the only suitable way. Good Indians :)

I guess your father does not know what he is talking about because most Muslim countries armies are probably the only institutions that are open to people of all religions.

I guess your father does not know what he is talking about because most Muslim countries armies are probably the only institutions that are open to people of all religions.

I am jewish. At the times when he entered, religious members were getting kicked out of service. Or officers having wives wearing headscarfs were having disciplinary points. All kinds of religious activities are restricted during duty only which is the way it should be.

Religion is not immaterial ...it has its own place .
what is dangerous is to turn it into an agenda ...
I mean to the force as a whole. To the individual soldier that is a separate issue but to the institution (well most armies anyway) the religion of the troops is irrelevant especially in the modern day.

neptune lost his religion and belief here on pdf. There was a thread about that if I remember correctly.

I am jewish. At the times when he entered, religious members were getting kicked out of service. Or officers having wives wearing headscarfs were having disciplinary points. All kinds of religious activities are restricted during duty only which is the way it should be.

You should not have revealed that now many would hate you just because of your religion. :(

Back
Top Bottom