What's new

Solar Power Solution for Home

Arsalan

THINK TANK CHAIRMAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
We have been discussing the electricity problem in Pakistan for some YEARS now. There have been debate on what the government should do to end the power crisis. Discussions have been going on about both long term and short term measures to address this problem. However, today the facts are frightening and are right in our face. The long term solutions like building dams with thousands of megawatt electricity generation capacity are too expensive and the government have failed to start any such project due to lack of both funds and devotion/commitment towards the cause. The short term solutions like setting up and supporting gas/oil run electricity power projects, IPPs running imported fuel etc have all back fired with the government debt in billions of rupees now. There is one small thing that the people and government have not really focused on even when it could have solved the problem somewhat. It is creating awareness and supporting people who can set up their own, small household solar energy setup to power their homes and take some load off the national grid, may be even contribute some electricity units at peak generation hours. There have been some steps taken in that direction but it was all too little to have any significant impact.

As per a study conducted in 2008, domestic consumption of electricity in Pakistan was around 47% and was hovering around that mark in 2012 and 2015.
Untitled.jpg

This means that out of total 22500 MW (approximate) requirement (today), around 11000MW is for our domestic needs. The shortfall hit a record high of around 9000MW in June 2018 despite the tall promises of PMLN government and have been averaging around 6000MW for some time since the state ran out of money to power the expensive oil and gas run plants which were established as a result of poor policies of government and have resulted in massive debts mentioned above. Anyway, of the total 11000 MW (appx) being consumed to power our homes, if government can manage to take even 20% off the national grid by supporting solar energy solutions, that will be around 2200MW electricity that we would be saving (total shortfall around 6000 Avg). Also as per an independent study, Pakistan can save 17% electricity via using energy conservation techniques like high efficiency fans, DC inverter air-conditioners, high efficiency electricity lights like energy savers or LEDs etc. That 17% that we can save is another 1870 MW of electricity.

In short, if the government really focuses on this side of the things, about spreading awareness about energy conservation, inviting investors to set up plants in Pakistan to make the energy efficient appliances like fans, LED lights, ACs (already happening and can be increased), solar panels, inverter units, make sure that people can get these at affordable prices, educate people that using these will not only help the country but will also reduce the load on their pockets by reducing monthly bills, this will all help solve this current and upcoming energy crisis. The newly set up plants will also create jobs, save foreign exchange and may even earn us some. Overall, it will be a win win situation and what is required is the government to start the awareness drive, educated people, may be even give some incentives to make sure more and more people understand and get ready to play their part.

It have been mentioned on multiple occasions that large photovolatic solar stations are not an ideal solution for meeting energy needs at national level, however, they are really THE PERFECT solution at domestic/private level as every household can set up and manage its own small power generation set up to power his/her home. Overall, thousands of such house will distribute the costs of installation and more importantly, maintenance and still get the required results of taking off the load of multiple megawatts from national grid.

A national level photovolatic solar stations producing 100 MW will need around 400000 solar panels spread across about 450 - 500 acres as a regular 250 watt plate is around 4.5ft x 6.5ft (including border) that is 29.25sq. ft
400000 panels = 11700000 sq ft
Need at least 50% space for walkways for maintenance etc
175500000. Approximately 400 acre.

Cost will be around 120 millions to 150 million US$ (with plate at 70Rs per watt), depending what sort of deal you manage to get on the panels.

Now consider the THOUSANDS of people you will need to guard this 500 acre of land, ensure that the panels are well maintained, fix any problems as they arise and distributing this 100 MW energy to houses across Pakistan. On other hand, the same amount 120-150 mil, can be shared by 35000 houses, they will be installing a 450000 to 500000 PKR solar solution that enables them to run the whole home on Solar power at day time, they will also be producing same amount, the maintenance will be zero as everyone will be taking care of his own home, line losses and distribution costs will be zero as well, not to mention the 500 acre of land spared :P. Also most importantly, you get to recover this invested amount in a few years in shape of reduction of your electricity bills. Take it one step further and government can provide net metering electricity meters so that any surplus energy is fed to the grid in peak sunlight hours. Give some intensive to people who have invested in solar solutions for their homes, make sure they get all required things at affordable rates etc and this can all play a very very important role in fighting the energy crisis.

I have a project that I want to carry out one day called the Model Village project. If Allah ever gives me the opportunity, I wish to implement it first in my own village in AJK and then go across the county village by village implementing this project.

The idea behind the project is to improve standards of living in villages using micro projects. Solar panels play a big part of this.

My plans would include;
  • use of solar panels on each household to provide as much of their power needs as possible.
  • Solar powered street lighting along the main roads and paths through villages
  • Solar powered lighting and fans in schools
  • purpose built guttering and drainage leading to a small water treatment plant
  • treated water being put back into the river, waste being taken away and used for biogas. This would encourage water recycling.
  • Biogas plants setup using human and animal waste
  • Recycling schemes in the village where people come round and collect metal, glass, paper and plastics, biodegradable waste isn't burnt but put in the biogas plant to let it ferment and create natural gas which can be bottled and used.
  • Have public waste bins in public areas which are cleared on a daily basis.
  • Where rivers or streams are available, make use of the curent of the water to make electricity using mills
I'd also with the support of local people/local government like to have the roads and paths into the villages paved to a decent standard, but that would be upto them to arrange. Unfortunately roads is such a political tool in Pakistan.

I have a project that I want to carry out one day called the Model Village project. If Allah ever gives me the opportunity, I wish to implement it first in my own village in AJK and then go across the county village by village implementing this project.

The idea behind the project is to improve standards of living in villages using micro projects. Solar panels play a big part of this.

My plans would include;
  • use of solar panels on each household to provide as much of their power needs as possible.
  • Solar powered street lighting along the main roads and paths through villages
  • Solar powered lighting and fans in schools
  • purpose built guttering and drainage leading to a small water treatment plant
  • treated water being put back into the river, waste being taken away and used for biogas. This would encourage water recycling.
  • Biogas plants setup using human and animal waste
  • Recycling schemes in the village where people come round and collect metal, glass, paper and plastics, biodegradable waste isn't burnt but put in the biogas plant to let it ferment and create natural gas which can be bottled and used.
  • Have public waste bins in public areas which are cleared on a daily basis.
  • Where rivers or streams are available, make use of the curent of the water to make electricity using mills
I'd also with the support of local people/local government like to have the roads and paths into the villages paved to a decent standard, but that would be upto them to arrange. Unfortunately roads is such a political tool in Pakistan.
hydro might be more feasible in ajk if location permits

OK so here it is @Major Sam @Dark-Destroyer @My-Analogous and all,

As we were discussing in that other thread, i am currently running a solar power solution for my home. It is enough to power my entire house during day time, that includes all fans and lights, two fridges and a freezer, two inverter ACs. The only thing that is not on Solar is the water pump, other than that the whole home is on Solar Power in day time.

You guys were interested in details and cost workings so here it is:

I have installed 14 photovoaltic solar panels. Each cost me about 18000Rs so total cost is 252000Rs
Have installed a 5kva, MPPT equipped Axpert MKS inverter from Inverex. Cost 72000Rs
Frames for installing panels on roof plus cable/wire cost - Approximately 30000Rs
Four 250A Volta tublar batteries from Volta, Cost - 22000 x 4 = 88000Rs

Total Cost: 442000 Rs

This will be enough to run:
  • All fans and lights,
  • A fridge and a freezer,
  • Two DC inverter AC,
In day time

for night, the battery will give 6+ hours back-up if you turn off the AC.

My inverter settings are that it gives first priority to Solar, second to WAPDA and third to battery. So during day time, it is consuming solar energy, when sun goes down it starts taking WAPDA and when there is loadsheeding, it will only thne shift to battery, that extends life of battery as well and keep back up of 7/8 hours easy in case there is a major break down.

As we were discussing in that other thread, i am currently running a solar power solution for my home. It is enough to power my entire house during day time, that includes all fans and lights, two fridges and a freezer, two inverter ACs. The only thing that is not on Solar is the water pump, other than that the whole home is on Solar Power in day time.

I have installed 14 photovoaltic solar panels. Each cost me about 18000Rs so total cost is 252000Rs
Have installed a 5kva, MPPT equipped Axpert MKS inverter from Inverex. Cost 72000Rs
Frames for installing panels on roof plus cable/wire cost - Approximately 30000Rs

• All fans and lights,
  • Two DC inverter AC,
In day time

My inverter settings are that it gives first priority to Solar, second to WAPDA and third to battery. So during day time, it is consuming solar energy, when sun goes down it starts taking WAPDA and when there is loadsheeding, it will only thne shift to battery, that extends life of battery as well and keep back up of 7/8 hours easy in case there is a major break down.
how much power you are getting with this setup?

• All fans and lights,
  • Two DC inverter AC,
In day time

Maintenance cost? Savings? And when did you install it? The total period?

how much power you are getting with this setup?

It is 3220 watt setup.

Maintenance cost? Savings? And when did you install it? The total period?
Maintainance cost, ZERO!
All you need is to wash the panels every month or so, i have not washed these for around 10 weeks and still its going ok but will recommend that you was these once every month. Will take 25-30 min max.

Installed it in April 2017 if i remember correctly so have used it for two summers now, very satisfied.

For savings, in winter my bill goes down to 800-1000 Rs.
In summer i am running whole home including air conditioner free of cost from 8am till 5pm. The rooms are cooled well and even when the system shifts to WAPDA the inverter AC consumes not more that 2A during night as the room is cool already.

The only bottle-neck for all such storage systems is battery (if only we had a workaround to it) and Volta is not a good choice for the above mentioned system also running fridge/freezer isn't good idea unless it uses the same technology found in inverter ACs.

Maintainance cost, ZERO!
All you need is to wash the panels every month or so, i have not washed these for around 10 weeks and still its going ok but will recommend that you was these once every month. Will take 25-30 min max.

Installed it in April 2017 if i remember correctly so have used it for two summers now, very satisfied.

I am interested in knowing about the batteries actually. Do they last long?

Have you attained / reached break even?

The only bottle-neck for all such storage systems is battery (if only we had a workaround to it) and Volta is not a good choice for the above mentioned system also running fridge/freezer isn't good idea unless it uses the same technology found in inverter ACs.
Well i am using these for 18 months or so and running actually 2 fridges and 1 freezer on this system, it is working perfectly. Still i plan to add 4 more panels and make sure the system is running at 65% 75% load only. Just to give it some breathing space :P

according to my calculations you should be getting around 13-14 units (KWh) of energy on a random day.

Well i am using these for 18 months or so and running actually 2 fridges and 1 freezer on this system, it is working perfectly. Still i plan to add 4 more panels and make sure the system is running at 65% 75% load only. Just to give it some breathing space :P
adding more panels is not a good idea unless you are thinking about adding/replacing the inverter too.

any particular company/brand .... ??
Chinese all the way. saves you precious bucks and some companies have even comparable performances to thier western counterparts.

It is 3220 watt setup.

Maintainance cost, ZERO!

For savings, in winter my bill goes down to 800-1000 Rs.
In summer i am running whole home including air conditioner free of cost from 8am till 5pm. The rooms are cooled well and even when the system shifts to WAPDA the inverter AC consumes not more that 2A during night as the room is cool already.

Congrats Sir... Its a Great work.

I had Similar plan with my house but Due to Coastal region i had to drop... i can't even have a Satellite dish on my roof for 6-12 months...

I am interested in knowing about the batteries actually. Do they last long?

Have you attained / reached break even?
Breakeven hojataha aram se mehnga alternative nae ha sirf ihtyat chahye.

Congrats Sir... Its a Great work.

I had Similar plan with my house but Due to Coastal region i had to drop... i can't even have a Satellite dish on my roof for 6-12 months...
Go for wind power.

Back
Top Bottom