What's new

Snowden Says Cisco Helped the US Spy on China

qwerrty

Reaction score
Cisco's business in China set to suffer from Prism revelations

Staff Reporter
2013-06-18
16:29 (GMT+8)

At a time when nine internet companies are believed to be involved in the US National Security Agency's Prism surveillance, Cisco Systems, one of the nine and the world's biggest IT equipment provider in cloud computing, has been involved in almost all China's major network construction projects, the Shenzhen-based Securities Times reports.

Edward Snowden, a former technical worker at the CIA and NSA last week sensationally revealed himself as the whistleblower behind leaks that uncovered secret US government surveillance programs. Snowden, an IT administrator for the defense contractor Booz Allen Hamilton, said that the UK intelligence-gathering agency GCHQ may have connections to the Prism program, which is said to give American agencies easy access to nine of the world's top internet companies, as well as the phone records of millions of people.

According to Snowden, nine companies, including Cisco, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft and Google, are involved in spying activities by giving access to their databanks to the US agencies — an accusation all nine companies swiftly denied, the report said.

However, on June 14, Facebook and Microsoft admitted that the US government had asked them to provide information on their users, and they unveiled the partial details in a bid to distance themselves from the Prism revelations as early as possible.

Meanwhile, Chinese media has turned the focus to the potential threats to China's internet security by these US internet companies, as Snowden revealed that the NSA monitored China's internet and computer operations via Cisco.

Cisco has reportedly been involved in almost all the construction of major network projects in China related to the government, customs, post offices, finance, railway, aviation, medical, military and police, as well as telecommunication networks. Cisco controls more than 70% of China's two biggest internet operators, China Telecom and China Unicom, which together account for more than 80% of the country's internet traffic.

Furthermore, Cisco is the key technology and equipment supplier to the US government and its military. Security experts are therefore worried that in the even of war, the US government could use Cisco's products around the world to create an internet war to deal a major blow to adversary countries.

Cisco has overtaken Hewlett-Packard and IBM to become the world's biggest IT equipment provider in terms of cloud computing, according to market researcher Synergy Research Group.

Cisco raked in income of more than US$1.6 billion last year in China, representing 30% of its total profits. It is expected that the Prism incident will seriously affect its business in China, while other companies such as Microsoft and Apple will also see their business in mainland China affected, the report said.

Since last year, security experts already called for the Chinese government to emphasize internet security problems. The Prism incident is a major warning and may well prompt Beijing to enact an internet security act to set clear rules to regulate purchases by the government, military and state-run enterprises.

Such legislation would inevitably benefit domestic suppliers such as Huawei and ZTE in cloud computing, data processing, IT consulting and information security, the report said. Perhaps a touch ironically, the two Chinese companies have seen their attempts to expand their business in the United States hampered by national security concerns from the US government in precisely the same manner as Cisco may be expected to experience.

wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20130618000122&cid=1101

China Unicom replaces Cisco devices over security concerns

October 26, 11:59 am | By Eric Min

China Unicom has replaced devices of Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ.CSCO) in one of the country’s most important backbone networks, citing security reasons, the 21st Century Business Herald reported.

The replacement project targets “China169” backbone network’s Cisco router in Wuxi, Jiangsu. Analysts indicated that the product vulnerability and back door problems are the main worries of China Unicom.

The move came after a congressional report branded Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. (002502.SZ) and ZTE Corp. (0763.HK, 000063.SZ) security threats in the United States. China domestic operators began to intensify network security since then, the report said.

As the world’s largest maker of networking equipment, Cisco takes high market share in China. It accounts over 70 percent share of China telecom’s 163 backbone network and over 80 percent share of China Unicom’s 169 backbone network.

163 and 169 backbone networks are the most important backbone networks of China, delivering over 80 percent data of the country’s Internet.

Cisco has ended a longstanding sales partnership with ZTE Corp. early this month.

China Unicom replaces Cisco devices over security concerns - Companies & Industries - Morning Whistle - Latest chinese economic, financial, business, political and society news

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/chines...ces-over-security-concerns.html#ixzz2Wdvu3AeC

If Cisco can do in China I am sure Huawei is doing the same in US? Afterall Huawei has some presence in US.

i thought they're friends :lol:

In March 2013 the NSA picked up 9.6 billion pieces of information from India’s computer networks, making it the fifth tracked country in the world after Iran, Pakistan, Jordan and Egypt. The top four are all Muslim countries, with Jordan also a close ally, so it’s a no-brainer why the NSA is targeting them. But has the world shifted so much on its geopolitical axis that India is now a bigger target than Russia and China?

There are two possibilities. One, the Americans are making sure India remains on its side of the fence. Secondly, if the NSA has been able to steal more data from India than from Russia and China, it only shows how powerless developing countries are against well-equipped spy agencies.
Russia & India Report
*ttp://indrus.in/blogs/2013/06/18/why_there_are_no_friends_in_the_spy_game_26211.html

All I can say is that both China and US are engaging in cyberwarfare, and no one is winning yet.

But at least china is not a hypocrite shouting thief while himself is a thief which the American are doing.

If Cisco can do in China I am sure Huawei is doing the same in US? Afterall Huawei has some presence in US.
At least china dont go around calling and insulting other of spying. We are not like some hypocrite.

In US at telecom and major corp level Huawei or Chinese devices are not accepted, let alone major backbone or govt installation.

The important point is, if Cisco is helping the US govt. spy on China, who else isit helping them spy?

Are you really sure you trust the US govt.'s motives towards India?

Snowden revealed that the US is spying on pretty much the whole world.

The hypocrisy is that they accused us of the same thing in the months before Snowden appeared and showed them up to be hypocrites.

Snowden revealed that the US is spying on pretty much the whole world.

The hypocrisy is that they accused us of the same thing in the months before Snowden appeared and showed them up to be hypocrites.

So true. At least China does not boast about 'Human-Right' and then hypocritically levels down entire countries and commit war-crimes in Iraq etc in the name of Democracy or Communism. Unfounatley America media dominates the World and have better projection of soft-power and can demonizes different civilizations (I mean just look how the way Muslims are looked at for the past decade- From Aladdin and A thousand Nights to Terrorism, failure of Multiculturalism etc), despite traditional Chinese virtues are superior to American popular culture (Lazy, encourages obisity etc)

The important point is, if Cisco is helping the US govt. spy on China, who else isit helping them spy?

Are you really sure you trust the US govt.'s motives towards India?

I don't trust US and I am sure US must have a large spy network laid across India. The point I am making here is no one is saint. If US is using its companies to spy on China and other countries, China must be doing the same. But I do really feel spying by China makes it more dangerous as compared to US because of the political dispensation that is at helm in China. No wonder there is so much uproar about Huawei across the globe including India

I don't trust US and I am sure US must have a large spy network laid across India. The point I am making here is no one is saint. If US is using its companies to spy on China and other countries, China must be doing the same. But I do really feel spying by China makes it more dangerous as compared to US because of the political dispensation that is at helm in China. No wonder there is so much uproar about Huawei across the globe including India

Nobody is saint but you will be an extra bastard if you go around accusing othes of crime which you are equally guilty. That what set China and US apart.

Nobody is saint but you will be an extra bastard if you go around accusing othes of crime which you are equally guilty. That what set China and US apart.

On this point, I agree with you.

Hasn't Huawei indicated that it will make its source codes open for examination by India, Europe or U.S.??? Isn't it enough?

I do not think cisco has similar offer to China though.

Back
Top Bottom