What's new

Smaller version of BrahMos missile being developed for IAF

StormShadow

Reaction score
New Delhi: A smaller variant of the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile is being developed for arming IAF's fighter aircraft.

A new version of the missile is to be fitted on the frontline aircraft of Air Force including Su-30MKI, Mirage 2000 and the future inductions such as the 126 multirole combat aircraft, BrahMos officials said on Tuesday.

For the first time, the Indo-Russian joint venture showcased the model of the new missile at the 15th anniversary celebrations of the tie-up between the two countries.

"Dr AS Pillai (of the venture) has assured us that BrahMos will be developing a miniaturised version of the missile for our other aircraft and the future inductions," IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said.

BrahMos officials said the range of the missile would be 290-kms and it would be smaller by around three metres as compared to the present missile.

At the moment, IAF and BrahMos are working on a Rs 6,000 crore project for integrating an air-launched BrahMos on the SU-30 MKI aircraft to allow the warplane to carry one missile under its belly.

After the new missile is developed, the SU-30MKI would be able to carry three missiles while other combat jets of the IAF would be able to carry one each, they said.

BrahMos Aerospace is also planning to carry out the underwater testfiring of the missile in near future which is expected to pave way for its induction into the Indian submarine arm.

PTI

Smaller version of BrahMos missile being developed for IAF

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've been hearing about MKI with Brahmos since 2007. Now they finally coughed up and admitted it's just impossible so they need to design a whole new missile.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've been hearing about MKI with Brahmos since 2007. Now they finally coughed up and admitted it's just impossible so they need to design a whole new missile.
Can you read? The "full size" ALCM Bhramos will be used on the MKI but it is so large only 1 can be carried on the centerline of the IAF's largest fighter (MKI). As such to enable the MKI to carry 3 and for other smaller platforms like the M2k,MIG-29K (of the IN) and Rafale to be able to carry the Bhramos they have had to build a new,smaller, type.

hongwu ....................... we have a hypersonic missile (shaurya) and a missile that can reach mach 6.5 at terminal stage brahmos 1.

cm400akg.... mach 4.5 max terminal stage :enjoy:

Don't just read, also try to understand what is written as well!

Air launched Brahmos 1 = 2.5t and around 8m lenght, only for MKIs centerline station
Air launched Brahmos 2 = less weight, possibly smaller too, which makes MKI, possibly even Rafale able to carry up to 3

he is right there's no su-30mki capable of carrying the brahmos yet. there's one picture of the brhamos under the MKI, but for testing only and probably found out that it's too heavy for the airframe..

Can you read? The "full soze" ALCM Bhramos will be used on the MKI but it is so large only 1 can be carried on the centerline of the IAF's largest fighter (MKI). As such to enable the MKI to carry 3 and for other smaller platforms like the M2k,MIG-29K (of the IN) and Rafale to be able to carry the Bhramos they have had to build a new,smaller, type.

The M2K part of the article is doubtful though, since the centerline station has size limitations, it might be able to carry 2 at the wingstations, but only with a single smaller centerline fueltank and limited range. But when you have MKIs and Rafales, later also FGFAs for this, in high numbers, why bother with M2Ks?

hongwu ....................... we have a hypersonic missile (shaurya) and a missile that can reach mach 6.5 at terminal stage brahmos 1.

cm400akg.... mach 4.5 max terminal stage :enjoy:
I can smell your fear and panic. Your imaginary missiles are no threat even to Maldives while China already sold our mach 4.5 ramjet to Pakistan ;)

Our missile is compact enough for JF-17 to arm itself with two! :lol:

The M2K part of the article is doubtful though, since the centerline station has size limitations, it might be able to carry 2 at the wingstations, but only with a single smaller centerline fueltank and limited range. But when you have MKIs and Rafales, later also FGFAs for this, in high numbers, why bother with M2Ks?

Yes I was surprised by the mention of the M2K- not heard of this one before. Agreed it is doubtful-next they'll be saying the LCA can carry 3 Bhramos ALCMs!!

Yes I was surprised by the mention of the M2K- not heard of this one before. Agreed it is doubtful-next they'll be saying the LCA can carry 3 Bhramos ALCMs!!

The quoted part was:

"Dr AS Pillai (of the venture) has assured us that BrahMos will be developing a miniaturised version of the missile for our other aircraft and the future inductions," IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said.

Which doesn't specify which other fighter and the author might have guessed it would be the M2K.

As i am saying from long time that its not possible for su 30 mki to carry 2 Brahmos and they are designing small version of brahmos.its too big and heavy that can damage airframe of su30mki.

May take couple of years to develop if we are lucky .

Agreed- getting all these different birds, from different nations, cleared to carry and fire the BHRAMOS ALCM is a headache the IAF doesn't need.

+ especially as the M2Ks are only going to be around another 15 years at most.

This new type of news is quite old, we know it from some time. Nothing new. Although ACM has stated for 1st time I guess. But it was already confirmed by officials of both parties.

Could be interesting what other a/c they have in mind.

If you could fit it to Mig 29K, it should be possible for Mig 29UPG as well, at least size and weight shouldn't be a limitation here. But then again, I think he is thinking about Rafale and FGFA mainly.

As i am saying from long time that its not possible for su 30 mki to carry 2 Brahmos

Nobody has ever stated that officially, the aim for the current version is as explained in post #5 just 1 on the centerline station, the smaller version in future then can be added to the inner wingstations as well.

Model of the current version from the Brahmos coop:

This_is_more_like_it_-_Sukhoi_with_a_single_Brahmos-1.jpg

This new type of news is quite old, we know it from some time. Nothing new. Although ACM has stated for 1st time I guess. But it was already confirmed by officials of both parties.

Exactly, the IRKUT CEO was the first to mentioned it in Defexpo 2010, this is the first Indian and IAF official confirmation.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom