What's new

Sino-German Affairs

I hope thread necromancy isn't a sin :angel:

One or two years ago former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt and German-Chinese professor Guan Yuqian were invited to a talk show, hosted by presenter Reinhold Beckmann. It mostly deals with the history of human rights and how Western leaders bring it up while talking to Chinese politicians. To be frank Schmidt has made some good points and it is impressive to see him in public in spite of his age.

Beckmann: You are aware that criticism from the West is important for China and it is of great help as well. But how much criticism can be tolerated there as far as the question about human rights is concerned, Mr Schmidt?

Schmidt: The human rights are product of Western culture. It neither exists in the Bible nor in Islam. It has its roots from the Age of Enlightenment in the West which had its base in France, Holland, Britain and especially in the United States of America, but unfortunately in Germany, it barely gained a foothold here. The idea of “human rights” has never played a role among the Inca, nor among the Toltecs, the Aztecs, the Romans, the Ancient Egyptians, the Ancient Greeks…

Beckmann: Let’s focus on today’s China. Shouldn’t human rights become universal?

Schmidt: This is the common opinion among Americans, not mine.

Beckmann: Why not?

Schmidt: Why should it be my opinion? What reasons do you have for this? I believe that this drive for indoctrination and mission is a very Western peculiarity.

(...)

Beckmann: As a politician, aren’t you obliged to talk about human rights when you’re visiting China?

Schmidt: I’m going to reiterate my view. Human rights originated from European culture 300-400 years ago. Before 1500 A.D. no one has ever talked about human rights. Not a single Catholic pope and not even Martin Luther. They don’t appear in the Bible either, neither in the Old nor in the New Testament. As an old man, I would even lay into the opponents with my fists, the opponents who would dare to eradicate the rights in my own country, the rights of persons, the human rights. However, I oppose meddling in China’s own affairs, in India’s, in Iran’s… I disapprove of how the Western culture becomes an advocate for human rights which pertains to Amnesty International, for instance. I disapprove of how they act as an advocate for the entire humanity, while in fact they’re militating for not even a fraction of humanity.

Beckmann: Mr Schmidt, you see the efforts of Amnesty International as superfluous…

Schmidt: No, this is not the point. I’m one of those who donate money to them every year. I don’t deem them unnecessary but I consider them hyperbolic and I think they’re in danger of arrogance. One is short of every respect for civilisations with a very long cultural history, such as the Chinese.

@Götterdämmerung @Shotgunner51 @AndrewJin @TaiShang @Martian2 @ChineseTiger1986 @Chinese-Dragon @IR-TR @XiangLong @+4vsgorillas-Apebane and everyone else.

Exactly. Legally, 'human rights' is just a concept enshrined in the UN charters after 'the victors' forced it upon the world. When we look at it really, even the UN isn't at all representative of 'the world'. These are all Western founded institutions. And indeed, Amnesty is the biggest ngo in the world, all for supporting regime change etc. But hey, you need to be strong to counter those things.

Exactly. Legally, 'human rights' is just a concept enshrined in the UN charters after 'the victors' forced it upon the world. When we look at it really, even the UN isn't at all representative of 'the world'. These are all Western founded institutions. And indeed, Amnesty is the biggest ngo in the world, all for supporting regime change etc. But hey, you need to be strong to counter those things.
People hold different views about "human rights".
I think the fundamental level is the right to live, have access to food, water, electricity, education, health care, etc.
Only after u achieve this basic level, are u supposed to seek for the western standards of human rights.
In most cases, they are neglecting the right to live when they are forcing a backward developing country to transform.

Back
Top Bottom