What's new

Singapore starts to reopen for travel, as ‘zero covid’ clips wings of rival Hong Kong

Does Singapore opening up mean everyone went to Singapore without quarantine for 2-3 weeks?

Quarantine is no use because virus hides in the body in low quantities (some millions) to avoid triggering immune system and person tests negative and when the time is right they activate and multiply into many billions.
And yet Singapore has 76 total deaths out of total 86K cases, while HK has 213 deaths out of 12K cases.

View attachment 780300View attachment 780302

FYI our overall death rate since last year is around 0.09%, and around 0.01% for the fully vaccinated. In comparison, the seasonal flu has an estimated death rate of around 0.1% in the US.

View attachment 780307

Singapore's extremely low fatality rate shows that 'living with Covid' is not the wrong approach, especially when 82% of our population are already fully vaccinated.

We're tightening restrictions not really because to save lives from covid, but to reduce pressure on our healthcare system because we're still quarantining a large chunk of patients even when they are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. We're buying time to stabilize and disseminate information on new healthcare protocols.

It's poor planning beforehand by the government, but we're still heading towards the general direction of 'living with covid'.

Covid-19 is a kind of common cold. It transmits without symptoms. It's too expensive to test every person every day. Humans will learn to live with virus on this planet. All are God's children. No need to kill each other off.

Covid-19 is a kind of common cold. It transmits without symptoms. It's too expensive to test every person every day. Humans will learn to live with virus on this planet. All are God's children. No need to kill each other off.
LOL why not you intentionally inject Covid 19 virus, if it is common cold lol, get out of your stupidity

LOL why not you intentionally inject Covid 19 virus, if it is common cold lol, get out of your stupidity

I had covid 10 times since December 2019. I am now half human half covid. I have long covid. This is because covid DNA got stitched into my DNA. Human DNA is about 8% virus, 1% human.

I had covid 10 times since December 2019. I am now half human half covid. I have long covid. This is because covid DNA got stitched into my DNA. Human DNA is about 8% virus, 1% human.

lol what stupidity and pseudo scientific website lol just lol, this is similar to CO2 emission stupidity

lol what stupidity and pseudo scientific website lol just lol, this is similar to CO2 emission stupidity

Yeah baby. I am half human half covid now. Woohoo! After getting covid earlier this year, I never felt better. Read this.

Yeah baby. I am half human half covid now. Woohoo! After getting covid earlier this year, I never felt better. Read this.

good for you but we don't want to be infected by Covid 19, your stupidity has no limit

Yup

Last year, you are just an ordinary man.

This year, you are batman!

LOL if you want to die or having a diseases its good for you, we don't want to be sick or die lol

Death is part of life. Covid kills about 0.3% of infected. Not too bad. The people who get long covid like me are privileged to be half human half covid. Inheritable.

Death is part of life. Covid kills about 0.3% of infected. Not too bad. The people who get long covid like me are privileged to be half human half covid. Inheritable.

Just stupid, you will definitely go that way, but we don't want it, stop your nonsense

What this thread talking about is the difference of covid-19 policy taken by both countries and the results from that. Singapore is changing it policy to 'living with covid-19' while Hong Kong is stick with with a more protective policy.

And yet Singapore has 76 total deaths out of total 86K cases, while HK has 213 deaths out of 12K cases.

The total number of covid-19 deaths is not as important as the number of deaths and covid-19 cases since the divergence of policy. The total number of covid-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic can attributed to health, age , vaccine rate, etc of the population. However, since Singapore changed to 'living with covid-19' the number of covid-19 cases are increasing again, record settings in number of cases and deaths.

Singapore's extremely low fatality rate shows that 'living with Covid' is not the wrong approach, especially when 82% of our population are already fully vaccinated.

And yet Singapore is putting back some covid restriction policy already.

We're tightening restrictions not really because to save lives from covid, but to reduce pressure on our healthcare system

Hong Kong is striking hard at covid-19 hot spots with proper mask wearing, contact tracing, soft-containtment policies to save lives.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sept 26/2021
Singapore reports a record 1,939 new COVID-19 cases, 2 more deaths

Singapore reported a record 1,939 new COVID-19 cases as of noon on Sunday (Sep 26), marking the sixth consecutive day new infections have exceeded the 1,000 mark.

MOH reported on Sunday two more fatalities, taking the national death toll to 78. There have been 23 deaths in September so far, a new monthly record.

Last edited:
The total number of covid-19 deaths is not as important as the number of deaths and covid-19 cases since the divergence of policy. The total number of covid-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic can attributed to health, age , vaccine rate, etc of the population. However, since Singapore changed to 'living with covid-19' the number of covid-19 cases are increasing again.

A strawman argument.

HK is going for zero covid, while SG is going for endemic strategy. Obviously deaths attributed to Covid will be higher for SG after the divergence in policy.

And yet Singapore is putting back some covid restriction policy already.

Did you even read my post on the death rate for vaccinated individuals compared to the flu, and why we are tightening restrictions?

We're tightening restrictions not really because to save lives, since we have already expected that when we loosen restrictions.

August:
"The only way to have no deaths from a disease anywhere in the world is to eliminate the disease altogether and that has only been done for smallpox," said Paul Tambyah, president of the Asia Pacific Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infection.

Singapore has reported only 44 COVID-19 deaths since the outbreak started in early January 2020. That compares with about 800 flu-related deaths in a typical year, according to doctors, in the country with a population of 5.7 million.

"While the idea of hundreds of COVID deaths seems shocking compared to the deaths so far and worth taking efforts to prevent, it is on par with influenza, which society hardly cares about," said Alex Cook, an infectious disease modelling expert at the National University of Singapore (NUS).

As many as 1,000 may die in the next year or two in Singapore if vaccinations among the elderly do not improve, he added.

Experts forecast that majority of the deaths will be among those in the oldest age group, who remain unvaccinated despite being eligible for nearly half the year.

The country's health minister, Ong Ye Kung said this month that as the economy opens up, Singaporeans must "be psychologically prepared that the death toll due to COVID-19 will likely also go up."

Early results from mathematical models suggest that the expected number of deaths from seniors aged 60 and above will be about 480 in 2022, said Teo Yik Ying, dean of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health at NUS.

Other nations that had early successes with the virus, such as Australia, are also shifting their strategies to brace for more COVID-19 deaths in an era where the disease is here to stay. But as one of the world's most vaccinated countries, Singapore may be the first to show what that really means.

"If countries start to move towards an endemic COVID-19 strategy, the expectation is that there will be more related deaths, although it is still unclear how many of these will be excess mortality and how many would have occurred regardless of COVID-19," said Teo.

We're tightening restrictions temporarily to buy time for healthcare protocols to stabilize and for the public to understand that you're not supposed to go to the A&E out of fear when you belong to the low risk group (young and vaccinated). Just like you don't go to the hospital when you catch a cold.

It's poor planning beforehand; we prepared enough ICU beds for high-risk individuals but there is a lack of preparation on how to quarantine the sudden-surge in low-risk individuals.

However, the the general direction we're heading is still towards an endemic stage. The current restrictions are a detour, not a U-turn to adopt a zero covid policy like HK as you're trying to frame it.

Last edited:
After getting covid earlier this year, I am now half human half covid. And I never felt better. Zero covid is not a viable strategy. It is too expensive to test every person every day. Also, covid transmits in the air without symptoms. So it is nearly impossible to stop. Covid is not evil. Covid is simply the next step in human evolution. Rather than fight it, people should embrace it.

What do you think?

@White and Green with M/S @Mista @jamal18 @mike2000 is back @F-22Raptor @Hamartia Antidote @Suika @vostok @ChineseTiger1986 @beijingwalker @nang2 @UKBengali @925boy @gambit @hyperman @aziqbal @denel @Daniel808 @Menthol @Indos

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom